cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boycott eBay Due To Managed Payments!

eBay is a major player in the secondhand sale market and is an integral part of moving merchandise for a seller.  However,  I'm really getting tired of eBay's managed payment policies.  Once again a buyer opened a return.  Apparently they purchased a gift and the recipient didn't want it.  So now after almost the 30 day return window they decide to return.  

Here's the problem, managed payments is withholding my funds from future payouts in the amount of this transaction, which is well over $ 2,000.   In my opinion this is an unethical policy and I'm a Top Rated Seller for a reason.  I deliver exceptional service and I will refund my customer, once I get the item back in its original condition.  So the buyer has until February 17th to return this item and 2 business days have passed by and they have yet to return it.  So my funds from future sales are on hold until they return the item an I issue a refund. 

Does anyone else agree with this, as unethical business practices on behalf of eBay's managed payments?  

I sell on Mercari, Offer Up, and Poshmark, and they don't have these policies in place for returns.  

I believe in order to be taken seriously we would have to get over 500,000 sellers or more to boycott eBay.  That's the only manner we can be heard.   Until then, if I decide to boycott along with a few others, nothing will be done,  we are replaceable and expendable. 

Message 1 of 167
latest reply
166 REPLIES 166

Re: Boycott eBay Due To Managed Payments!

Brian, please tell me anything  in my statement that goes against the rules for posting, and, I have already cleared this with your customer service. 

It's amazing how none of the customer service folks that I have spoken to were able to defend the new payment system.  All I have heard is that CS constantly brings this up at meetings but for us sellers all we hear are crickets.

Ebay claims MP is great for us seller but that is nothing but a lie, nothing about the new payment system benefits the sellers, however Ebay makes almost another 3 points of our money and then holds our money while it's "processing".

As soon as my goods are gone, I will be gone, at least as far as being a seller, after that maybe my blood pressure will go down.

Message 121 of 167
latest reply

@kozmo_kramer wrote:

Our money sits in your bank for days before we are able to use it to purchase new products to keep our businesses open.

How does our money set in their banks for days?

Until the payment is processed and they receive the funds, there is no money to hold.

Unless you chose weekly payouts, your funds are sent to your checking account on the next business day after it's available.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 122 of 167
latest reply

@kozmo_kramer wrote:

Basically this is my way of letting people know what they have done to the sellers, at least the small guys.

In regard to defects, 1) buyers do not care generally, they can even rip off the sellers and they get their money back.  I have been scammed sooooo many times by buyers and nothing ever happens to them.  2) I am not staying on this platform, I have very little listed and when those products are gone, I am gone.

This new system is nothing but a scam, Ebay had plenty of time to make this work like PayPal, but,  why would they if they can float billions of dollars yearly.  Our money sits in your bank for days before we are able to use it to purchase new products to keep our businesses open.

I have been with ebay since 1998, but no more, tired of getting screwed by buyers and now again by Ebay.

So does that mean that when you go to shop somewhere you want someone stopping you at the door to explain any and all problems they may be having with their vendors before you shop in their store or on their website?  What possible good could come from that?

Delaying shipment has NOTHING to do with a buyer potential for "scamming" you.  

You will find that all the other sites similar to Ebay in size ALL have their own money processing program.  There are some differences, but not necessarily good differences.  So make sure you do your homework.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 123 of 167
latest reply

@kozmo_kramer wrote:

Brian, please tell me anything  in my statement that goes against the rules for posting, and, I have already cleared this with your customer service. 

It's amazing how none of the customer service folks that I have spoken to were able to defend the new payment system.  All I have heard is that CS constantly brings this up at meetings but for us sellers all we hear are crickets.

Ebay claims MP is great for us seller but that is nothing but a lie, nothing about the new payment system benefits the sellers, however Ebay makes almost another 3 points of our money and then holds our money while it's "processing".

As soon as my goods are gone, I will be gone, at least as far as being a seller, after that maybe my blood pressure will go down.

Why do you require, desire or expect someone to "defend" MP?  What purpose could that serve?

Some people like MP, some don't, some will stay with Ebay and therefore go into MP and some won't.  It is a decision for each of us to make on our own.

