cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two shipping boxes versus one?

Experienced sellers, 

If I want to make shipping as cheap as possible for my customer how do I know when it is better to put items in one box versus 2? 

An example of what I'm talking about is a medium sized pair of speakers.

I could put both in one large box and it would be quite heavy. Or, two smaller separate boxes. I'm not sure how to calculate the cost difference because the shipping section only allows me to enter in dimensions of one box. I'm sure at some point it is obviously going to be better to use two boxes due to the size of the item just wondering what that size and weight is.

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If you are shipping via USPS, probably two boxes are better than one, unless they fit into a regional rate or flat rate package.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@fastcarman wrote:

Experienced sellers, 

If I want to make shipping as cheap as possible for my customer how do I know when it is better to put items in one box versus 2? 

An example of what I'm talking about is a medium sized pair of speakers.

I could put both in one large box and it would be quite heavy. Or, two smaller separate boxes. I'm not sure how to calculate the cost difference because the shipping section only allows me to enter in dimensions of one box. I'm sure at some point it is obviously going to be better to use two boxes due to the size of the item just wondering what that size and weight is.

Thank you for your help.

I've juggled with this in the past, and it is rare that 2 boxes is better ... only found one instance where it helped, and the savings were not much.  So, it just seems like a waste of time to even consider it.

However, with the upcoming dimensional weight changes at the USPS in a couple of weeks, it could be that 2 boxes will be cheaper in more situations.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Can't you guesstimate the prices?  I did that once with six items and lost my ...

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply