cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspended for selling Purple Heart Case (No medal) after eBay says it is ok to list....

I had a purple heart case listed, just the case listed and it was removed.  I called ebay and was told I could relist it if I reworded the title a little. I asked the rep to add type this down in the notes just in case it gets pulled again. I relisted and it lasted a few days and it got pulled again and I get suspended for it. Only one day, but its still a pain. So I call again, run in circles,  and get to a supervisor. Shes says I cant sell the case. I asked where it says this and she says its in here own top secret ebay rule book.  I asked her to read it to me, and it was different everytime. I had her telling me that I couldnt list the case because you cant sell any goverment related items on ebay.... . She couldnt see where the other rep had said i could relist it, of course.  Nothing she could do.

She claims there was no one else I could talk to. Is this true? Is there no way to talk to someone who speaks english and or has a clue about ebay? Is it better to call during normal work hours? 

Message 1 of 221
latest reply
220 REPLIES 220

Re: Suspended for selling Purple Heart Case (No medal) after eBay says it is ok to list....

At this point I'd be mostly concerned about your account being flagged. This could, and probably will, result in lower search visibility for months - even if you have no additional issues.

Forget the Purple Heart box, forget the suspension. Next call to CS I would try to find someone willing to remove the flag.

Message 136 of 221
latest reply

Re: Suspended for selling Purple Heart Case (No medal) after eBay says it is ok to list....

@sumric wrote:

Once again its not a medal, but you people will just not let that go.  it is a box and the famaily is aware.

Can you not get that there are millions that collect these and many more military items.  There are millions who repect what the item is are not just throwing it in a box to collect dust.  You get there are people out thre looking for these thigns for Military Museums?

Stop trying to shame this OP.  He just worded it incorrectily causing the issue.  half you people weren't even in the militry to say a WORD against this. 

SMH you all need to just stop and let the OP alone on that. 

You need to read the whole thread.  An eBay official said they can follow the history far enough to say that the medal was actually part of the offering.  They can not show us details about a specific transaction but was kind enough to share the finding about the transaction for an extended listing time frame which includes original and revised listings.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 137 of 221
latest reply

There is loads of Purple Heart cases listed on ebay, including replica Purple Heart medals.

So are they allowed to be sold on ebay or not ?

Message 138 of 221
latest reply

At least you stopped incorrectly referring to the Stolen Valor act...

Not much to do with being ashamed at all. There are many vets that are proud of what they did, or not to happy about what they got out of it . Alot of vets are just proud of what they did, they dont need get dressed up and wear a medal or do anything to brag about it....Yes alot of vets are proud and should be. Some arent proud to have signed up to serve there country only to be injured figting for some pilictians agenda.  My grandfather was awarded one and has never spoke of it. He was shot rescuing soldiers but in the same war was responsible for the loss of hundreds possibly thousands of lives. He stayed in, achieved the rank of Colonel, and stayed in till retiring. His medal has never came out of the box. I cant wait till I get his, if he still has, it will not be for sale.  I would not be suprised  if my kids, kids, kids where no longer in posession at some point. 100 years from know most of the families of the soldiers with purple hearts that you know wont give a hoot about their sacrifices. How far back do you celebrate your family members? Alot of people dont have attachments to family they never more. Thats just life. No one would pay hundreds of dollars for a WWII era Purple Heart with someone else name on it to to falsly wear, they would buy a 15 dollar medal with their own name on. Someone who pays hundreds of dollars for a medal is going to appreciate and respect the medal more than a distant family member who keeps in a box in the basement.

Again there is value in cases. There is a huge historical value and collectibility of Purple Hearts. Remember we are talking about one from WWII. Someone with A WWII Purple Heart is going to want a WWII There are style variations fakes. There are no makers marks so one without a medal can be harder to date. Condition is a  factor. The style of interior, etc etc. Just like the style of engraving on the medal itself has huge impact on the value of a medal. A true collector with a 1941 Purple Heart and no case would pay up for the matching case.  

And again THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING ABLE TO SELL A MEDAL!!!!. It is about customer service giving the wrong information.... wow

Message 139 of 221
latest reply

Goodluckselling needs to read the whole thread as well, maybe they would realize what Trinton said is not only not factual, but also is irrelevant. 

Message 140 of 221
latest reply

You think every what every Ebay employee says is true and correct ?!?  

Message 141 of 221
latest reply

It is about customer service giving the wrong information.... wow

Nope.........it's about you trying to game the system.  It is ok, per CS & Trinton, to sell the case.........it's not ok to sell the case with the intent of including the medal, which is, according to what you said in one answer, what your messages indicated you would do......... You asked the question about selling the case only to cover yourself if it was taken down again...  and it didn't work..........  you got caught.

Message 142 of 221
latest reply

No where in the listing, either one did it say, show, or hint at the medal being included.

Only in my messages were there conversations about accquiring the medal. Which was there the first and second time the listing was pulled and was never the issue for it being pulled.

Message 143 of 221
latest reply

@kaykeecorp wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@kaykeecorp wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

ebay would be better off not even having these low level people answering the phones but rather direct them to this board for help.  And just have the better trained up the food chain people answering calls for things only they can deal with.

@emerald40

Not a good resolution to the problem you are describing,  eBay is responsible for all actions and eBay CS is no different.  A registered user can take legal action and use the data available to them including the CS experience.

Are you saying you are willing to accept any legal action targeted at you from your actions in helping another user of the forum?

Good Luck Selling!

But the OP was given incorrect advice from eBay Customer Service. Their selling privileges were suspended for a day, therefore losing business and $.

What legal action can the OP take? We agree to a TOS that prohibits legal action.

Why would legal action target users on an anonymous discussion board and not eBay Customer Service?

All actions regardless if conducted by eBay CS or the platform in general are still available for legal actions.  You and I might have agree to opt out of class action lawsuits but that does not release the responsibilty of the site and its agents to legal actions by individuals.

Good Luck Selling!

You would have to have pretty deep pockets to fight ebay in court so is it even feasible for most of us?

Don't even buy into the deflection and obfuscation.

This argument is a red herring and is aimed at derailing the actual discussion of EBay CS misleading the OP so they were suspended as a result.

i see you boo wink

As one of the older generation, what exactly is a "boo."

And what deflection are you referring to?  Someone mentioned suit and I responded.

Still celebrating the 4th?

Message 144 of 221
latest reply

@sumric wrote:

Why is it so hard for people to read?  OP said three times already that he was selling the case, NOT the medal. 

Yes, and if he had simply inserted in the title - Case only - we would not be having this conversation.

Message 145 of 221
latest reply

@sumric wrote:

Once again its not a medal, but you people will just not let that go.  it is a box and the famaily is aware.

Can you not get that there are millions that collect these and many more military items.  There are millions who repect what the item is are not just throwing it in a box to collect dust.  You get there are people out thre looking for these thigns for Military Museums?

Stop trying to shame this OP.  He just worded it incorrectily causing the issue.  half you people weren't even in the militry to say a WORD against this. 

SMH you all need to just stop and let the OP alone on that. 

And you are not getting a simple fact that no matter who collects what, and what your or my opinion is, you are in ebay's sandbox.

A simple Case Only in the thread would have avoided this.

Or did OP imply that he also owned the medal as co word for just email me and ask?

And for your info my late father received one after being wounded in WW2.

Message 146 of 221
latest reply

The original intent was to sell the case.  If someone bought the case they would recieve just that.  There were conversations of money or sales off of ebay. From what i was aware of I was not in violation of policy. The listing wasnt pulled because of what was in the messages,  the detective found that after fact. If the messages were an issue customer service would have correctly educated me... the first one second one, the supervisor....

Message 147 of 221
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

There is loads of Purple Heart cases listed on ebay, including replica Purple Heart medals.

So are they allowed to be sold on ebay or not ?

Purple Heart Medals are specifically prohibited from being sold here.

Message 148 of 221
latest reply

@hawgryders wrote:

I truly appreciate your efforts at educating this old man --- you are certainly convincing in your reasoning why you have been wronged

Unfortunately, some of us are just too dumb to be taught the nuances on how to skirt the rules by selling "empty boxes" and such --- since we all know a TRULY empty box has no value at all --- it is the item inside that carries the value

A value that was earned with the blood of a warrior --- a lot of whom I do know --- and everyone of them is proud of their sacrifice for the rest of us --- they are the **Real 1%**

Most likely, the ones you know who are ashamed got their "empty boxes" from folks like you ...

However, most empty boxes sold(toys, etc.) are used to complete the actual toy collection if one wants to display a toy in the original box.

I assume that some military collectors would want to display a loose medal in an original box, or someone who received the medal but lost the box may want  to replace it.

I've sold empty toy boxes here  - some for many hundreds of dollars. I actually have more to list when I get around to it.

I also have a 1937 league baseball box to list - it came with a ball signed by two players from a local pony league associated with the Pittsburgh Pirates. The estate where I bought them came from the player who blew out his knee and that was the end. The other player became a MLB player for years. I will be selling the ball and box separately(since the box is stamped 'league'), so if someone wanted a box for a ball signed by Babe Ruth or someone from  that era, this would be their chance to get one.

As i suspected. 

You were using the ebay messaging system to discuss sale of the medal. You can't do that, it's their sandbox. 

I don't often side with ebay on these threads, but they got this one right. 

Message 150 of 221
latest reply