cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer damaged item, wants return

I sold a bathing suit top and the buyer left negative feedback, saying INAD (says it's navy blue not black) but also that she cut the item while opening the package. Now she wants to make a return. How should I handle this?

On the one hand, she would possibly have a case if the item were indeed blue and not black (I don't believe this is the case but since I don't have it in hand I cannot be positive), but on the other hand, she's damaged the product such that it is worthless and unable to be resold. I'm inclined to refuse the return since she's already left negative feedback.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Buyer damaged item, wants return

I'm thrilled to report a happy ending to this story. Not only did ebay intervene, closing the case for me with no return necessary, but they will also have the negative feedback removed from my profile (I didn't ask for that, the rep said it would happen as a matter of course).

Thanks again to all who contributed!

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

Re: Buyer damaged item, wants return

I'd like to say go ahead and call eBay for support, which you should anyway, but beware that you may not get the correct advice. I called ebay twice for advice and received two different and opposite answers as to handle my issue of an item being sold and then having the buyer claim damage, which wasn't there when shipped out. Just be ware that whatever is in writing on the eBay site supersedes anything a representative may tell you over the phone. 

@anenemity wrote:

I'm a relatively new seller so I'm unfamiliar with the appeals process. Do I file a buyer complaint or call eBay support or what? 

Unfortunately I've already committed to a yearly store subscription, otherwise this would make me quit selling altogether. 

Message 32 of 32
latest reply