For myself, I feel no need nor do I desire to "defend" MP.  I do however state the facts of how MP works and I will continue to do that as Ebay onboards more sellers each month and some come to the threads with their concerns.  I personally do this because there is so much bad information on the thread and it is my hope to give those that need it the actual facts of how MP works so that they too can make an INFORMED decision on what is best for them.  

It is my opinion that making an informed decision is extremely important.  Making this decision based on gossip and assumptions can cause harm to a seller that is just not necessary.  There are good things and there are things that I don't like about MP, but the facts are the facts and that is what I try to present to other posters and readers.

Message 124 of 167
latest reply

@kozmo_kramer wrote:

Basically this is my way of letting people know what they have done to the sellers, at least the small guys.

In regard to defects, 1) buyers do not care generally, they can even rip off the sellers and they get their money back.  I have been scammed sooooo many times by buyers and nothing ever happens to them.  2) I am not staying on this platform, I have very little listed and when those products are gone, I am gone.

This new system is nothing but a scam, Ebay had plenty of time to make this work like PayPal, but,  why would they if they can float billions of dollars yearly.  Our money sits in your bank for days before we are able to use it to purchase new products to keep our businesses open.

I have been with ebay since 1998, but no more, tired of getting screwed by buyers and now again by Ebay.

I'm a small seller.  I ship as I have always shipped.  I've been in MP for awhile now and it has never presented an issue, not once.

Sure, there is no reason for a buyer to care about defects.  But I never said that.  A seller however should care quite a bit about defects.

Ebay does NOT literally handle the money, that is Adyen.  That is the purpose of having Adyen.

There is NOTHING a buyer can do to you as far as a scam if you ship after they submit payment to Ebay.  I explained that earlier.  They can't change a thing in MP just as they NEVER could when we used PP.  There simply is NO risk.

If you are getting scams, it is by other means and has nothing to do with MP or the time between the time the buyers pay and when it hits your bank account.

Message 125 of 167
latest reply

Even if it's true that Ebay is not handling payments sellers are still being ripped off by not having their payments within a reasonable time.  As I stated before PayPal was able to do the same process and we had our money literally in our account the second we got paid and we could spend it within minutes of Paypal processing the payment.

Sellers have received NO benefits whatsoever from this change to MP,  all that was accomplished was we now receive our money sometimes a week later.  I am still waiting for payments to process from last Thursday.  From what I am being told I won't probably get my payments till Wednesday or Thursday.

Message 126 of 167
latest reply

I am not asking anyone to defend MP, nothing to defend, even customer service people know it's been a big mistake as they hear everyday how bad this has worked out for many of the sellers on Ebay.  Some on this forum have said their payments have been held longer than a week, nothing to defend whatsoever. 

The only thing I had wrong and I stand corrected is that ebay was making money off of us sellers by holding our payments, so it ends up Adyen is the company ripping us off.  

This whole switchover to MP was something that did not need to happen at all PayPal was seamless and extremely efficient with their payments to the sellers.  This was a fix for something that was not broken.

The sellers always bear the brunt of Ebays poor decisions.

Message 127 of 167
latest reply

@kozmo_kramer wrote:

Even if it's true that Ebay is not handling payments sellers are still being ripped off by not having their payments within a reasonable time.  As I stated before PayPal was able to do the same process and we had our money literally in our account the second we got paid and we could spend it within minutes of Paypal processing the payment.

Sellers have received NO benefits whatsoever from this change to MP,  all that was accomplished was we now receive our money sometimes a week later.  I am still waiting for payments to process from last Thursday.  From what I am being told I won't probably get my payments till Wednesday or Thursday.

You keep trying to fight the process instead of understanding the process.  You will cause yourself far less stress if you first learn the facts of how MP works.  Then move to how you want them to work as the two definitely are not the same.  And right now you are trying to impose how you want it to work how how it works and it simply isn't helpful for you.

When a buyer makes a payment it takes 1-2 days for that Pending payment to clear.  Then the money moves to Available funds.  From there it will transfer to the seller's bank account on the NEXT available business day for those doing Daily transfers and on the next available Wednesday for those on the Weekly transfer schedule.

If your Thursday payments did not move from Pending to Available until Friday or Saturday [1-2 days], then of course in the way MP functions right now it would not be transferred to you until Monday or Tuesday, today being Monday.

You can see the movement of your money in the Payments tab of your Seller Hub anytime you want to.  You can see on the Summary report what is scheduled to transfer and when.  And there are detailed reports and more under that same tab.

Message 128 of 167
latest reply

@kozmo_kramer wrote:

I am not asking anyone to defend MP, nothing to defend, even customer service people know it's been a big mistake as they hear everyday how bad this has worked out for many of the sellers on Ebay.  Some on this forum have said their payments have been held longer than a week, nothing to defend whatsoever. 

The only thing I had wrong and I stand corrected is that ebay was making money off of us sellers by holding our payments, so it ends up Adyen is the company ripping us off.  

This whole switchover to MP was something that did not need to happen at all PayPal was seamless and extremely efficient with their payments to the sellers.  This was a fix for something that was not broken.

The sellers always bear the brunt of Ebays poor decisions.

Haven't you paid ANY attention to what has been going on since 2015?  Yeah, it had to happen, because the two companies split and Paypal did not want to continue servicing eBay under the former conditions. Paypal is also now raising their rates on many products.  https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/6/1624118634.html

And I doubt they're hurting because they lost eBay's revenue - Paypal has boomed since the two companies split.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 129 of 167
latest reply

I don't think we will be partaking in managed payments either... there is plenty of posts about what a nightmare managed payments are... when a platform gives you only ONE payment option- it's usually because they want to bully your policies and in effect make your "their company"... It is for this exact reason we no longer sell on Amazon- do yourselves a favor and learn to not give in- you'll do better in the long rung and not work so hard. 

Message 130 of 167
latest reply

MP hasn't caused me any more work.  Actually LESS.  Because now I don't have to log into PayPal and manually transfer funds to my bank account, eBay does that automatically.   I've chosen weekly payouts--that's way better than the monthly checks I got when I was working at a salaried job--and in the two years I've been with MP I have not had a single problem.  Like clockwork, my payments show up in my (eBay only) checking account every Wednesday.

Have some sellers had problems with MP?  Certainly, there are plenty of complaints we see here--but that's in the dozens, maybe hundreds, while a million sellers are not complaining because it's working. 

From reading through a number of threads about MP it seems to me that quite a few complaints are due to a lack of understanding how it works.  Others have done a pretty good job explaining, but it seems some just don't want to hear it, or would rather run with misinformation they've ingested.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 131 of 167
latest reply

@b.a.toys wrote:

I don't think we will be partaking in managed payments either... there is plenty of posts about what a nightmare managed payments are... when a platform gives you only ONE payment option- it's usually because they want to bully your policies and in effect make your "their company"... It is for this exact reason we no longer sell on Amazon- do yourselves a favor and learn to not give in- you'll do better in the long rung and not work so hard. 

@b.a.toys 

A couple things to consider.  First you are responding to a poster that posted several months ago.  Clearly they must have changed their mind as they are currently in MP.

Now what can really get confusing is some of the complaints you have been reading.  Some are not necessarily factual.  Many posters that have never even entered MP spread all kinds of stuff across threads.  So make sure you do your own research or come and ask questions to make sure you are making your decision with the actual facts not gossip and assumptions.

You can ask any question you might have here.  And here are some links to some easy to read info that also may help you.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/How-does-the-updated-eBay-payments-experience-work-...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Have-questions-about-payments-Check-out-this-post-f...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Infographic-How-payouts-work-when-eBay-manages-paym...

Message 132 of 167
latest reply

good luck.

Message 133 of 167
latest reply

Getting back on topic - Boycott eBay.........

this is all too little too late, perhaps starting a thread such as this in 2018 when MP was introduced may have ignited more interest from sellers

In saying that I am also very pleased to note that the OP of the thread is still selling on eBay and seemingly doing well - good for you OP

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 134 of 167
latest reply

I used to spend the $20,000 I made on ebay for things I needed to buy on ebay.. NOW I AM BUYING ZERO ON EBAY because i have no money in paypal account.... I cannot be alone- they must be losing money with sales overall..

Message 135 of 167
latest reply