cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer damaged item, wants return

I sold a bathing suit top and the buyer left negative feedback, saying INAD (says it's navy blue not black) but also that she cut the item while opening the package. Now she wants to make a return. How should I handle this?

On the one hand, she would possibly have a case if the item were indeed blue and not black (I don't believe this is the case but since I don't have it in hand I cannot be positive), but on the other hand, she's damaged the product such that it is worthless and unable to be resold. I'm inclined to refuse the return since she's already left negative feedback.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Buyer damaged item, wants return

This is the item. Now I'm not a professional photographer, but I try to take good and accurate photos. In the last picture, you can see that some of the threads are blue, as well as the text on the label, but the fabric of the top appears black in contrast.

My sister, a fellow ebay seller, thinks that maybe she is claiming INAD to get the refund but is also inventing damage so that she can keep it anyway, that I won't pay to have it shipped back. Conspiracy theories must be a family pasttime 🙂

Any of you need a possibly blue/possibly black/possibly "cut into" bathing suit top? I know where you can get one for a bargain!

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

@anenemity wrote:

I sold a bathing suit top and the buyer left negative feedback, saying INAD (says it's navy blue not black) but also that she cut the item while opening the package. Now she wants to make a return. How should I handle this?

On the one hand, she would possibly have a case if the item were indeed blue and not black (I don't believe this is the case but since I don't have it in hand I cannot be positive), but on the other hand, she's damaged the product such that it is worthless and unable to be resold. I'm inclined to refuse the return since she's already left negative feedback.

I'm a little confused, how can you not be positive about what color top you sent just because you don't have it in hand?

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

It looked black to me in person, it looks black in the pictures in the listing. But there's always the possibility that I didn't have the item in strong enough light and I was mistaken. I'm okay with owning up to my mistakes - I'm human and it happens. I cannot be absolutely sure of anything unless I have the item in front of me.  Make sense?

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

It looked black to me in person, it looks black in the pictures in the listing. But there's always the possibility that I didn't have the item in strong enough light and I was mistaken. I'm okay with owning up to my mistakes - I'm human and it happens. I cannot be absolutely sure of anything unless I have the item in front of me. Make sense?
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

You don't accept returns. I'm not sure wy the other responder said you are required to accept returns since you are a TRS. That is incorrect so disregard what they said. 

Incorrect! OP accepts returns on some of her listings which state '30 days, money back returns'. We don't know if this item had a return policy or not.

@stuff4divas Next time check the OP's SOLD listings not the current listings! The OP changed her return policy to returns accepted AFTER she posted. That applies only to her current listings. The swimsuit was sold as no returns! And no one is arguing that OP has to accept returns for snad. We are discussing a REMORSE return. This buyer isn't even claiming snad FWIW.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

It looks navy blue to me but no matter. She cut into it so you can win this one.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

You don't accept returns. I'm not sure wy the other responder said you are required to accept returns since you are a TRS. That is incorrect so disregard what they said. 

Incorrect! OP accepts returns on some of her listings which state '30 days, money back returns'. We don't know if this item had a return policy or not.

@stuff4divas Next time check the OP's SOLD listings not the current listings! The OP changed her return policy to returns accepted AFTER she posted. That applies only to her current listings. The swimsuit was sold as no returns! And no one is arguing that OP has to accept returns for snad. We are discussing a REMORSE return. This buyer isn't even claiming snad FWIW.

Whatever you say missjen, factual or not, plz calm down, it isn't that serious 🙂

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

Whatever you say missjen, factual or not, plz calm down, it isn't that serious 🙂

Everyone on this thread is calm. Pointing out bad information doesn't require one to be anything but calm 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

Everyone on this thread is calm. Pointing out bad information doesn't require one to be anything but calm 

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 yayyyyyy!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

The Op is newbie at selling with 25 completed  sales  Feedback  out of 130+  feedback   which the rest are as buyer . His or her Buyer is a Newbie  with 29 feedback  .  OP's buyer's action  isn't normal but fishy

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Just an update. I contacted ebay support yesterday and they agreed with the consensus here: I am not obliged to make the return because buyer damaged the product. However, they would not intervene just then; I had to email the buyer explaining this policy and try to resolve the issue without ebay's interference. If not resolved by Thursday (3 days after return was opened), they would then step in. She responded to my email with "That's because your packaging sucks!" so it looks like I've got another phone call to make tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for your help! Hopefully this nightmare will be over by tomorrow.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Years a go I sold on Ebay and my sales were great. However, I quit selling because of the horror stories I was told about buyers. Like a woman sold a very expensive purse. The buyer said she wanted her money back because the item was not what the seller said it was.Ebay refunded her money and in the return package was a different  purse altogether. The buyer got the purse for free and the seller lost a seven hundred dollar sale. Ebay gets their money yet nothing has changed; the seller still gets the short end of the stick because Ebay does not protect the sellers in any way. I've got a no return policy but I'm told Ebay returns items anyway. If so I'm wondering why they have a  no return policy for sellers when it means nothing.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

yes i sold something and after a month he wanted a refund and ebay gave it to him and then when i recieved the item the person had damaged it but ebay won't let me leave negative feedback either which makes me mad i believe everyone should know how this man does business

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

it won't matter if you appeal ebay always gives them their money back

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Be sure you make that call early as you can.  You should win this case as the buyer damaged the item. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply