cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will eBay pay my overdraft fee?

Ebay tried to charge my debit card, but I didn't have the funds so it got returned. Then eBay simply subtracted the sellers fees from my PayPal balance. After that though, eBay has tried to reprocess the charge multiple times and in the process they've made me incur muilple overdraft and NSF fees. 

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@adrock1795 wrote:

Ebay tried to charge my debit card, but I didn't have the funds so it got returned. Then eBay simply subtracted the sellers fees from my PayPal balance. After that though, eBay has tried to reprocess the charge multiple times and in the process they've made me incur muilple overdraft and NSF fees. 

That is why you should have sufficent funds in the card that ebay will take their fees from.  Or another backup payment system.  They do have the right to get paid.

Message 2 of 69
latest reply

This board is made up of ebay sellers and buyers........  We are not part of ebay management and cannot guess what ebay may/may not do.  If you think you have a legit gripe, call and ask them........have all the info ready, dates times, amounts.........

Message 3 of 69
latest reply

Be an adult.  Take responsibility for your own actions, or lack thereof.  

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 4 of 69
latest reply

You might want to talk to your bank about setting up overdraft protection, if this situation is going to keep happening. Yes, the bank socks you with a fee if they have to cover an overdraft like this, but on the plus side (if there is a plus side), at least your creditor gets paid the first time, and doesn't keep coming back and triggering multiple overdrafts and fees after their first attempt fails.

Overdraft protection is not something you want to keep using; it's solely as a safety net in case something goes seriously wrong on an occasional or (hopefully) one-time basis.

Finally, if this is the first time things have gone wrong like this, you might try an appeal to your bank. Be nice, and maybe they'll waive some or all of the fees as a one-time courtesy.

Message 5 of 69
latest reply

@adrock1795 wrote:

eBay will pay your overdraft fees, when elephants make nut fudge brownies. 

Get eBay off your card or cancel the card.

Message 6 of 69
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@adrock1795 wrote:

That is why you should have sufficent funds in the card that ebay will take their fees from.  Or another backup payment system.  They do have the right to get paid.

BUT, according to the OP after the first try at the card they DID take the fees from PayPal, so how do you justify them STILL trying over and over to charge the fees to the card?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 7 of 69
latest reply

An overdraft fee is the ultimate responsibility of the account holder.

With all due respect, expect to be paying that one yourself.

Message 8 of 69
latest reply

Technically I believe the OP is being hit with NSF fees not OD fees, as to get OD fees the bank would have had to actually pay the charge.

Either way, I understand ONE fee being charged when there were insufficient funds but not multiple fees for multiple tries by eBay when they have already taken the fees from PayPal after the first try on the car didn't go through.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 9 of 69
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@adrock1795 wrote:

BUT, according to the OP after the first try at the card they DID take the fees from PayPal, so how do you justify them STILL trying over and over to charge the fees to the card?

I read that as subtracting from his paypal account turned in into the red meaning it did not cover the fees.

So they again processed it through his card.

Message 10 of 69
latest reply

You don't have to pay your invoice automatically - just pay it by paypal every month.

The backup funding source that you register with eBay is supposed to have sufficient credit/funds to pay refunds.

No, eBay is not going to pay your overdraft fees.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 11 of 69
latest reply

timemachine777 wrote: 
eBay will pay your overdraft fees, when elephants make nut fudge brownies.  

"Wait! Stop! Don't pick those up! Those aren't nut fudge brown--... Oooh... too late..."

Message 12 of 69
latest reply

It sucks that you got more fees because you didn't have the funds (believe me- I've been there), but those funds are your and your only responsibilty. You signed up with a user agreement, and that agreement wrote about relative fees. Sorry, I know it sucks, I know it hurts, and I know (I genuinely do KNOW) how much you're hurting now, but it is what it is. None of us have guarantees in life. And that includes your life.

Message 13 of 69
latest reply

@campesinoplastic2014 wrote:

An overdraft fee is the ultimate responsibility of the account holder.

With all due respect, expect to be paying that one yourself.

Actually it depends on both the bank and the reason for the overdraft. I once made a purchase with my debit card for a large amount of money. Then over the weekend the company double dipped my account and on Monday morning the bank paid them first, and then paid a bunch of other transactions, while hitting me with both NSF charges and charges for paying those purchases.

So they reverse the charges, and I contacted the company that double dipped me, and instead of reversing the transaction they hit my account a third time. My bank reversed the fees and did a charge back on the 2 extra debits and then went after the company for all the overdraft fees that they reversed related to those transactions. A big nightmare.

Message 14 of 69
latest reply

LOL@ Not fudge nut brownies

Message 15 of 69
latest reply