cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS "In Transit, Arriving Late" - something to expect more now?

Is it just me or has this been happening more as of late with this worthless automated message?

I have a package that last updated on May 29 so obviously something must be wrong. I opened a postal investigation on the USPS website but I'm not even sure if that truly helps or not. Is there anything else I can do? 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: USPS "In Transit, Arriving Late" - something to expect more now?

Weather may very well have something to do with the delays, since a large portion of the country is underwater. Not a whole lot anyone can do about that. Smiley Sad

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I have noticed the same thing over the past few months on my First Class Package shipments especially. They've had the In Transit message in place for quite a few years now, which they would pop in to the log whenever 24 hours had gone by without a tracking update (repeating it up to three times before going silent), but more recently they've started flat-out admitting that it's going to be late.

I found that disappointing because, well, late is late, although on the other hand, their admitting it does at least show that they know they messed up their original estimate, or that Something Bad has happened along the way, but in any case, they're admitting an error has occurred, which is more than some other companies manage to do.

If you're the buyer, you can file an Item Not Received dispute if the last estimated date of delivery has passed. If you're the seller, don't contact the buyer if he's quiet, as he may have already received the package regardless, and you don't want to show that you don't know where it is. If he's asking you about it, assure him that you're monitoring things, and ask him to be patient for another week. I would think it should resurface by then.

Regardless of whether you're the seller or buyer, you can sign yourself up for text or email updates whenever the package is scanned next, so that you don't have to keep checking the tracking manually. Look up your package on the usps.com website, and on the tracking results page for your package number, you will find a section for signing up to get notifications. Doing so will not affect the movement of your package in any way, but it will get you notified within minutes of its next appearance. Good luck.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@skipbif_72 wrote:

Is it just me or has this been happening more as of late with this worthless automated message?

I have a package that last updated on May 29 so obviously something must be wrong. I opened a postal investigation on the USPS website but I'm not even sure if that truly helps or not. Is there anything else I can do? 

Sometimes I've gone to my post office and asked the clerk to look online at THEIR tracking system, which may show additional information.  I'm not sure it actually helps, but a few times it seemed like just doing that shook it loose and started it moving again.  Could be just a USPS version of the placebo effect though, I don't know!

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I have learned to use the best / highest print quality to make sure that is not causing the issue.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

>>I have learned to use the best / highest print quality to make sure that is not causing the issue.

Good advice in general, but I'm seeing it also and my labels are "super fine, awesome, dynomite."

I've got a Parcel Select shipment exhibiting it right now, and was delivered eBay late. It dawdled a bit in transit, received an "in transit, arriving late" tag, and was delivered late beyond the eBay EDD (even though I have a 2 day handling time, order was Wed after hours, and it was at PO next morning a day ahead of my handling cutoff)

Dropped at Sacramento PO counter 11AM Thurs, no acceptance or local dist center scans, first scan Sun 5pm at Los Angeles dist center, scan at Pennsylvania dist center following Thurs 2pm, "in transit, arriving late" Fri 00:00am, arrived at local PA unit Sat 5am, out for delivery Sat 8am, delivered Sat 12pm.

It shouldn't have taken 3 1/2 days to get from Sacramento to Los Angeles, the 4 days+ to PA is right on the mark for truck transport (2500 miles at 6600/day), then it dawdled some more.

Part of the reason in some cases may be software reasons though - the "arriving late" is one of the changes USPS made to the verbiage in the tracking a while back, and really stands out when looking at tracking. Those shipments may have behaved similarly before. but that verbiage makes it glaring when one glances at the tracking.

Another part may be that USPS does seem to be slipping a bit in delivery times the last 6 months or so (based on casual observance of First Class Pkg and Priority transit times) - a few hours here, and extra 1/2 day there, and you start seeing a day later than seemed typical last year.

[Addendum]

Just looked at the actual USPS tracking to archive it as usual as opposed to the eBay tracking I referred to here and no "arriving late" appears. I am now uncertain if that "arriving late" is an eBay only tracking wording (that refers to late in terms of eBay's EDD not the original USPS projected delivery date.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

[Addendum to the previous addendum]

Never mind on the speculation that the verbiage is eBay's not USPS's - don't currently have another live shipment showing "In Transit, Arriving Late", but just checked one on the way to Guam that is taking a while, and current tracking entry at both eBay and USPS is "In Transit, Arriving On Time" which would indicate that those "Arriving On Time" and "Arriving Late" tags are USPS verbiage.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@skipbif_72 wrote:

USPS should deliver mail articles in a timely manner, but unfortunately this is not always reality.

Better late than delivered to an incorrect address or being damaged during transit due to poor handling or equipment malfunction.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
[Addendum to the previous addendum]

Never mind on the speculation that the verbiage is eBay's not USPS's - don't currently have another live shipment showing "In Transit, Arriving Late", but just checked one on the way to Guam that is taking a while, and current tracking entry at both eBay and USPS is "In Transit, Arriving On Time" which would indicate that those "Arriving On Time" and "Arriving Late" tags are USPS verbiage.

Right; they are USPS phrases. I've been quietly marveling at how they're suddenly pleading guilty ("Arriving Late") right there in the tracking updates. Smiley Happy Probably cuts down a bit on the irate phone calls if they're willing to admit the delay right there in print...

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:
Smiley Happy Probably cuts down a bit on the irate phone calls if they're willing to admit the delay right there in print...

Absolutely correct, you now don't need to voice your concern & call, to say that your package is overdue for delivery.

Someone to undertake action about the delay,& in a timely manner, is needed,& Perhaps may someday be provided ?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Nothing u can do.  Opening a lost package case at USPS.com is as worthless as **bleep** on a BOARD HOG      I have opened 5-6 nothing   I have item that still says

Tracking #:

Carrier:

USPS

ACCEPTED IN TRANSIT  DELIVERED

In Transit, Arriving Late

2019-04-13, 00:00:00

USPS picked up item

2019-04-09, 10:29:00, SOUTHAVEN, MS 38671

USPS AWFUL but what can u do   4 package screwed up last 6 months

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

similar experience recently, 

- item sold 22may

- accepted by post office 23may priority mail

- moved to regional sorting center 24may

- nothing till 27may, then says in shipment, will be arriving late

- i kept in contact w/ buyer from 2jun and checked tracking on it every day and talked to buyer

- i put in tracking request for lost mail on 3jun, never got reply from usps after initial 'we received your request'

- starting refund request 8jun after the 15day wait period

- item still shows 27may stamp 'arriving late'

2nd mailing like this in 3 mos, but with priority?  come one USPS!  (and i clear tape over the addresses, and along both sides but not covering bar codes; so labels should have NO problem)

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

yep mine still says the same thing as well (last real update May 29) and I know it's not the label printed out poorly. It seems like people will jump to any excuse to try to just back USPS and their poor sorting facilities.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Someone suggested using this I found online. Is it at all different from opening a case on USPS.com?

https://amps.usps.gov/mpsa/lst

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

1.  When  USPS, FedEx, UPS provde  an estimated delivery time how  can any thing be  late.

2.  We  have shipped 1527 items via  USPS -primarily  Priority Mails Service  and  a few First Class  package since 2010 , never use Parcel Select/Ground -  have  had 2  lost, both  went into the USPS black hole at the Jamaica, New York sort  facility & never came out - hmmm, 1 was damaged and less than a hand full late  most during the Holiday traffic  jam period but none  really  late.   Most usually the estimated delivery time  has been met and  often have been  delivered early.  We  have a one day  handling time - most often we  ship the  same  day and  ship stuff  on Saturdays  that were  paid for on late Friday night. or early Sat morning.  We  ship to all 50  US states, PO Boxes, US Protectorates - Guam, Marianna Islands, Puerto Rico, etc

IMO many of the  delivery  issues are due to the  "human factor".  Been  that  way  since the days of the Pony Express rider.  Guess  back then they  had  uncontrollable rider & horse factors.

3.  Certainly  the flooding is causing  delivery headaches for those areas affected and yet to be affected.  Even the Great Lakes region are  having issues with water levels are at or  near an all time high - lots of  beach front properties are getting soaked by the high  water levels and roads washed out.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 15 of 17
latest reply