cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Abuse we now take as sellers on Ebay :-( Should Read Seller

consignsite
Enthusiast

(sorry for the long thread)Ever since Ebay changed there feedback format to no more Negs to bidder's, I've had a lot of problems now. Back in the day when we could leave Negs to unruly, or non-paying bidder's, there wasn't to much trouble. I had about 7 bidder's not follow through (from 1999) with there bid's and a few mean bidder's. NOW..11 non-paying bidders, 3 rude bidder's and 1 other bidder from May 2011, that still harrasses me to this day. At least Ebay suspended him for good. I can't be the only seller being affected by this so called "new and improved" Ebay format. I long for the good ole days when I could tell if a bidder was good or not, now..we have no idea who the problem makers are?? Because of this one bidder, I no longer sell under my consignsite name and don't enjoy selling on Ebay as I once did. Now, when I see a message on Ebay Intranet, I get a little nervous and wonder "what it is now". I can no longer warn fellow seller's of any potential problems with a bidder. I also never bother a bidder anymore if they don't follow through with there bid, what's the point. They'll just say they didn't get it and we're stuck giving them there money back, whether we like it or not. I'm an excellent honst seller and don't deserve they way I am now treated by bidder's that know they have us all under a barrel. I see that this change has done nothing to improve Ebay's bottom line at the stock market, only there botom line with all the increases in fee's we now pay. Please tell me your stories and any solution idea's..I sincerly do feel my hands are tied and can no longer defend myself when I take a beating from a bidder. Be safe and thanks for reading...
G

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: The Abuse we now take as sellers ebay will do nothing as long as we keep supporting them

3331eric
Enthusiast

I stumbled on these postings because of the title and am aghast! I have always been an honest buyer, had good communication with all my sellers, and I guess I'm a little naive when it comes to these dishonest practices. I don't do business on ebay very often, and haven't in a while. Today I came across a seller whose instuctions on bidding and buying came across as the commander of a pow camp! Now I understand why. I know it doesn't do any good, but I apologize for all these buyers who have made ebay an unpleasant experience for honest sellers like yourselves. I have never had a bad experience with a seller on ebay, and always appreciated the openess with which I could communicate with a seller. I suppose that has been ruined now, and it is unfortunate and sad that some lowlifes have screwed up another perfectly good thing. Again, I'm sorry that you all have been screwed over and now no longer can trust those of us who are honest.

Message 16 of 55
latest reply

Re: The Abuse we now take as sellers ebay will do nothing as long as we keep supporting them

You don't have to sell to countries you don't ship too!!!!!!!!!

there is a place in the prob. section regarding this..use it.

Also I got caught the same way and found out I had to apply the countries I don't ship to individually in the progaming....Don't ask me were it is but it's there...this way your listing don't come up for people in these countries only those listed to be in the US.

Live and learn it's never easy.

Message 17 of 55
latest reply

After thought your FB now reads with no neg..so eBay changed it.

Message 18 of 55
latest reply

I've always let it go.too but after one bad result I clicked into the NPB auto by eBay Now they are the ones sending messages not me..and they do the work and I'm in the win possition.

Message 19 of 55
latest reply

Hello Consign.

As a buyer; I can say that I am inclined to agree with you.

Buyer feedback, especially of those with repeated instances of non-payment, shouldn't be glossed.

Virtually all sellers I have done business with have proven to be honest and reasonable.  Buyers should be able to pull their weight.

Message 20 of 55
latest reply

Wow, I am reading the 'seller blues' on this site.
I always go to the Internet and google whatever I'm looking for and two sites appear, Ebay and Amazon.
I ask questions before bidding, contact sellers about payment and if something goes wrong try to figure out a solution acceptable with seller, buyer and fits EBay criteria.
The world is getting so bad, we no longer get to look someone in the eye during business dealings.
My hope is that you don't let this bad apple rob you of future trust and success.
Best Regards,
M
Message 21 of 55
latest reply

As long as you refunded call PayPal or view your Paypal account to verify.
If PayPal shows the refund is cleared, ie not pending, no worries. They
Will cancel the transaction and the buyer will not be allowed to leave any feedback.

As a buyer he receives a message from eBay/PayPal not to cancel until refund is made
PayPal can sometimes put it in pending up to 10 business days. Just a process

Good luck in your selling career!
Message 22 of 55
latest reply

That is all fine and dandy,  but the problem is with the new critiria and the ratios.   Been ebay for 15 years and all a buyer has to do is file "not as described"  more than 1 in a 100 and you first suffer ebay holding your funds in paypal and then you will suffer restrictions in selling,  then finally selling priveledges removed.  Since many buyers know they can use this to over ride return policies or listing an item "as is"  this becomes a many to abuse the seller if they disagree with shipping or just wish to buy, check out the item, and if it is not really what they want over ride all the clearly stated contractual limitations and description in a sellers auction.  Get too high of a ratio and now malicious buyers can have a way to take away your seller priveledges on the site.  I have horrible stories that can attest to this.   Involving feedback extortion,  violent profane communication via ebay, and all though many facets were removed under buyer abuses as outlined by ebay,  the "not as described" ratio remained and after 15 years of selling and one negative feedback in almost 900 feedbacks, my seller priveledges were suspended.   Awesome new system don't you think.    I know the strategy,  keep the buyers happy even if they are completely unreasonable and keep the buyer pool with really large numbers.   This attracts the large merchandise sellers selling new items.   But the small sellers who have one off items that made ebay a good place for the buyer to find rare or unusual items,  well they are walking.    I do not make selling a profession, and I have talked to 3 or 4 other small sellers in my specific niche and they are all packing and leaving and I am helping them find the forums I am now using to sell the items that are with in our common niche.   Very soon,  ebay will be a great big digital Walmart and all the unique items from small sellers will disappear as people get tired of Ebay helping malicious buyers get their way under any circumstance.   A much better service that is truly fair to both parties of the transaction will rise up and take a percentage of the market as the small sellers with one off items leave this service or are forced out by the policies that are now in place.   Ebay will unfortunately suffer in the long run for the unreasonable difficulties they are creating for the small sellers in the present.   Good luck to you Ebay,  I am patiently waiting and looking for a trusted name brand service to rise up in the vacuum of this services incompetence.  In the mean time I am using forums for the items that are specific to my niche.

Message 23 of 55
latest reply

sorry,  there are many misspellings and I tried to add more,  but even discusing such things is a matter of controlled propaganda.   The service said I ran out of time to edit,  and it was about 5 minutes, I added some more thoughts.   So it erased all my comments and would not allow the edit.  Then when I went to do it again,  it removed the option to edit.    There is clear intent on this site and it is not one of rectification, but one of suppression and propaganda.   Good luck one and all if you are a small seller.   It has been my experience in the past year,  Ebay now has no heart to listen, no heart to be balanced or fair, and no heart to give the small seller a fair transaction.   I see the equity of such policies for the service.  I do not see any equity for the small seller.    Small sellers will pay dearly for the large buyer pool with attrocious one sided resolutions.  Good luck one and all.

Message 24 of 55
latest reply

So do you think they actually read any of the complaints we have. I started ebay a long time ago and just recently restarted selling. I dont understand how they can lower my rating and hold my payments without verification of a problem.

I get positive feedback but on the ratings they kill me. It's like saying to someone" Oh I love that shirt you look so great" and the minute they walk away the conversation is "Oh doesnt that shirt look like **bleep**!"

So Im done. I do this because I am retired and I need the extra money. I state in my auctions that I understand Bidder and Buyer remorse. I handle every question as quickly as I can and try to give my customers the best service. I have even walked away and said keep it, its not worth the fight.

I hope questioning here helps but I doubt it

Message 25 of 55
latest reply

The only thing they will pay attention to is if people have ideas on work arounds and how to establish other accounts.   There seems to be no interest in listening to the concerns of the small sellers, because sellers are viewed as employees.    Employees that are in no manner respected and easily replaced.   If any seller has an unsastified customer,  then fix it or get fired.  It does not matter how unreasonable the buyers problem is,  you have to pay them off or lose your account.   That is the nature of the beast these days.  I think they have a cut throught scrutinity in use of customer service.  Call customer service often and your account is shut off.   The corporation has their eyes squarely on greed and they would rather the small sellers leave,  but realize admitting such goals the buyers will put two and two together and realize ebay policies are responsible for the lack of the one off items that small sellers brought to the table.   I think Ebay is probably relying on the one time seller or the brand new seller to fill in where some long term small sellers have been executed.   The brand new seller will be fine until the first unreasonable complaint then they will suffer shock and amazement when they find their back to the wall in the resolution process and then most likely "out ya go."   It is the advent of the large corporate model where you just run for the greatest profit with total disregard for civility, social responsibility, and externalities.   So in summation,  your compliants will not be heard,  unless you are a very large seller.   They disbanded 15000 sellers at once with the new policies.   I say it is high time for small sellers who have been rough shod to unionize.  I would not care if there was another viable service that could compete, but ebay runs the roost and they know it.   A large sellers consumer union would keep them in check.   But until then,  they absolutely do not care about our compliants.  To do so would merely be an exercise of good business,  not grotesque profitable business, but just fair and just business.   Most big corporations in America are really not hindered with such foolish thoughts.   Ebay is just turning into one of the more grotesque with the current treatment of its small to medium sellers.   I can see and understand there focus and it makes sense in short term profits.  It is just not a fair business model,  but who is any more.

Message 26 of 55
latest reply

First no negative feedbacks for the buyer -auctions used to allow sellers greater control of the sale of their items, in that if you were not willing to roll the dice you could check a box and not allow buyers with "X" amount of feedback to bid on your auctions.   That was reduced to just a specific buyer if you had a bad run in with an atrocious buyer,  then negative feedback for buyers was removed, most likely under the guise of unbalanced behavior of sellers and creating a no retaliation environment for the buyers.

Then came the new sellers dash board, in that as a seller you could set up your auction with consideration to your over all life and if you needed extra time to get to the post office because you have a job in the real world,  such verbiage in your auction did not matter.  If the buyer was butt hurt, you were going to suffer under the new dahsboard.

Now they have an extra criteria, buyers can state whether or not they are more or less likely to buy on eBay after the experience of buying with you. 

This site is no longer an auction service where its function is to merely provide a platform to be a world wide garage sale where sellers and buyers can exchange.   Sellers are now employees and subject to termination if a single buyer is butt hurt.   There is verbiage on the internet that explains how to rip off sellers through eBay with "not as described" or other unjust actions.   With reliance on the feedback system, over time you would see who is a genuine seller and who is a genuine buyer through building of reputation.   Now it is a scenario of the buyer is always right because it is no longer a site and platform to serve to bring buyers and sellers to the same digital market place.   You work for a retailer, and they have no inventory and do not ship a single thing, you do as a seller.   The appreciation that is given for bringing your goods to their other wise complete empty store front is termination if a couple of buyer squawks.  As a seller you are only allowed 1 not as described in 100, and since there is verbiage on the net to this regard, small sellers can exceed that in a heart beat.  The sellers do all the work and suffer all the costs, so the corporate logo can have a reputation of meeting any buyers demands.  Now there is purchase guarantee and if you do not have an established paypal account you have to pony up a credit card number to get your goods to market place.   That is all good precautions providing there is a balance administration at the helm.   If there is not, and it is my contention there is indeed not, you the seller are going to pay the cost for a reputation of satisfying the buyer at any cost.  The problem will be it will be your costs that are incurred, as a seller.  Do not like it, go some where else.    Sold on eBay for over 15 years and all the long term sellers contributed to the success of the site,  but now they have gotten large and wish to have 100% satisfaction with the buyer,  the days are number for small sellers.  And those who have weighed the costs and realize the potential of world wide market visibility are just buying out problem buyers.  Happy sellers do not bring in Sony or Burberry on a global scale, extremely satisfied buyers, even the unreasonable ones, do.   If you are a buyer, this is an excellent site for you.   You can literally destroy someone’s one off item, ship it back, and ebay will throw that seller right under the bus, been there done that.   It was actually a violation of well established papal policies; EBay does not observe such policies with your money on paypal.   If it is under 2k you can go to small claims, like working people have the time for that.   If it is over 2k, no problem, you retard, you agreed to go through resolution if the value of the item is over 2k.   These are not dumb people; most people will not invest the time with the exception of the zealot, and who cares.  Even the 4 million won in a class action suite this year is still chump change from the corporation’s perspective.   The business model has mutated right out from under those who grew up with the service, and the change was never well defined but came in waves.    The dishonesty is on epic scale.    The logo may look the same, but the site has definitely changed and the days of old where you could find odd ball things you could find no where else, as a buyer, are going to be long gone soon.   The sellers that had those items are either dead or dieing.  Welcome to Amazon lte and overstock.com part deux.

Message 27 of 55
latest reply

After decades in retail management for big box retailers, I have never witnessed such a flagrant disregard for the customer as I have recently experienced with eBay. The company no longer supports the small business owner. It has become a monopoly. eBay knows how much of the online market they hold and only a mass exodus of sellers will make them even slightly curious about the validity of their policies and practices.

For me this is second holiday season of sales ruined by eBay's polices. Time to find another selling venue but I don't plan on leaving quietly. I will no longer recommend selling on eBay to anyone. eBay has proven it is an unreliable source of income. They are uncooperative, inflexible to the point of being abusive to sellers. I haven’t decided what my next step will be. I hear other sellers say things like, “That’s just part of doing business with eBay, write it off as a cost of doing business.” Unacceptable. When a company is wrong and makes mistakes they should be held accountable. eBay should be no exception.

I am suspended from selling for 7 days during the peak holiday season because of a typo. That's right...a typo. I had a typo in the brand name on a listing.  However it was correctly spelled in the brand name area and the photos verify the item as authentic. I was told by CS that for this typo I get a 7 day suspension and I’m lucky Ebay doesn’t “close its doors to me as a seller”. That’s right the CS rep told me I was lucky they didn’t give me 14 days or 30 days or kick me off the site. After I said how this was essentially destroying my entire Christmas selling season and now I had to find another selling venue, the CS rep said yes I should sell elsewhere Ebay wasn’t stopping me from selling on other sites. So basically Ebay customer service told me to take my business elsewhere and they didn’t care if I did. You hear that John Donahoe CEO of eBay inc. your customer service reps are telling your customers to hit the road.

Buyers should care (and I thrilled to hear that you do) because eventually you will not have any quality sellers left on eBay.  As a buyer you should know the truth this type of experience is common and it goes unchecked. The people you enjoy doing business with are gradually being eliminated from eBay.

Message 28 of 55
latest reply

So very true. eBay wants all its small sellers gone and wants to replace them with mega sellers of imported goods. It's obvious that's the business plan.

Message 29 of 55
latest reply

EBAY ALLOWED ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS TO SEND BACK A PACKAGE EXPRESS MAIL FOR 20 DOLLARS AND THAN REFUNED HER 20 DOLLARS SO THAT TRANSACTION COST ME FOURTY DOLLARS.  THEY WANT TO CONTROL EVERYTHNG WE DO BUT WHEN IT COMES TO GOING INTO OUR POCKET WE ARE NOT PROTECTED, HOW DARE THEY ALLOW SOMEONE TO GO INTO MY ACCOUT AND TAKE OUT TWENTY DOLLARS TO SHIP A PACKAGE HOME EXPRESS MAIL.  I NEEDED HELP AND GOT A PERSON ON THE PHONE WHO FOR SPITE LEFT ME ON HOLD FOR OVER 50 MINUTES, WHEN HE CAME BACK HE WAS LAUGHING.  TODAY IS THE LAST NIGHT, I AM DONE AFTER EIGHT YRS AND LAST YEAR OVER A HOUNDRED THOUSAND IN SALES.  WHEN PAYPAL TRIES TO GET THE MONEY I OWE THEM FOR THERE CREDIT FOR BUYERS, ILL LEAVE THEM ON HOLD FOR TWENTY MINUTES TO AN HOUR SO I CAN PAY THEM BACK,   EBAY TOOK EVERYTHING FROM US, OUR MONEY, OUR FREE CHOICE AND NOW OUR DIGNITY

Message 30 of 55
latest reply