cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fees

Ebay not only charges the sellers 12.9% on whats sold but ALSO the TAX amount and shipping costs; EX sold an item for $1000 Shipping $1000 Tax $1000 Ebay charges the Seller 12.9% on the ENTIRE $3000 = $389.00 is taken from the seller when it needs to be ONLY 12.9% from the final product selling price which was $1000 = $129.00 Ebay charges 12.9% on everything dealing with money from the seller Ebay forces the seller to use shipping labels that need to be edited so what the sellers pays for eBays mistake and is charged 12.9% as well Bbay is no different from the MOB

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Fees

If you had read the policy on seller fees you wouldn't be so surprized.

Fees are taken from the total amount paid by the buyer price of the item+shipping +tax (if applicable) 12.9% plus 30 cents per transaction.

Selling fees | eBay

ebay doesn't force you to use their labels , you can get your labels anywhere you want.

You shouldn't be editing shipping addresses it voids your seller protection.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Fees

eBay's fees and rules are listed in several places.  They are not a secret.  Unfortunately, there's no way that new sellers can be forced to read the terms and conditions before beginning to sell on eBay.  

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Fees

You said $1000 item, $1000 shipping, $1000 tax- $$3000 total and fee is $389? and it needs to be 12.9 % of the selling ptice.

Well, no. You are wrong on two counts. The fee is on the selling cost plus shipping and tax. And I've never heard of a state charging $1000  sales tax on a $1000 item with a shipping cost of $1000. $2000 does not get charged $1000 sales tax. In FL  in the city I live in the sales tax would be 7.5%,  $150.  eBay's fee would be on $2150 not $3000. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Fees

The judicious placement of commas and periods would make your rant more understandable.

"Ebay not only charges the sellers 12.9% on whats sold but ALSO the TAX amount and shipping costs . . . ."

Yes.  We know.  

". . . Ebay charges the Seller 12.9% on the ENTIRE $3000 = $389.00 is taken from the seller when it needs to be ONLY 12.9% from the final product selling price . . . ."

Most of the rants we read about the final value fees declare that eBay "should" charge only whatever the ranter thinks.  This poster goes even further, stating what eBay "needs" to charge.  

"Ebay charges 12.9% on everything dealing with money from the seller"

Yes.  True.  The final value fee (FVF) is charged on the total amount paid by the buyer.   If it will help this poster or other new sellers understand the FVF by saying it is charged on "everything dealing with money", so be it.  

BTW, OP, there is one other component to the FVF.  eBay charges the seller 30 cents per order on ALL sales.  And some categories of products carry a lower or higher percentage than the standard 12.9%. 

Organized Crime?  Really?  

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Fees

Your numbers are off.   Anyway, don't forget that the lowest fee is 12.9% PLUS 30 CENTS.    Ebay policy is clearly stated on how ebay calculates their fees.  It's YOUR fault you did not read it before deciding to list  the item.  If you want to continue to sell, always charge a price that is high enough to cover all of the ebay fees and all of your expenses too.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Fees

Everyone that lists knows that by simply clicking at the bottom of EVERY LISTING created:

List it for free.

final value fee- opens in new window or tab applies when your item sells. 

and if you click that blue underlined verbiage, it takes you to:

Final value fees

We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Fees

@gato_7821 

The bike has sold 4 times. Did anyone ever pay you for the bike? Did you refund? Did you cancel any of those transactions? What was the reason for cancellation?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Fees

Not meaning to be rude- but why do you care? Thats really none of your business- Thats between myself and the buyer Right. If you need to know these answers I feel it would be best to hear it from the Buyer not the seller-

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Fees

LOL.since only you, as the seller can see the buyers id, that would be impossible.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Fees

So, you are saying ebay's fees would be even more than the $389 in the original example!  Ebay would get $2150 for the sale of a $1000 item plus your expenses of shipping and the fee on the tax (obviously you would not be paying the tax, the buyer would and ebay would take it out automatically) so you would never see the $1000 tax in your example.  Ebay would also get promotional fees if you are using promotions.  They would get more profit than the seller for sure.  They have a racket, but at least they have customer service that you can talk to, unlike some of the other online sales platforms.  It would be nice if those money fees were gone completely or were nominal like 10 cents for echecks.  But ebay loves making money off of sellers expenses, everytime the post office charges more, ebay makes more, as the seller earns less.  Unless you are getting your merchandise free or near free it is just about impossible to make money as a casual seller on ebay now.  Since there is a constant influx of new sellers who do not understand business at all and who are loosing money all the time, BUT ebay always makes money, 99 c items net ebay 13 cents plus .30 cents plus $12.9% of the shipping cost which is at least 4.24 and going up in 4 days and 12.9% on the tax on purchase price plus shipping.  So you will lose monty on your 99 cent item even if you got it free.  This is why ebay constantly badgers you to list, list, list and promot, promote, promote.  The latest scam is a fee on promotions up front (before the item sells) for auctions.  You could really go into debt quickly if you did not know what was happening.  Ebay is not a friendly flea market, where you pay $25 for a space and everything you sell is 100% yours.  And customers do not pay retail for ebay items, they expect a 75% discount....a loosing game for resale casual sellers trying to make ends meet.  And yes the 1099K which will go into effect this year (if you can't prove what you paid for something, it will be considered zero and the IRS will take that little chunk of profit you made after everything above comes out.  Gotta love the ingenuity of ebay.  And now their latest nasty is automatic payments which denies the buyer combined shipping and forces to pay for each item individualy.  Even if you make arrangements with the seller for  a lower price or discount, you can not get a total in your cart because you are on auto pay and you CAN NOT GET OFF OR 

END IT!  It is random and if you are unfortunate enough to have your account so impacted, it will cost you again and again.  And your loss is ebays gain.  As a buyer I hate it, as a seller, I have lots of unpaid items and business has dropped off greatly in the last year or so since this insane policy too hold.  In the past ebay did things to make sellers feel like they were appreciated, I remember free promotions for top sellers, 20% discount on fees for top sellers, ebay bucks for everyone for purchasing on ebay, first reduced, then removed for newbies, now mine shows 0 no matter how much I buy!    I don't remember the last time I got a credit for an issue that ebay caused.  Used to be that if something they did, lost you money and took effort and time to fix, they would give you a credit for your trouble.  Now they never solve anything and it is just your tough luck when things go awry.  The software gets easier to work with but has limitations and one listing looks like another, the fun of shopping on ebay has mostly died.  It is now just a big player game, with those buying pallets of stuff from China selling thousands of items.   I could go on, I'm tired of it all.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Fees

Ebay would get $2150 for the sale of a $1000 item

I could not read the wall of text beyond that line.

No one said that eBay would get $2150

What was said is that the eBay "fees" would be based on $2150 in the example provided.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Fees

Correct, no $1000 tax

OP is just tossing out some figures that add up too that $3000 (including shipping & sales tax) sale as an example.

As all have pointed out, eBay fees are on the entire buyer payment.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Fees

It's my opinion that a 12.9% fee is a little high, but ultimately it's our decision whether or not to sell on eBay.  I can even understand the idea behind charging a fee on shipping.  Many sellers inflate shipping costs, or used to, to make more money and get around the final value fee, but charging us a fee on taxes, that's utterly ridiculous! 

I don't feel surprised or uninformed about the fees, I just feel the need to voice my frustration about a policy driven by greed!

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Fees

Ebay has to pay a company to handle all the collecting, reporting and submittiing the sales tax $ collected in 45 states with variances of taxes collected for up to 3900 counties in the USA.

That new requirement caused the site to hire a company to do that work. Although the 'new law' is a 3rd Party Selling Requirement of the site, they have every right, and should, charge the extra $$ required to do this work. 

or...they could just raise fees to 15%.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply