cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do when the post office doesn't take the packages? They are 6 & 7 pounders with 12"

What do you do when the post office doesn't take the packages? They are 6 & 7 pounders with 12" parameters. Our carrier is a stickler but I can't see anything wrong?  What could cause this and I can't call eBay anymore - will be penalized for late shipping on top of it all.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What do you do when the post office doesn't take the packages? They are 6 & 7 pounders with

@rainbowranchmom wrote:

What do you do when the post office doesn't take the packages? They are 6 & 7 pounders with 12" parameters. Our carrier is a stickler but I can't see anything wrong?  What could cause this ...

You have to ask the carrier why they refused to pick up your packages.  Then you might need to talk to the local Postmaster to clarify expectations.

For now, just get those packages to the PO if you possibly can. Maybe they will pick them up tomorrow? Are you sure that it was your regular carrier who failed to take the packages? Sometimes subs just don't care. I have been getting really terrible service from subs even though my regular carrier is great.  He was so embarrassed when I showed him that last Friday I got 10 pieces of mail that were for neighbors! The Postmaster might be able to help straighten this out.

eBay considers a package "late" if  it doesn't get a scan within your stated handling time and if it ALSO doesn't arrive by the latest estimated delivery date.  So technically your packages aren't late yet and there is still hope.  Late is better than getting a defect point for canceling the transaction..

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: What do you do when the post office doesn't take the packages? They are 6 & 7 pounders with

Did you take them to the Post Office? (there may be parameters set by each location on 'what' they can 'pick up' from a residence)

Was it a residence?

How Many packages? 

Yes, you will get 'dinged' if you do NOT ship within YOUR stated handling time (say 1 day but doesn't 'ship' for 2) and there is NOTHING ebay will do about it. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

If one or more is priority, you can call for a free pickup.    Not all letter carriers want to be " saddled " with your outgoing packages.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I don't have a car - they have been picking up for me for almost 20 years.  This is new to me.  And yes, I know eBay won't do a thing to help. Now the post office is nailing my grave.  Trying to make it to 20 but it is looking like impossible. Thanks for your fast reply?!? Can't figure out why she didn't pick them up? They are under 8 pounds each. Kharma is saying cancel the sale and forget it. Wiht this much trouble already, I suspect they will be broken by the time they get to Oregon from Florida.  Yes, Kharma says cancel. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Our carrier is a stickler

--------------------------------------------

that's a bit confusing.  Stickler about what?

Carrier job is to deliver/pick up mail.

Unless the pick up is in some way showing to be hazardous they should pick it up and take it on its way.

Another exception might be.................  if there was no postage label on the package.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Did you schedule a pickup?  What reason was given for not picking them up? I don’t know what you are referring to about the stickler comment and weight amounts.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@rainbowranchmom wrote:

What do you do when the post office doesn't take the packages? They are 6 & 7 pounders with 12" parameters. Our carrier is a stickler but I can't see anything wrong?  What could cause this ...

You have to ask the carrier why they refused to pick up your packages.  Then you might need to talk to the local Postmaster to clarify expectations.

For now, just get those packages to the PO if you possibly can. Maybe they will pick them up tomorrow? Are you sure that it was your regular carrier who failed to take the packages? Sometimes subs just don't care. I have been getting really terrible service from subs even though my regular carrier is great.  He was so embarrassed when I showed him that last Friday I got 10 pieces of mail that were for neighbors! The Postmaster might be able to help straighten this out.

eBay considers a package "late" if  it doesn't get a scan within your stated handling time and if it ALSO doesn't arrive by the latest estimated delivery date.  So technically your packages aren't late yet and there is still hope.  Late is better than getting a defect point for canceling the transaction..

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

You have no neighbors, friends, family or anyone to help out? How do you get food every week? No kid around the block to help out? 

Nowadays, packages have to be weight and measured as such. 

I used to live in Florida and there are always people who would help out if needed.

I now live in San Francisco and I help the neighbors in my building....every shipper rings our doorbell for receiving packages and such.

I also give a nice big bottle of champagne to the mailman every year for Christmas.

The mailman or whoever it is where you live...I am thinking someone in a mini-truck who delivers the mail...there is only so much room in that mini-truck.

Best to change the quick shipping to solving such a problem. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

family is dead - friends are few and old like me and not helpful - they can't.  Florida has never been a friendly state for me.  I am going to hand the packages tomorrow to her - maybe she just didn't see them but they are white boxes and fairly big . . . go figure.  Sure wish you still lived here. I asked a friend for help today and they can't cause their truck needs a new transmission.  You figure it out, come back and teach it to us here in Florida. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@rainbowranchmom wrote: ... I am going to hand the packages tomorrow to her - maybe she just didn't see them but they are white boxes and fairly big . . .  . 

One thing that would help, especially with subs, is if you formally request Carrier Pickup rather than just putting out the packages and expecting the carrier (especially if it's a sub) to realize that those packages are there to be picked up.  You can do this as part of the process of purchasing your online postage, or you can request it separately at usps.com.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yes, definitely do that!  But this sale came in on an old listing where it was to ship that day about 3 am - just as Pacific Time reads 12 midnight. The way it turned out was that it had to go out that day - therefore when they didn't pick them up, I get penalized no matter that I shipped within 10 hours. Kharma is out for these packages. I bet they break them despite a half roll of bubble wrap, packing and prayer.  Sometimes you just can't win. Bet I won't win on this either but I will be darned if I willingly give them a refund. Gotta go learn the minimum refund to give so eBay won't zap me when this little nightmare is over.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@rainbowranchmom wrote:

I don't have a car - they have been picking up for me for almost 20 years.  This is new to me.  And yes, I know eBay won't do a thing to help. Now the post office is nailing my grave.  Trying to make it to 20 but it is looking like impossible. Thanks for your fast reply?!? Can't figure out why she didn't pick them up? They are under 8 pounds each. Kharma is saying cancel the sale and forget it. Wiht this much trouble already, I suspect they will be broken by the time they get to Oregon from Florida.  Yes, Kharma says cancel. 

How can they be picking up from you for 20 years and you haven’t experienced anything like this (according to this being new to you), yet you call your carrier a stickler? That sounds like a pretty helpful carrier to me if she’s only done this one time in 20 years. She sounds like someone you can just ask her about why she didn’t pick up the packages. No one else can answer your question better than her.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

In my eyes a stickler is one who follows the rule. I think that is a compliment. I am a stickler too - that is why I was so puzzled.  And she is a new carrier - our last one was 12 years and that explains why this is so rare. Linda was magnificent and carried my business more than you know. I paid her a big "gift" which we are not supposed to do every Christmas!  anyway, they were picked up today - I put a big sign out Please don't forget . . . and they were picked up.  Thanks for all the replies - I think it was a relief carrier yesterday - Monique had a day off!  thanks everybody. Keep on listing! heather

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@rainbowranchmom wrote:

In my eyes a stickler is one who follows the rule. I think that is a compliment. I am a stickler too - that is why I was so puzzled. ...

But we were all wondering what rule they were being a stickler about?  

Anyway, thanks for the update -- glad to hear that the packages were picked up. As I noted above, you won't be penalized for late shipping if they are delivered within the estimated delivery date, regardless of the lateness of their initial acceptance scan.  Here's the policy:

shipping tracking late no scan acceptance delivery.png

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy?id=4347

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Were the packages wrapped in paper instead of just boxes or tape other than packing tape?

Message 15 of 15
latest reply