cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay stealing my money

Sold an item in 2017 for around 700$. They yanked money out of my PayPal in 2020 MARCH. I have been told a Manuel request to issue refund has been approved to have my money back after ebay support tried to justify why I should have my money back after wasting my time and making me wait 12 business days when they said 3. it has now been 26 days total and I still don't have my money back and eBay stuff just keep telling me to wait. So ebay is allowed to steal my money during a pandemic?

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: ebay stealing my money

@josinstore wrote:

The first refund was reflected on the ebay transaction but they still asked for me to reimburse ebay. So why would I need to reimburse ebay when I had automatically sent the refund back? 

I have been selling for years. I don't know why they wait until now to take money from me when they said 3 years I had nothing to worry about. They have said multiple times I will get my money back yet I do not have it back. 

I find that very interesting.  How were you able to see that on a 3 year old Ebay transaction in Ebay?  I'm not aware of how to do that but very willing to learn.

Now if you are referring to the PP transaction for an Ebay sale, that I understand.  PP allows you to see historical stuff unlike Ebay when something is older than 90 days.  

I'm sorry I am so confused by this, but I am.  I don't know how it is Ebay trying to do this.  Now PP, that is a different story.  While still wrong, for such an old transaction, I understand if PP is trying to reprocess a chargeback or something on an old transaction.

I'm honestly not trying to cause you grief.  I simply don't understand how Ebay did this.  You certainly aren't responsible to make things clear to me, so if I'm causing you upset, just ignore me.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 61 of 70
latest reply

Sfternoon Mam, 

As most sellers know, eBay doesn't take our money.

It may appear that way but legally it is PayPal and/or other financial processers that do it albeit with us granting eBay the permission to have PayPal do it  in accordance with signing the user agreement in order to sell here.

Not only that, eBay actually bills us and we WILLINGLY authorize them to charge our payment processing source after a certain date.

My understanding is PayPal then ends up holding the balance if when they process the charge they find that backup funding sources fail.

Many times folks think eBay has done something when it is actually happening over on the PayPal side that always has been initiated and authorized by the account holder.

Mr C

Message 62 of 70
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

But if you know of a way that a buyer can open a claim on Ebay 3 + years after the fact, please share.

I don't believe anybody here thinks that's what happened. Is there a reason you keep asking? Maybe I missed something.

Because it is what the OP said.  So clearly if you just look at the title, they feel Ebay is at fault.  I don't speak for anyone but myself.  I don't think it is unreasonable to ask the OP why they believe Ebay did this or even how a buyer could accomplish that after this much time.

Mam, I agree that it's definitely good to ask questions to understand a situation. I was just confused about why you kept bringing up the buyer since the OP didn't indicate this was initiated by the buyer. Not a big deal- I was just trying to understand where you were coming from and whether or not I missed something regarding the buyer (which is why I asked you a question, LOL).

Message 63 of 70
latest reply

@josinstore wrote:

it has been 9 days since this email

Why do I get the impression you are the victim of a phishing scam?

C.

Message 64 of 70
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@josinstore wrote:

it has been 9 days since this email

Why do I get the impression you are the victim of a phishing scam?

C.

It could be.  I said something early on in this thread that the email the OP posted in post #9 did not look right.  Ebay addresses us by name in emails.  But I've asked other questions that the OP has never answered to.  These are from post 20 on this thread.

Who was the email from in your earlier post? [post #9]

If you haven't gotten anything from Ebay, then how do you know they initiated it?  

Who is "they"?

Have you verified for yourself that the money was actually removed from your PP account?

Do you have any emails from PP?  What do they say?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 65 of 70
latest reply

I blurred out names and anything private as someone pointed out already and evident. The email was from customerhelp@ebay.com. Like I have already said I have Confirmed with eBay on the phone and email they did take money from me.  The PayPal email form the charge said: eBay ruled in favor of the buyer in your recent dispute case filed with the eBay Resolution Centre. Pursuant to the PayPal User Agreement, PayPal debited your account for $749.75 With the log of the 2017 sale attached to the charge on paypal transaction details payment to claims2-usd@ebay.com. Paypal has said eBay initiated it and PayPal CANNOT do anything and do not handle refunds. 

Message 66 of 70
latest reply

I have even gone through the trouble of finding a screenshot from my old Laptop of the email they sent me back then. Resolving this case. 

Message 67 of 70
latest reply

If it was me, I would notify Ebay they have until end of business today to return the money.  If they don't, you should start filing complaints with your State Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, etc.  

Next Monday you need to file for arbitration.   You can find out how to do that in the Ebay User Agreement.  Make sure to request more than the amount withdrawn ( for your time, hardship caused by them doing this during a pandemic).  You will definitely win if the circumstances you have outlined are true.

Something similar happened to me.... although not from a 3 year old case.  I was told I would be reimbursed by Ebay and they kept dragging the reimbursement out for weeks.   Their excuse was they were having issues in that department.  I said have a different department process it then.  

Ebay can get you the money today if they want to and you have been patient enough.  Just like any of us can send a payment to someone right now if we want.  Unless Ebay is cash strapped.... a little scary given they have sellers money in the Managed Payments program.

Just one more example of why I will never trust Ebay to handle my customers payments with Managed Payments.

Best of luck to you.

Message 68 of 70
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

Sfternoon Mam, 

As most sellers know, eBay doesn't take our money.

It may appear that way but legally it is PayPal and/or other financial processers that do it albeit with us granting eBay the permission to have PayPal do it  in accordance with signing the user agreement in order to sell here.

Not only that, eBay actually bills us and we WILLINGLY authorize them to charge our payment processing source after a certain date.

My understanding is PayPal then ends up holding the balance if when they process the charge they find that backup funding sources fail.

Many times folks think eBay has done something when it is actually happening over on the PayPal side that always has been initiated and authorized by the account holder.

Mr C

Ofcourse it is Ebay's fault if they took money they weren't due.  

Message 69 of 70
latest reply

I love how eBay will not reply to a support email thread if the business week ends and I have to contact them all over again. Been doing this for a whole month nice.

Message 70 of 70
latest reply