cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I trust a buyer who just created his account today with 0 feedback?

I got an offer on an item at a buy it now price. He messaged me saying

"Hello seller pleasure buying from you kindly accept the offer so that the payment can be made today and the item can be shipped out today also."

His address is in the US, as is mine, but he has 0 feedback which made me wary at first, and that's when I noticed he just made an account today. I have some experience selling, but never have I been scammed. Would this be too big a risk to take on a more expensive item?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@mitchell_rifkind wrote:

"Hello seller pleasure buying from you kindly accept the offer so that the payment can be made today and the item can be shipped out today also."

His address is in the US, as is mine, but he has 0 feedback which made me wary at first, and that's when I noticed he just made an account today. I have some experience selling, but never have I been scammed. Would this be too big a risk to take on a more expensive item?

If it's on those Timberland's, don't do it.  That is scammer grammar and you will most likely receive a fake payment notice through Paypal.  They are trying to direct you instead of asking questions.  You need to refuse, block, and report them immediately.  Also know that because of your low feedback, the items you sell are a scammer's paradise.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@mitchell_rifkind wrote:

"Scammer grammar"... I like that... Smiley Happy

Yes, it's a scam. The scammer is hoping to send you a fake PayPal notification and stampede you into shipping as soon as possible, before eBay detects them and nukes the account. They send out those messages in bulk to as many new sellers of high-priced or high-scam merchandise as possible, which is why they have to refer to your boots as "the item" instead of actually taking time to personalize the wording of the message. Block and ignore.

You might want to dump that Make Offer option and just list the boots for what you really want to get for them, and set the Immediate Payment Required option on your listing so that no one can snatch them off the market without actually paying you for them first.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You are a fairly new buyer selling high priced items - that is never a good mix and I hope we don't see you in another week telling us you got scammed out of those other two pairs of shoes.

Despite the fact the buyer just opened the acct today does not make them a scammer - we all have 0 feedback at some point. It looks like he sent you a Best Offer on the item. You become leery of a person if they ask for your personal email address as they will send a fake email to your acct saying you've been paid when you weren't. Most people see the notification and just pack and ship before checking their Paypal acct.

If you are ever unsure whether to sell to someone with a best offer - kindly refuse the offer and block them - but again - not every 0 feedback buyer is bad.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Zero FB buyers who just joined today never concern me, on the other hand the rest of their messages does.  My advise would be to avoid the transaction.

OK, just looked at your profile.  4 FB seller and it is a $160 item.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92gP2J0CUjc

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 5 of 5
latest reply