cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER BEWARE Canadian made cars

before you buy a car get the VIN number and run it and make sure it is not made in Canada. Chrysler and a few other automakers will not warranty the car. These dealers will sell these cars at Great unbelievable prices and they don't disclose that there is no warranty from the manufacturer. They did this to protect they're dealers in the US from Black Market sellers buying canadian-made cars in undercutting the dealers. I have a 2006 Dodge Magnum and I went through hell to have a gas tank replaced under warranty that was causing serious stalling issues making the car very unsafe to drive. My advice is if the car is made in Canada do not purchase it some of these safety recalls will happen long after the car has been bought and for the lifetime of the car. Run the VIN number make sure the car was made in the United States. I've seen models on eBay as new as 2016 made in Canada with unbelievable prices not fully disclosing. I think it should be illegal and I have emailed the FTC and my congressman.

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: BUYER BEWARE Canadian made cars

The only specs I could find on a 2006 Magnum showed either regular or premium unleaded. There was no mention of Ethanol.

If something in the tank is ruined by Ethanol then I suspect E-15 or E-85 was used. That makes it operator error. E-10 is generally survivable.

Ethanol can dissolve plastic, rubber, etc and in some cases even aluminum.

Message 76 of 97
latest reply

We don't have E85 in Washington State. 10% of our fuel has ethanol in it. There's a link on the warranty

https://customerconnect.custhelp.com/app/fiat/b2c_detail/a_id/24687

Message 77 of 97
latest reply

@thekux wrote:

We don't have E85 in Washington State. 10% of our fuel has ethanol in it. There's a link on the warranty

https://customerconnect.custhelp.com/app/fiat/b2c_detail/a_id/24687

Yes we do in Washington state have E85 fuel (aka E15 fuel) in it. Also, most of the gasoline has 10% ethanol in it, (not 10% of our fuel) and you can buy ethanol-free gasoline  anywhere in the state.

In Idaho, you can easily find 86 octane gas, don't recommend using it.

Message 78 of 97
latest reply

If it is I don't know where it's at. It's not at any of the gas stations that I use I use 89 octane that is what is the factory octane rating minimum and its 10% ethanol. It has to be clearly marked E85. If it wasn't a problem with it the factory wouldn't be putting lifetime warranties on the tanks

Message 79 of 97
latest reply

I woke up last night and had a vision.  The problem with this car is due to adding Jack Daniels to the fuel system.

You need to step up and buy a Mercedes or a Volvo.  

Message 80 of 97
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

I woke up last night and had a vision.  The problem with this car is due to adding Jack Daniels to the fuel system.

You need to step up and buy a Mercedes or a Volvo.  

Won't help. Cars made in Germany and Sweden aren't covered by Chrysler's warranty, either.... 😉

Message 81 of 97
latest reply

Message 82 of 97
latest reply

I've lined my pockets for years with Mercedes and Volvo.

Message 83 of 97
latest reply

Mercedes Volvos they have their problems like everybody else. Just letting people know it doesn't really apply to you because you don't buy a Chrysler so don't know why you need to keep commenting. Buy BMW at least those are made in the United States

Message 84 of 97
latest reply

The Dodge is 10 years old. Odds are at some point it's been fed some higher content Ethanol before you bought it. Eventually some things will catch up and cause issues.

I agree that Volve and Benz have their issues. Every car manufacturer does; including the Japanese branded cars that are claimed to be infallible. Volvos and Benzes also do not deserve the horribly bad rap they're often given. Same goes for VW and BMW.

As a long time import brand mechanic, it grates on me to no end to hear people rambling on that, "Hondas/Toyotas/Nissans/Subarus never break down".

Those people are not employed at said dealers having to repair chronic problems day in and day out.

Message 85 of 97
latest reply

The gas tank has to be able to handle ethanol. I'm just letting people know that they need to check the VIN number and should check with a dealer or Chrysler if the car it was properly imported mine was not period I had to fight with Chrysler for my gas tank replacement. Chrysler eventually did replace it but technically I still have no warranty. It had a terrible stalling problem because of it. I think Honda and I think another maker also will not cover the car if it's made in Canada and improperly imported into the United States

Message 86 of 97
latest reply

Every Nissan I have ever touched has been a total piece of **bleep**.  I would never buy a nissan.  lol

Message 87 of 97
latest reply

@autopartspuller wrote:

Every Nissan I have ever touched has been a total piece of **bleep**.  I would never buy a nissan.  lol

This has been my experience, too. I've never understood why they enjoyed the reputation that they seem to have- other than perhaps many years ago anything Japanese was more reliable than anything Detroit was putting out.

Message 88 of 97
latest reply

Just the opposite, Nissan Altima, Juke, and Rogue, each and every one of them were nice cars to own. The wife will be trading in her 2015 Chevy Equinox in the fall and is considering another Nissan Rogue. 

Neither one of us is real happy with the Chevy, regarding options and blindspots. Other than that, it's a nice little SUV and we only bought it to tow behind the motorhome. We'll look at the Honda CRV as we had one previously and my favorite was the Juke for it's power and handling.

Message 89 of 97
latest reply

What next?  You want the gas tank to withstand rocket fuel?  How about uranium 238?

Its a magic gas tank.

Message 90 of 97
latest reply