cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

I'm selling a force feedback wheel (used for driving video games) and just received this message:

Hi, my name is ------ and I am really interesting in this wheel set, my friend have them and he told me they are very good and comfortable but he told me to be careful from fakes of them so can you please send picture of the serial number alongside a piece of paper with this number on it: [######] so i can be sure this is ok, I had a problem once so I am being careful.
thank you in advance :

so it sounds like a scam but I'm not sure how giving him the serial number could be ued against me.  What should I do?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Is this a scam?

I'd ignore and block that on the basis of it being just plain weird. (His include-a-piece-of-paper-in-the-photo routine is intended to prevent you from pulling up somone else's photo of a real serial and pretending that it's yours.)

However, at the same time, whenever I list an item carrying a serial number, I do include it in the listing (in both a photo and text form) as a little extra discouragement for any scammer planning to swap units on me and return a dead one. Not a perfect strategy, of course, but anything to persuade a scammer to move on to someone else's listing...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Is this a scam?

Yeah, an electronic device for $177?  Don't do it.  There is no need for them to know the sereal number.  Their grammar is poor, and things like this aren't faked; especially from Logitech.  They are clearly a scammer, even though I don't know the finer points of how this will work with that vs. a phone, or a computer.  Why would they be asking you to post this alongside a piece of paper with another number?  Remember: if it sounds odd, if they are asking for numbers like that, or they usually pull the, "friend" angle, it's a scam.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

The poor grammar is one clue of a scam -- although I realize that some people are semi-illiterate in any language.

However, I would not provide a serial number because this person could then report the unit as stolen and claim you are in possession of stolen merchandise.

I would be tempted to ignore the message and block the eBay user ID. But if you do respond (via eBay messages with no personal information), just say that you are unable to provide the information requested. You could, I suppose, mention that you bought the item from a major retail store and/or directly from the manufacturer.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

The only thing you need to do is not respond to the message and place them on bbl immediately. Definitely a scam, so do not be a victim. Good luck with the sale to a legitimate buyer.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

Buyer blocked.  Thank you all for the advice!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

I'd ignore and block that on the basis of it being just plain weird. (His include-a-piece-of-paper-in-the-photo routine is intended to prevent you from pulling up somone else's photo of a real serial and pretending that it's yours.)

However, at the same time, whenever I list an item carrying a serial number, I do include it in the listing (in both a photo and text form) as a little extra discouragement for any scammer planning to swap units on me and return a dead one. Not a perfect strategy, of course, but anything to persuade a scammer to move on to someone else's listing...

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

So I'd be safer adding a photo of the serial number to my listing?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

There are as many tips for buyers on the net about how to safely buy electronics on sites like Ebay as there are tips for sellers - how to avoid being scammed. I'd always put a pic of the serial number in your listing - it confirms to the buyer that the serial number isn't rubbed out - which means it might be stolen and a scammer is more apt to think twice about scamming you for the item.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

@starggold wrote:

So I'd be safer adding a photo of the serial number to my listing?

Generally yes, unless the serial number itself has some value (e.g. on a gift card or some such thing).

If its only purpose is to uniquely identify that particular example of the item you're selling, then yes, include a closeup photo of it, and also mention it within the text description, or put it in an Item Specifics field.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply