cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay showing other Sponsored Listings inside your Listing before your description!?

When did this start? Click on your listing and now, BEFORE your item specifics or description is a gallery of other seller's similar Sponsored listings!!?? This is in addition to even more below your description. A sea of other people's listings within your own listing!!???
It is so crowded it is tough to distinguish what stuff belongs to your own listing you are trying to view and what is not. It isn't clear to the buyer. It causes confusion to the buyer. They may click off your listing because they think what they are seeing it is part of it or are other listings you have (but are not)?
I am NOT happy with this.
eBay please stop pushing other peoples stuff within MY listing, especially up front and in your face before you can even get to my listing details.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: eBay showing other Sponsored Listings inside your Listing before your description!?

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@mandicrafts wrote:

When did this start? Click on your listing and now, BEFORE your item specifics or description is a gallery of other seller's similar Sponsored listings!!?? This is in addition to even more below your description. A sea of other people's listings within your own listing!!???
It is so crowded it is tough to distinguish what stuff belongs to your own listing you are trying to view and what is not. It isn't clear to the buyer. It causes confusion to the buyer. They may click off your listing because they think what they are seeing it is part of it or are other listings you have (but are not)?
eBay please stop pushing other peoples stuff within MY listing, especially up front and in your face before you can even get to my listing details.

@mandicrafts as others here have said, eBay has actually been displaying ads above descriptions for many years - they've just recently started showing it when you view your own listings while logged in as well.

eBay announced in March that they are redesigning the View Item page and explicitly said they were going to move the IS and description above any modules with other items or ads.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/We-are-testing-a-new-View-Item-experience-on-desktop/m-p/336521... 

Here are some of the key highlights of what you can expect:

Larger images
Increased prominence of the seller information.
Bring critical information like Item specifics and seller description higher up on the page before any modules that show other items & ads.
Improve the hierarchy of the page, so we show the most important information in the right order.

However, now that they are starting to roll it out, it's obvious that message either wasn't communicated to the product teams involved or that eBay has simply decided to renege on that particular point.

I've been trying to get clarification on that in this thread, but so far there has been no answer.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/NEW-Listing-page-layout-Thumbs-UP/m-p/33783021/highlight/true#... 

@valueaddedresource 

@mandicrafts 

On many sites you can turn ads off. For the any that think they(eBay ads)  are offensive, wonder how soon that option will be coming to eBay? I'm guessing it would be very popular!!! Sorry. Official tongue in cheek post for the day!!!

-Lotz

Message 31 of 60
latest reply

Re: eBay showing other Sponsored Listings inside your Listing before your description!?

As my sales continue to tank..

Message 32 of 60
latest reply

Thanks for the info.
I guess another request of eBay is to NOT hide what they are doing in this manner. They are finally revealing to us that these ads/sponsored listings have been above the description for ages? And then promise to CHANGE that in their update/testing, which we have YET to see?
I no longer do much BUYING on eBay, although I do a lot research, so I should have seen this phenom before, but maybe it depends on how we view/which platform it is viewed on? I do know that this view applies to .ca listings too (I list on both .ca and .com). But I am not sure about other eBay country platforms.

PS: Just as a statement.  I no longer do much buying on eBay because I am Canadian and no longer have access to my USD$ earned on eBay .com like I used to with using PayPal. eBay converts it to CAD$ with a 3% fee to pay me out. So for me to buy from a USD$ seller, I would then lose yet another 3% in exchange. And with so many US sellers using GSP/EIS so the tax/customs added up front, is more than what would be added at "real" customs clearance (it is entirely random with regular mail, and it is lower $ when it is assessed) and takes a lot longer to arrive since it has to be sent to a US depot first. So I stopped buying from eBay.

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

My 2 cents? Annoying as h=ll. 

When I click on my own listing I just want to see MY listing, not a bunch of other bleep I see when I'm looking not logged in.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 34 of 60
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@mandicrafts wrote:

@mandicrafts as others here have said, eBay has actually been displaying ads above descriptions for many years - they've just recently started showing it when you view your own listings while logged in as well.

eBay announced in March that they are redesigning the View Item page and explicitly said they were going to move the IS and description above any modules with other items or ads.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/We-are-testing-a-new-View-Item-experience-on-desktop/m-p/336521... 

Here are some of the key highlights of what you can expect:

Larger images
Increased prominence of the seller information.
Bring critical information like Item specifics and seller description higher up on the page before any modules that show other items & ads.
Improve the hierarchy of the page, so we show the most important information in the right order.

However, now that they are starting to roll it out, it's obvious that message either wasn't communicated to the product teams involved or that eBay has simply decided to renege on that particular point.

I've been trying to get clarification on that in this thread, but so far there has been no answer.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/NEW-Listing-page-layout-Thumbs-UP/m-p/33783021/highlight/true#... 

@valueaddedresource 

@mandicrafts 

On many sites you can turn ads off. For the any that think they(eBay ads)  are offensive, wonder how soon that option will be coming to eBay? I'm guessing it would be very popular!!! Sorry. Official tongue in cheek post for the day!!!

-Lotz

@lotzofuniquegoodies I actually sort of tongue in cheek asked that in a monthly chat a while back...basically suggested maybe another revenue stream for eBay could be to offer sellers the ability to remove all competitor ads from their listings as part of an "ad-free" subscription product.

I believe the official answer was it wasn't something they were considering at that time. 😂

Message 35 of 60
latest reply

@mandicrafts wrote:

Thanks for the info.
I guess another request of eBay is to NOT hide what they are doing in this manner. They are finally revealing to us that these ads/sponsored listings have been above the description for ages? And then promise to CHANGE that in their update/testing, which we have YET to see?
I no longer do much BUYING on eBay, although I do a lot research, so I should have seen this phenom before, but maybe it depends on how we view/which platform it is viewed on? I do know that this view applies to .ca listings too (I list on both .ca and .com). But I am not sure about other eBay country platforms.

PS: Just as a statement.  I no longer do much buying on eBay because I am Canadian and no longer have access to my USD$ earned on eBay .com like I used to with using PayPal. eBay converts it to CAD$ with a 3% fee to pay me out. So for me to buy from a USD$ seller, I would then lose yet another 3% in exchange. And with so many US sellers using GSP/EIS so the tax/customs added up front, is more than what would be added at "real" customs clearance (it is entirely random with regular mail, and it is lower $ when it is assessed) and takes a lot longer to arrive since it has to be sent to a US depot first. So I stopped buying from eBay.

@mandicrafts  it definitely can depend on what platform it's viewed on as well as whether you are logged in, which account you are logged in to, what browser you are using, ad blocking or privacy apps and add ons you might be running, and more.

Like this current test with the new design I only see when logged in to one account, but don't see it logged in to a different account or when viewing it in an incognito browser.

Absolutely agree with your request to eBay to not hide what they are doing - I think a whole lot of headaches and heartache for buyers, sellers and eBay could be avoided with much more proactive and transparent communication about pretty much everything on the site, but eBay apparently doesn't agree.

Message 36 of 60
latest reply

Having the description BEFORE THE BOMBARDMENT OF ADS, seems like the BEST THING TO DO FOR THE SELLER AND THE BUYER. Why put a buyer through having to gloss over all those ads before they can even get to the item they want to look into. JUST PLAIN STUPID.

Message 37 of 60
latest reply

No kidding. It’s great exercise for sure. During the pandemic I gained 10 pound because I could not do my massive workout at Walmart. Also the heavy lifting of the items out of the store and into the car instead of pickup.

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Having the description BEFORE THE BOMBARDMENT OF ADS, seems like the BEST THING TO DO FOR THE SELLER AND THE BUYER. Why put a buyer through having to gloss over all those ads before they can even get to the item they want to look into. JUST PLAIN STUPID.

@vintagecraze50 totally agree and I was hopeful that maybe eBay finally did too when they made the announcement about the new design but it would seem someone in accounting may have overridden the product teams and overwhelming feedback from both buyers and sellers. :ebayboxwmoney:

Message 39 of 60
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

@vintagecraze50 totally agree and I was hopeful that maybe eBay finally did too when they made the announcement about the new design but it would seem someone in accounting may have overridden the product teams and overwhelming feedback from both buyers and sellers. :ebayboxwmoney:

@valueaddedresource 

@vintagecraze50 

When you see the comments/critiques after something has been rolled out you get the feeling that whatever was shared they did a 180 and applied the total opposite.

