cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling valuable books

Hi I'm a new seller on eBay and I am considering selling some valuable autographed books on eBay my concern is that I may encounter a dishonest buyer and that even if I send it certified mail and have tracking confirmation of delivery the buyer can still keep the item get a refund and eBay will do nothing but open an investigation that will ultimately probably not help me as they are all about protecting the buyer not the sellers so in the end the buyer gets to keep the valuable item and get a refund I called eBay for an assurance that this would never happen but I wasn't given any insurance that I would be protected in this hypothetical scenario

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Selling valuable books

@fuerstien58_8 

There are no guarantees in life, or on eBay -- except for the eBay Money Back Guarantee, which is for the benefit of the buyer.

If a buyer opens up a "not as described" case against a seller, 99% of the time (or higher), eBay will find the seller at fault, and reward the buyer.

And an eBay "investigation" may take only as long as a few minutes -- there are generally no "in depth" investigations, and the buyer is generally the winner.

If the books are definitely valuable, you might consider selling them as "pick-up locally" items, payable only in cash.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Selling valuable books

No, you wouldn't be protected.

If you can't afford to give the item away, don't try to sell it here.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Selling valuable books

There are some means of protection - which will work in your favor,  but are not a guarantee against a dishonest buyer. Before shipping the item:

1. Take a photo of the item next to the shipping box with the buyer's mailing label affixed.

2. Take a photo of the wrapped and protected book next to the shipping box with the buyer's mailing label affixed.

3. Send a note to the buyer with the two photos, through the 'Order Details / Contact Buyer'. Tick the box 'Send a copy to my email address'.

The note should be something like this:

Hello:

Thanks for your order and fast payment!

Please see attached a photo of your book along side your shipping box, and another photo of your book protected between cardboard and bubble wrapped before being put into the box.

I'll drop your package off at the post office tomorrow morning and you will be able to track it via the eBay shipping system.

thanks,

While the above is not a guarantee against dishonest buyers, it will assist when resolving the case with eBay.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Selling valuable books

A few years ago, I sold an old Freemasonry book to a guy in Bulgaria. (200 years old). Went for 250.00, because it was in really bad shape. 

He claimed SNAD (not as described). I told him to ship it back as I had included pictures of the worst of the flaws and priced accordingly. 

Both to and from had delivery confirmation. His return required a signature. 

Well the book I sent was about 2" thick, standard HC size. The book I got back was a quarter inch thick, the size of a reader's digest. Cost him about 10% of what it should have. I signed for it, told the clerk it wasn't what it was supposed to be but I wasn't going to refuse it and lose the money. 

So I opened it, taking pictures as I did. It turned out to be some wierd black magic rocknroll crap. Well I complained to eBay. I got all my money, and I sold that piece of junk he returned for a few dollars more. 

Yes, I was protected. With Delivery confirmation, all you need to do is demand the book back. eBay will charge you for return postage. But if you don't get it back, you keep your money, and don't get charged a return fee. More than half of my complainants refuse to return the book to me in cases like these. When I get it back, if it's not what I sent, I'm covered. 

If it is, well, I have to accept the return by Federal Law, not just eBay rules. Cost of business. I don't think there really is much of a worry here, or anywhere else.  I'm well aware that demanding a low cost book back is seldom profitable in the long run, but rewarding the cheap-skates out there that think they can get a free book by whining is never a good policy: which is why I ALWAYS demand the book back.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply