cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller wants me to arrange my own shipping for an item

Hey Everyone, I was looking at this laser engraver that someone was selling, and I really want it because it's a good deal. It's used but I cannot complain.

Now the issue is that I asked the Seller if they offered shipping. They told me I would have to arrange shipping in order to get the item. Now this is about a 100-110lb laser engraver and I got a quote for shipping.

My question is, if the laser engraver is goofed up or the seller wasn't being fully honest and something didn't work, am I still covered under the MBG. And is this okay for me to arrange shipping off platform? I told him it would be easier for him to do it on platform as he could select "Buyer Pays Shipping"

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Seller wants me to arrange my own shipping for an item

If the seller has "local pick up" and you want it shipped, you need to arrange packing and shipping.

If it is "goofed up" why would you think it was the sellers fault and not your choice of shipper?

How would you know any and all issues were not caused by your shipping company??

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

>If the seller has "local pick up" and you want it shipped, you need to arrange packing and shipping.

That isn't an issue for me, I was thinking that it may be cheaper to do via ebay and that would benefit me a lot if that was possible. I have no issue having a 3rd party involved.

>If it is "goofed up" why would you think it was the sellers fault and not your choice of shipper?

How would you know any and all issues were not caused by your shipping company??

I refer to goofed up as software issues or unexplained damage from usage. In the event I were to ship it out there's always a 50/50 chance the damage was preexisting or was added in transit. I won't deny what you said though.

The one thing is if I do arrange shipping, that would void the MBG I assume?

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

If the seller had listing set up for local pickup only and you want it shipped then yes it is your job to find a shipper and yes it falls on you if the company you chooses messes it up.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

once you use a system such as an agent for pick up You lose protection.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Not true..as long as the buyer arranges the pick up.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

"Items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf".

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

Not true..as long as the buyer arranges the pick up.

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item
Exclusions and special coverage when the item doesn't match the listing

Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer.............................................Not covered

The buyer arranged their own shipping method, such as a courier pickup...........Not covered

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

"Items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf".

Item is being shipped though so it doesn't qualify

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

When the buyer arranges shipping, it means that it was "Collected on their behalf".

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

The op is the buyer..they are the one who would lose protection.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Buyers damage things on their own accord constantly, file INAD's on sealed products they've try to fit in the wrong holes, or just steal them outright and are still covered by eBay's 30-Day MBG. I don't know why this situation would be any different.

I may be way off base here, but I've never heard of any shipping situation, local pick-up or otherwise, that disqualifies a buyer from filing an INAD. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

The OP IS the buyer.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

In this scenario, the OP, who is the buyer, plans to make arrangements for packing and shipping himself.

The seller would not be liable since he would have nothing to do with the security of the packing or of the shipping.  

And I just now noticed that this threat started 10 days ago.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer.............................................Not covered

The buyer arranged their own shipping method, such as a courier pickup...........Not covered

Message 15 of 16
latest reply