-Lotz

Message 40 of 60
latest reply

So, let me get this straight...  if I'm a Seller paying for Promoted Listings, my single item listing will show up on other Seller's listing page for the same or similar item. At the same time, "other" Seller(s) using Promoted Listings are paying to have their same or similar items show up on my listing page? 

So, in exchange for showing my one item on other Seller's listing page, I get to pay for the privilege of showcasing similar items from multiple competing Sellers on my single item listing?  It's clear that this strategy is designed to pit Sellers against each other so they have no choice but to pay for PL.  It's one things to pay for more visibility on eBay and external search, but this is unfair for Sellers who chose not to pay for PL.    

Regardless of "when" this went into affect, it's just morally and ethically wrong.   

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

@pls-consignments wrote:

So, let me get this straight...  if I'm a Seller paying for Promoted Listings, my single item listing will show up on other Seller's listing page for the same or similar item. At the same time, "other" Seller(s) using Promoted Listings are paying to have their same or similar items show up on my listing page? 

So, in exchange for showing my one item on other Seller's listing page, I get to pay for the privilege of showcasing similar items from multiple competing Sellers on my single item listing?  It's clear that this strategy is designed to pit Sellers against each other so they have no choice but to pay for PL.  It's one things to pay for more visibility on eBay and external search, but this is unfair for Sellers who chose not to pay for PL.    

Regardless of "when" this went into affect, it's just morally and ethically wrong.   

@pls-consignments - it's interesting to look at the history of PL on eBay.

Originally it was presented as "cross-promotion" and was a completely voluntary quid pro quo system - you could opt in to have your listings promoted on other sellers' listings that had opted in, but in return you would have other sellers' listings promoted on yours as well.

Or you could choose not to opt in, and forgo the possible "bump" from being cross promoted, but also then not have any other sellers' items shown on your listings.

They killed that opt out option in 2019 and we've seen where PL has gone since then....now over 100 competitor ads stuffed on every  listing page, increasingly more taking over the top spots in search, being shoved into buyer watch lists etc. with even more new and different ad products "coming soon".

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

Just another in a plethora of new challenges and disgusting improvements for the viewing pleasure and frustration of sellers, thanks to our friendly neighborhood FleeceBay.

Message 43 of 60
latest reply

@pls-consignments wrote:

@pls-consignments - it's interesting to look at the history of PL on eBay.

Originally it was presented as "cross-promotion" and was a completely voluntary quid pro quo system - you could opt in to have your listings promoted on other sellers' listings that had opted in, but in return you would have other sellers' listings promoted on yours as well.

Or you could choose not to opt in, and forgo the possible "bump" from being cross promoted, but also then not have any other sellers' items shown on your listings.

They killed that opt out option in 2019 and we've seen where PL has gone since then....now over 100 competitor ads stuffed on every  listing page, increasingly more taking over the top spots in search, being shoved into buyer watch lists etc. with even more new and different ad products "coming soon".

Over my time as a seller on eBay I have routinely watched my traffic numbers when they became available. From past experience my items were "mostly" found/sold via eBay vs some kind of mysterious other search. As standard practice finding what you were looking for on eBay was usually a straight forward process. Put in the appropriate search words, search by shipping cost/distance and you were good to go. For sales my numbers were consistently 5 to 2 for eBay vs external. (30 to 45 sales per month).

Spring forward to approx. Aug 2022 it did a flip flop with most searches being done in eBay. 3 to 2. Sales dropped off the cliff at that point.  Now June 2023 its almost 1 to 1. Sales now? A good month 15 total.  During that period of time I've gone from 500 to 1500 listings. Really missing the benefits of buyers not being able to "easily" find items within eBay. It definitely has not improved my sales numbers. We won't even talk about the dollar numbers.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1686157691197.png

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1686157773198.png

-Lotz

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

They know exactly what they're doing. 

Message 45 of 60
latest reply