cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLING ON EBAY FOR OTHERS ON COMMISSION

walkerfarm1108
Enthusiast
Word has gotten out in my small rural community that I am selling on eBay and I've been approached to sell a couple of items for someone else on commission. I read somewhere that some people do this for 20% if the item sells. I'm just wondering if any of you have experience with this and if you do, do you charge to ship the item for them? Do you list under your ID? Is it worth the effort, since time listing for someone else is time taken from my own listings. Anything you can educate me about, before I take this step, I'd like to know. Thanks.
Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

Re: SELLING ON EBAY FOR OTHERS ON COMMISSION

I would be interested in seeing your spreadsheet 🙂

Message 31 of 129
latest reply

I believe I would try it out

Message 32 of 129
latest reply

I would also like to see the spreadsheet,.Please

Message 33 of 129
latest reply

That's OK, the info is still valuable to others in the same situation... like me!

Message 34 of 129
latest reply

Hi.  If you're still willing to share, I would love to see your spreadsheet. I'm not sure if you need my email address, but it's rosepetals717@gmail.com.  Thanks very much.

Message 35 of 129
latest reply

@walkerfarm1108 wrote:
Word has gotten out in my small rural community that I am selling on eBay and I've been approached to sell a couple of items for someone else on commission. I read somewhere that some people do this for 20% if the item sells. I'm just wondering if any of you have experience with this and if you do, do you charge to ship the item for them? Do you list under your ID? Is it worth the effort, since time listing for someone else is time taken from my own listings. Anything you can educate me about, before I take this step, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Imo, selling on commission is not a good idea.  A seller can end up putting themselves in a bind by doing so.  For example, what if the item sells and then the buyer decides to change their mind and send it back for a return?  Then assume for a sec that the person you sold the item for won't give you the money back.   As the seller, it is you who has to cover the expense else risk that red donut and dsr hits.  

No thanks.

********************************************************************************

The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose.

For the sake of others, please learn CPR. You could save a life.

Message 36 of 129
latest reply

Hi i would love a copy of your spreed sheet just to know what I am really taking on. Could you email me? Tammybrook20@GMAIL.com thanks so much! God bless ya!! B-)
Message 37 of 129
latest reply

Just a SWAG but i think "walker farm 1108" made his decision already - he/she started this  thread in October, 2005.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 38 of 129
latest reply

If you can send me the spreadsheet that would be great... I was approached about selling for someone tonigth and was curious about the amount I should charge for listing their items and controlling the deal until sold.  Thanks for everyone's feedback, it was most helpful.

Message 39 of 129
latest reply

20% isn't much but it works as long as the final price is decent. Be honest with people about what their stuff is worth. Everyone thinks it's worth more than it is. Let them know that it's 20% of the final selling price PLUS ALL expenses (Paypal/eBay fees) Don't sell **bleep**. Only good merchandise that brings in a good price. People will dollar you to death over $10 and $20 dollar yard sale crud. 

Message 40 of 129
latest reply

I have done it for years.

On small items I do a 50/50 and pay the fees out of my 50%. When I have a return that item is mine to keep or resell as I usually have already paid the owner for the item.. The items that cannot be sold I donate for them. I warehouse most of the items at my home.That gives me control over when it is listed, the description and the shipping. I dont have to lay money out for items, especially the items that dont sell. The owners get money for items that are collecting dust or devaluing. 

Message 41 of 129
latest reply

Greetings!  Could you post that spread sheet you were talking about.  I'm thinking about selling for others on ebay but I need all the help I can get!  I currently sale on ebay for myself and do enjoy.  I'm thinking about selling for others.

Message 42 of 129
latest reply

You'll rue the day you got involved with selling for others.  You'll be relisting and picture taking and emailing back and forth forever and more relisting and deadbeat bidder...trust me, people who do this for a "living" aren't making that much net profit for the hours put in and the hair loss they'll experience.  You think selling your own stuff is maddening...times that by 4 for somebody else on your **bleep** wanting a sale.  This isn't 2002 any more when you put something on and it sold that week, got paid quick, bada bing out the door never to return.  OH no, this is a whole different world run by the deadbeats and nonpayers, backed by ebay themselves on policy concerns.  You, the simple seller, will work endless hours for no money, guaranteed.  Just keep'in it real, dawg.

Message 43 of 129
latest reply

i do this right now for a major thrift store in town and at a 50/50 clip.  I don't make that much money per the effort to tell yo uthe truth, but I wouldn't even think about less than 50% of sale price.  You do that for 20%, you'll lose money guaranteed, pal.

Message 44 of 129
latest reply

You need to get 40%. People want the money but not the hassle. You should take the hassle and the money.

Message 45 of 129
latest reply