cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping Label Creation Fails Every Time on 2018-01-20 and later. Error Code: 64541

Each time I try to print an international postage mailing label for a First Class package shipping I get the same error message below.

"We're having trouble printing your label. We had a problem retrieving the label.

[Error: 64541-Content type Documents is only supported for First Class Mail International]"

eBay Support does not give much detail on the matter.  Agents and Supervisors tried to resort to canned responses over a few different calls.  They even attempted to push me off to PayPal support without any reason.

On a subsequent call I recevied a little more detail. By not much. Below is the eBay Support response when I asked them to create a ticket for tracking and send it to my eBay Messaging inbox.  An aside for this issue is even the creation of that eBay support ticket took several attempts before the agent was able to accomplish the request.

"Ticket Request SR# 1-144654574449 

Hello [xxxx],

Since eBay is receiving an update from USPS we are currently working on the features and types of services in our website.

This update is with reference to Printing shipping label issue related to message: "Error: 64541-Content type Documents is only supported for First Class Mail International" ticket reference to SR # 1-144654574449. We will do our best for our online fxes as fast as we can to avoid any future website issues. We will send you some updates if it's necessary.

eBay

THREAD ID: 1-144654574449 "

eBay Document ID: 52896250007

eBay is committed to your privacy. Read our user agreement and privacy notice. Learn how to recognize fake (spoof) emails.

Copyright © 2017 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc., 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125."

BTW.  It seems PayPal is also having the same issue when I try to print an international postage mailing label using PayPal shipping.  When the attempt is made on the PayPal site the process to print the label fails.   So eBay Support' attempt on one call to push me off to PayPal Support was a useless action on their part.

Perhaps the entire back end server platform both eBay and PayPal use to create international postage mailing labels has failed during on of their internal updates?

Anyone else seeing these issues on eBay and PayPal?

-Vectrexer
Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: International Shipping Label Creation Fails Every Time on 2018-01-20 and later. Error Code: 64

Same here
Message 46 of 82
latest reply

Re: International Shipping Label Creation Fails Every Time on 2018-01-20 and later. Error Code: 64

@nky-photos wrote:

I got no problems printing First Class International (Package) as long as I change the category to (Document) which in my case is pretty close to the truth since I sell photos AKA photographic literature. But if I use merchandise the label will not print.

Are you being charged a package rate and get tracking?

Message 47 of 82
latest reply

My gut feeling is ebay or USPS or Paypal is confusing First Clase International (Package) with First Class International (Large Envelope of Letter). On Paypal you cannont use Merchandise with (Large Envelope or Letter) and there I use Docment to get my photos shipped.

Peace, Duane Bass

(1st Armored Division 1971 - 73)

Message 48 of 82
latest reply

Yes. I am being charged package rate and getting tracking.

Peace, Duane Bass

Message 49 of 82
latest reply

Having the same issue, so I tried paypal it was going to print the label but the cost is higher than ebay's costs, Paypal has the same cost as Endicia, a little over $2 a package.  The USPS changes rates every single year and they have not had a major issue before like this.   Hopefully, it will be up soon.

Message 50 of 82
latest reply

Sample label except I changed the category to Document instead of Merchandise to get it to print. Like I said I sell photos for the most part so Document is not to far off base. Merchandise is the correct category though.Capture.JPG

Peace, Duane Bass

Message 51 of 82
latest reply

Why was this post marked solved? Switching to documents won't solve anything unless you're sending documents.
Filling out customs informations incorrectly is a great way to get yourself into trouble.

Message 52 of 82
latest reply

I spoke eBay this morning about this issue and USPS made a change over the weekend. The USPS change is not allowing First Class International packages only letters.  The details are shown at the bottom of this message from USPS.

I was able to use USPS' Click-N-Ship Business Pro software to print the USPS First Class International shipping labels. I also had the local postoffice scan these packages to make sure that their system would accept them. All was good for now. I did change my eBay Business Policies on my eBay account to remove USPS First Class International mail option, so that it was easier to ship to these international addresses on eBay.

From the release notes from USPS at URL : https://ribbs.usps.gov/intelligentmail_schedule2018/releases/jan2018/docs/Jan2018ReleaseOverview.pdf

9.0 Limit the Content for First-Class Mail International (FCMI) to Documents The USPS is considering changes to the International Mail Manual (IMM) and other system language to clarify that First-Class Mail International (FCMI) content is limited to documents in order to prevent mailers from inducting goods or merchandise into the FCMI stream. This change will exclude goods from the FCMI format P (letters) and format G (flats). This change aligns with the Universal Postal Union (UPU) Integrated Product Plan (IPP) which will require that format P (letters) and format G (flats) may contain only documents, not goods. The requirement to remove goods also applies to International Priority Airmail (IPA) and International Surface Air Lift (ISAL) letter and flat streams as well. The definition of “documents” and “goods” will be updated in the IMM to align with the required UPU changes.

Message 53 of 82
latest reply

Changing the "Category of Item" to "Documents" worked for me on printing on eBay. Then what if I manually cross out Documents and write in "Merchandise" until this is fixed? Any problem there? Customs forms can be handwritten.

Message 54 of 82
latest reply

Same issue here on 1-22-18. Made label through USPS website so no discounts but you know as soon as you put a tracking number in for the listing eBay will take their 10% even though they didn't do anything. 😞

Message 55 of 82
latest reply

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2017/pb22482/html/updt_006.htm

I read this and I can use Merchandise under the package service which means there is an error somewhere. 242 Eligibility

242.1 Content Eligibility

[Revise the text of 242.1 to read as follows (indicating that only correspondence and nondutiable documents may be sent by First-Class Mail International service):]

Subject to applicable weight and size limits, only correspondence and nondutiable documents that are otherwise acceptable and not prohibited by the Postal Service or the country of destination may be mailed at the First-Class Mail International price.

[Revise the title of 242.2 to read as follows:]

242.2 Merchandise

[Replace subsections 242.21 and 242.22 with text to read as follows (because no merchandise, neither dutiable as in the previous 242.21 nor nondutiable as in the previous 242.22, may be mailed with First-Class Mail International service):]

No merchandise, whether dutiable or nondutiable, may be mailed using First-Class Mail International service. Items containing merchandise may be sent by Global Express Guaranteed service, Priority Mail Express International service, Priority Mail International service, or """"First-Class Package International Service;""""" commercial mailers may also use IPA packages (small packets) and ISAL packages (small packets).

Peace, Duane Bass

Message 56 of 82
latest reply

@nky-photos wrote:

Sample label except I changed the category to Document instead of Merchandise to get it to print. Like I said I sell photos for the most part so Document is not to far off base. Merchandise is the correct category though.Capture.JPG

And you were charged how much for the 5 ounces?

Message 57 of 82
latest reply

@nky-photos wrote:

And you were charged how much for that 5 ounces?

Message 58 of 82
latest reply

@sandie902 wrote:

Same issue here on 1-22-18. Made label through USPS website so no discounts but you know as soon as you put a tracking number in for the listing eBay will take their 10% even though they didn't do anything. 😞

Ebay doesn’t charge 10% on postage acquired elsewhere. 

Message 59 of 82
latest reply

Ebay doesn’t charge 10% on postage acquired elsewhere. 

that is certainly incorrect.....

alan@ebay

Any chance of you guys finding out what's going on with the international shipping and the 13-15.99 ounce first class problem?  

Message 60 of 82
latest reply