eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

ozarkjoe
Community Member

Re: Most Valuable Books - Published Since 1950

in reply to picture*books

First edtions of Carroll Quigley's "Tragedy and Hope" are routinely listed for over $1000.  

Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

in reply to bibliomonster

bibliomonster wrote:

Its no biggie.......Only that **bleep** squirrel can REALLY hijack a thread.

In the immortal words of the kid on the court house steps, "Say it ain't so Joe."

Please use plain text.
hollowayd
Community Member

in reply to tcbooksandmedia

Are we limiting this to books in English?  I am thinking of Doctor Zhivago- the Feltrinelli edition published in 1959 reasonably makes $2k in acceptable collector's condition. Or Cien Anos De Soledad by Marquez. - Sorry if this has already been discussed/determined.

Please use plain text.
bibliomonster
Community Member

in reply to ifmelfalls

Its no biggie.......Only that **bleep** squirrel can REALLY hijack a thread.

The 'DMZ' strikethrough was a reference to the Demilitarized Zone (specifically the Korean - 38th parallel) separating North and South Korea (which both started and ended there) ; the war starting in 1950 roughly coincident with our cutoff date for 'the list'.

The line across which no man (except Dennis Rodman) shall pass......

If you haven't gathered, members of the BSB will at times make unrelated historical, foreign language, political, bibliographical, scientific, etc. references in a post in an (usually unsuccessful) attempt at humor.

On some level, we're all frustrated comedians /comediennes.

We just sell books to pay the light bill.

~ Pretiumque et Causa Laboris ~
Please use plain text.
ifmelfalls
Community Member

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread with the comment about the AA book. I don't even know what DMZ means :smileytongue:
(goes to google it)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD - Small Parts

Not suitable for children under 3, ifmelfalls, or anyone else with a history of eating rhinestones.

Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

in reply to bibliomonster

bibliomonster wrote:

Oh if we could make exceptions......:smileylol:

The DMZ line is firmly held at 1950.

If we made exceptions this already daunting task would become impossible to reign in.

Actually taking this on decade by decade might be a more reasonable way to deal with this project ?

Seven, decade long lists (of > $2,000 titles) seems a manageable chore. (forgive me if this has been suggested already)

It would seem the first 3 considered decades (1950's, 1960's, 1970's) would comprise most of the eligible titles anyway.

We should post a draft of the first few decades and work on revising it over time.

We'll still need a process for voting in / accepting titles that wobble on the $2k value margin....(we'll get that figured out eventually)

Also, is this limited to fiction or is non-fiction a player ? (not that any immediately come to mind, but the mention of the AA book begs that question)

This list should be standard trade editions of fiction books published from 1950 to present which normally sell for over $2,000 in VG/VG condition. The "normally sell for over $2,000" will help to identify the wobblers (i.e. the highest price listed does not qualify a book as valued over $2,000).

Somewhere earlier in the thread the "trade edition/fiction" clarification was made to eliminate the plethora of special edition art books (i.e. Helmut Newton and such) and the many numbered, limited edition slipcase editions. 

Please use plain text.
bibliomonster
Community Member

in reply to ifmelfalls

Oh if we could make exceptions......:smileylol:

The DMZ line is firmly held at 1950.

If we made exceptions this already daunting task would become impossible to reign in.

Actually taking this on decade by decade might be a more reasonable way to deal with this project ?

Seven, decade long lists (of > $2,000 titles) seems a manageable chore. (forgive me if this has been suggested already)

It would seem the first 3 considered decades (1950's, 1960's, 1970's) would comprise most of the eligible titles anyway.

We should post a draft of the first few decades and work on revising it over time.

We'll still need a process for voting in / accepting titles that wobble on the $2k value margin....(we'll get that figured out eventually)

Also, is this limited to fiction or is non-fiction a player ? (not that any immediately come to mind, but the mention of the AA book begs that question)

~ Pretiumque et Causa Laboris ~
Please use plain text.
ifmelfalls
Community Member

in reply to tcbooksandmedia

This one is from 1941 but...

First Edition Alcoholic Anonymous, second printing recently sold for nearly $8,000.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD - Small Parts

Not suitable for children under 3, ifmelfalls, or anyone else with a history of eating rhinestones.

Please use plain text.
tcbooksandmedia
Community Member

in reply to inky960

inky960 wrote:

Any idea what a fourteenth 1957 printing, in good condition w/dust jacket - might be worth?   Pic attached - outer corners of dust jacket are somewhat crimped; this is the only "issue" - otherwise, it is very good.

Inky

Maybe like 40 bucks. Wrong thread for this.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch  - could go over $5000 and would pass the $2000 limit

Ubik   - is hovering around $2000  When you can find copies in the condition mentioned

The Borrowers   Would be over $2000 if you could find a true VG+/VG+ copy, very few copies are.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Any idea what a fourteenth 1957 printing, in good condition w/dust jacket - might be worth?   Pic attached - outer corners of dust jacket are somewhat crimped; this is the only "issue" - otherwise, it is very good.

Inky

Picture 20.jpg
Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

picture*books wrote:

Hello Michael: I was thinking >$2,000, but would be up for negotiation. Therefore:

• Published from 1950 to present.

• Standard trade edition.

• 'Market value' >$2,000 in VG+/VG+ condition, unembellished with signature.

• Single volumes only.

• Exclude limited production art books (i.e. Newton's Sumo or the like).

Maybe just compile the list of books, then one of the more industrious can later order them by value?

Arthur C. Clarke's Reach For Tomorrow?

Please use plain text.
cumos55
Community Member

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 1st edition sells for $29,875

Published in 1997...A total of 500 copies published.. 

They were not sure how the public would respond to this novel... The rest is history

Link to

http://boingboing.net/2011/03/22/harry-potter-and-the-2.html

with a link to the auction.

--- also at

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-463564/Harry-Potter-edition-sells-7-000.html

--- Also at

http://www.catchthesnitch.com/books/first_editions/

with more at

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Book-Collecting/Harry-Potter-First-Editions/td-p/87289

with reference to a 15,000 GBP sale.

Good luck in determining the top price....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Ok, that all makes a lot of sense, I guess I had assumed that there were more collectors like myself using eBay first before sites like ABE or Heritage Auctions, as obviously, using your example of the "Wrinkle in Time" (I was also one of the bidders on this one ;-)) paying ~$2200 is generally much preferable to paying the $4000-$6000  elsewhere. As for your "Collectible Children's Books  on eBay" thread, I read through the entire thing after I found it several months ago. Incredibly useful information throughout, so thank you! 

Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

I might add to the above, eBay is a very good buying venue for collectible books. This might sound contradictory, as I've said many times before here on the BSB: eBay is not a good selling venue for collectible books, but it is a good buying venue for collectible books.

I've found this especially true In my specialty area, first edition contemporary children's books with dust jackets, For the most part the primary competition for primo books are children's booksellers, who are not willing to pay anywhere close to the retail price of the book. While auctions are competitive, the prices tend to stall around the wholesale price. 

For examples, look at the prices realized for books on the 'Collectible Books on eBay' thread. The first edition Wrinkle In Time which sold for over $2,100 would be listing for $4,000-$6,000 in that condition on a traditional bookselling venue. I think the book could have sold for as high as $3,000 and the buyer would still make a nice profit. As a collector, I don't have a need for a second copy, so didn't participate competitively. If I didn't already own a copy, I would have bid over $2,500 for the copy being offered since the bookseller is quite reputable.

Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

I'm fairly new to the hobby and couldn't help but notice a significant decline in prices of many of the books mentioned here on Ebay. I was curious if this was indicative of the rare book market in general or more Ebay specific?

For contemporary collectible books published from 1920-to-present, prices on eBay tend toward wholesale rather than retail. The range is in the 30%-to-40% of the retail price one would offer from either a books-only site or a bookseller's website.

The bidders on the contemporary collectible book auctions on eBay are booksellers in many instances. They buy the book here at a price they can make a reasonable profit.

For most book collectors, eBay isn't a primary venue for obtaining books. Most sellers of book on eBay are hobbyists rather than professional booksellers, which results in a wide array of credible listings. It's a lot of work for prospective buyers to determine the actual issue of the respective book being offered, and condition descriptions vary like snowflakes.

For the most part serious book collectors prefer to purchase items from online professional booksellers, reputable auction houses, book fairs, or brick-and-mortar book stores. EBay is not front-of-mind as a collectible book venue.

Please use plain text.
obie_juan_cannoli
Community Member

1995 - Northern Lights; Philip Pullman: >$2,000

1957 - On The Road; Jack Kerouac; >$3,000

It is pretty clear from this example that "value" has nothing to do with content, or impact on the culture. 

Such a shallow People, we Amurkins

"Less in my pockets meant less on my mind".
~~~~~~~~~~guess
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Very informative discussion, I'm glad you brought it back so I wouldn't feel weird about posting on a long dead thread :smileyhappy: I'm fairly new to the hobby and couldn't help but notice a significant decline in prices of many of the books mentioned here on Ebay. I was curious if this was indicative of the rare book market in general or more Ebay specific?

Anyways, while these two are currently no where near the $5,000 mark, they are comparative price-wise with many other books previously listed. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert O'brien and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

A *bump* in time for holiday gift giving.

Please use plain text.
kbooks1
Community Member

Watership Down by Richard Adams is worth a pretty penny.

Please use plain text.