cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the hell is this site ALL ABOUT THE BUYERS?

We have been on Ebay for over 28 years. Ebay has become all about the buyer. They say there is protection for the sellers, THERE IS NONE! All the protection goes to the buyers! We pay on average $1500 in fees. For what? Pictures and listings? We pay for our store. Ebay sucks now. We cannot even return feedback. UGGH!

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

Re: Why the hell is this site ALL ABOUT THE BUYERS?

I agree completely. While buyers should feel safe making purchase you do not do this by enabling scammers or buyers who simply do not want to take responsibility for the choices they make. It’s a bit one-sided to simplistically say the buyers bring in the money and eBay indirectly confirms this by constantly fishing for new sellers. If sellers don't feel safe then they will eventually close up shop or not even sell on eBay to begin with because of the bad publicity. In the end, Buyers won't come if there is nothing to buy. Sellers are just as necessary as buyers as must be true for any trade to take place. At least that should be the way eBay views it. Moreover, most sellers are buyers as well so alienating a seller means losing money in two ways instead of just one.  Not to mention that Sellers can also bad mouth the site just like a buyer. The only way to deal with this rationally is by being a truly honest broker and sticking with your own policies be it for the seller OR the buyer. That means transparency, true fiarness and clarity; something eBay does not do well.

Message 31 of 134
latest reply

wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

wrote:

Or it simply could be a typo.

Hit the 2 instead of the 1.

And the 8 instead of the 5? Not likely.

2 for 1 would make it 18.  'Over 18 years' would make it sometime before 2000 which is possible.

OP registered in May, 2002. That makes 15 years and change. Hence the 8 instead of the 5.

Message 32 of 134
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

OP registered <THIS ID> in May, 2002.

There could be others.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 33 of 134
latest reply

I'm sorry to say this, but looking at the OPs feedback, maybe it's a seller issue

Message 34 of 134
latest reply

wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

OP registered <THIS ID> in May, 2002.

There could be others.

Yes, maybe one of them was opened in 1990. 😉

Message 35 of 134
latest reply

Dishonest buyers: I have lately experienced several instances of buyers trying to scam me. I am pretty good at deflecting them, but two have succeeded. This has all occurred within the last year or two. People are different today.
Message 36 of 134
latest reply

Tunicaslot: No, its not as easy as in the old days. But one has to add up the time and the effort put into selling here, total the rewards, and see if it makes economic sense. Working twice as hard for half the rewards simply does not cut it. Whatever the reason(s) for the decline in revenue, decline is unacceptable.
Message 37 of 134
latest reply

Ebay  takes Credit Cards now through Paypal ,   and all these pro buyer policies are dictated by the CC companies.

Take returns.

Figure out how much returns cost you and add them to the cost of your items.

All selling venues from brick and morters have shrinkage or loss problems.

All selling sites have the same pro buyer policies.

If you have high theft items get hang tags that say these must be attached in order for returns.     We have bright pink zebra striped ones that we use a tag gun on.

Get holigram single use stickers and place on electronics or other items and take a picture in your listings that say these must be attached.

Message 38 of 134
latest reply

OMG... Topics like this pop up every few days and seems like we have an endless loop. Tons of words have been spoken and written, but we are on the same spot. Nothing changed. It's not enough to just complain about something - we have to do something. If you don't like this place you can leave. Use some free boards to sell your stuff, or you can create your own website. The only difference between those is that ebay is a world-famous place for selling/buying and have a huge audience. This is the biggest advantage ebay has as a selling platform. It increases your chances of being found by the buyers, which in turn increases chances of selling your stuff. I assume that's what we all pay for here.

Message 39 of 134
latest reply

wrote:

OMG... Topics like this pop up every few days and seems like we have an endless loop. Tons of words have been spoken and written, but we are on the same spot. Nothing changed. It's not enough to just complain about something - we have to do something. If you don't like this place you can leave. Use some free boards to sell your stuff, or you can create your own website. The only difference between those is that ebay is a world-famous place for selling/buying and have a huge audience. This is the biggest advantage ebay has as a selling platform. It increases your chances of being found by the buyers, which in turn increases chances of selling your stuff. I assume that's what we all pay for here.

Do you notice something though? There are a few new posters that complain, but mostly its the same people, with the same issues over and over.

Maybe the issue isnt with the platform but the sellers

Message 40 of 134
latest reply

Other sites have not been branded as the site where buyers can rip-off sellers like e-bay has.  Most people now know that buyers can get "free" shipping both ways by simply opening as "Not as Described" case and will get the return and original shipping refunded merely based upon description and nuance.  Sellers are seeing this more and more and it does not benefit us to fight it because eBay does nothing to protect sellers.  This Christmas I had a woman who claimed both zippers were broken on her boots during shipping.  No photos, but opened a case and got a $50 adjustment because eBay always assigns shipping costs to sellers regardless of situation or dishonesty or proof.  Today under another account I got shipping fees assigned to me because the buyer claimed something was not authentic despite having and photographing the receipt,  the original tags, the registration card, and proof of authenticity card inside the item that was shipped.  Did not matter to eBay.  This is simply dishonest.    I too am slowly leaving eBay too.  

Most sellers have increased their shipping costs in the listing to offset any postage increases so your claim is worthless.  EBay is losing sellers because sellers are losing money due to their return policy.  It takes a lot of good and profitable sales to make up for just one bad/dishonest sale.  EBay's reputation for providing no protection for sellers is attracting irresponsible/manipulative buyers at a greater frequency.  Years ago there was no forced and automatic return policy where abuse was a regular event.  Getting ripped off with greater frequency by an unfair return policy eats profits far worse than postal increases. 

I have no idea why so many on eBay's boards want to defend and excuse the indefensible.  When sellers leave, they buy elsewhere as well.  As traffic slows fees will have to increase.  As traffic slows, so will profits and prices.  Harder work/more sales now result in losing more money because sales now result in losing money due to eBay's unfair return policy at a great rate.   The diminishing profits do not offset the sick feeling you get when you get ripped off nor the anger you experience at its enablers.  Sorry, you can't excuse what we sellers are experiencing.

Message 41 of 134
latest reply

There is no way to adequately protect good buyers while also protecting sellers from scammers. The best Ebay could do is to permanently remove repeat scammers. They should be doing that more but it wouldn't help the first couple of scammed sellers.

The biggest issue I see on the boards is that many of the sellers screaming fraud and bad buyers are dealing with simple returns or nonpayment and over reacting. If they truly used the word scam for scams this board wouldn't look anywhere near as bad.

Scams are not as common as they would seem on the boards. Nobody comes here to report the 1000s of transactions they complete with no issues. Also sellers cannot expect to have a perfect ride. All businesses have shrinkage. It becomes a problem when it rises above a certain threshold which should not be none. If a particular seller is having that much trouble with scammers they need to change what they're selling or how or where they are selling it.

Message 42 of 134
latest reply

No, I have not noticed this at all. I see new users/sellers experiencing the same unfair business practices but the same users continually defending it. To simply say that they are the same sellers who are experiencing it while hoping everybody believes you and nobody calls you out on it is kind of deceptive.
Message 43 of 134
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Another one who's been on ebay longer than its existance.

HAHAHA, yea I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP. Maybe he meant 28 dog years.

So many people claim to be on ebay far longer than it's been around. I see it all the time in this board, ever since the 1950's grin

Some remember it when the dinosaurs roamed the earth!Smiley Very Happy

I loved the pet brontosaurus I had when I was a kid. But cleaning up after it? Whoo — no one in the family wanted that chore!scream

Message 44 of 134
latest reply

Luxe: Against discussion board policy to suggest that posters leave ebay. One may lose rights to post.
Message 45 of 134
latest reply