cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspended for selling Purple Heart Case (No medal) after eBay says it is ok to list....

I had a purple heart case listed, just the case listed and it was removed.  I called ebay and was told I could relist it if I reworded the title a little. I asked the rep to add type this down in the notes just in case it gets pulled again. I relisted and it lasted a few days and it got pulled again and I get suspended for it. Only one day, but its still a pain. So I call again, run in circles,  and get to a supervisor. Shes says I cant sell the case. I asked where it says this and she says its in here own top secret ebay rule book.  I asked her to read it to me, and it was different everytime. I had her telling me that I couldnt list the case because you cant sell any goverment related items on ebay.... . She couldnt see where the other rep had said i could relist it, of course.  Nothing she could do.

She claims there was no one else I could talk to. Is this true? Is there no way to talk to someone who speaks english and or has a clue about ebay? Is it better to call during normal work hours? 

Message 1 of 221
latest reply
220 REPLIES 220

Re: Suspended for selling Purple Heart Case (No medal) after eBay says it is ok to list....

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

ebay would be better off not even having these low level people answering the phones but rather direct them to this board for help.  And just have the better trained up the food chain people answering calls for things only they can deal with.

@emerald40

Not a good resolution to the problem you are describing,  eBay is responsible for all actions and eBay CS is no different.  A registered user can take legal action and use the data available to them including the CS experience.

Are you saying you are willing to accept any legal action targeted at you from your actions in helping another user of the forum?

Rubbish. Pleae stop making up legal fantasies.

The real reason why it would be a bad idea to steer all CS questions here is becuase we would be simply overwhelmed. For all their faults i still think that CS probably manages to give some kind of useful answer MOST of the time because MOST of the time whatever the caller wants will be covered by something in the script. Its only when things get complicated or the CS person is really being a bonehead that we will hear about it here. I wouldnt make it as a CS person because i would go crazy answering the same questions every day.

What is rubbish? and what part are you referring to?

Keep in mind the original statement (at top of this post) was ebay should do away with low level CS and direct them here for advice and solutions. 

eBay for giving directions and the participants offering advice and solutions would be liable to legal action should it come to that. 

But lets remember we are only talking about what if situations, and in this what if situation should it ever come to pass would kill the forum completely because you nor I would use the forum because we are now liable if we give advice and solutions to other users as directed by eBay.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 121 of 221
latest reply

Re: Suspended for selling Purple Heart Case (No medal) after eBay says it is ok to list....

@goodluckselling wrote:

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

ebay would be better off not even having these low level people answering the phones but rather direct them to this board for help.  And just have the better trained up the food chain people answering calls for things only they can deal with.

@emerald40

Not a good resolution to the problem you are describing,  eBay is responsible for all actions and eBay CS is no different.  A registered user can take legal action and use the data available to them including the CS experience.

Are you saying you are willing to accept any legal action targeted at you from your actions in helping another user of the forum?

Rubbish. Pleae stop making up legal fantasies.

The real reason why it would be a bad idea to steer all CS questions here is becuase we would be simply overwhelmed. For all their faults i still think that CS probably manages to give some kind of useful answer MOST of the time because MOST of the time whatever the caller wants will be covered by something in the script. Its only when things get complicated or the CS person is really being a bonehead that we will hear about it here. I wouldnt make it as a CS person because i would go crazy answering the same questions every day.

What is rubbish? and what part are you referring to?

Keep in mind the original statement (at top of this post) was ebay should do away with low level CS and direct them here for advice and solutions. 

eBay for giving directions and the participants offering advice and solutions would be liable to legal action should it come to that. 

But lets remember we are only talking about what if situations, and in this what if situation should it ever come to pass would kill the forum completely because you nor I would use the forum because we are now liable if we give advice and solutions to other users as directed by eBay.

Good Luck Selling!

No. 

You are not liable and cannot be sued if you are not paid by the company or person suing. FREE advice is not vulnerable. 

Message 122 of 221
latest reply

goodluckselling wrote 

No they would not. Advice given out in a free discussion forum doesnt convey any such liability. Now lets get back on topic.

Message 123 of 221
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

goodluckselling wrote 

No they would not. Advice given out in a free discussion forum doesnt convey any such liability. Now lets get back on topic.

This is another reason why eBay would never get rid of low level CS and start to redirect users to the forum for advice and solutions.

Now please answer what Rubbish means?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 124 of 221
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@kaykeecorp wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@emerald40

Good Luck Selling!

But the OP was given incorrect advice from eBay Customer Service. Their selling privileges were suspended for a day, therefore losing business and $.

What legal action can the OP take? We agree to a TOS that prohibits legal action.

Why would legal action target users on an anonymous discussion board and not eBay Customer Service?

All actions regardless if conducted by eBay CS or the platform in general are still available for legal actions.  You and I might have agree to opt out of class action lawsuits but that does not release the responsibilty of the site and its agents to legal actions by individuals.

Good Luck Selling!

You would have to have pretty deep pockets to fight ebay in court so is it even feasible for most of us?

Message 125 of 221
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@kaykeecorp wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@emerald40

Good Luck Selling!

But the OP was given incorrect advice from eBay Customer Service. Their selling privileges were suspended for a day, therefore losing business and $.

What legal action can the OP take? We agree to a TOS that prohibits legal action.

Why would legal action target users on an anonymous discussion board and not eBay Customer Service?

All actions regardless if conducted by eBay CS or the platform in general are still available for legal actions.  You and I might have agree to opt out of class action lawsuits but that does not release the responsibilty of the site and its agents to legal actions by individuals.

Good Luck Selling!

You would have to have pretty deep pockets to fight ebay in court so is it even feasible for most of us?

It is safe to say that No, it is not feasible for any of us here in the forum, but it also is a what if scenario that would never happen to begin with.  I was not the one who started it, I simply replied with one reason and there are others but I choose one reason why it would never happen for eBay to direct its users to get ebay approved answers and solutions from the forum.  That would amount to the same thing as forum users being agents working on behalf of the marketplace the same as CS is now.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 126 of 221
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@kaykeecorp wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@emerald40

Good Luck Selling!

Good Luck Selling!

Don't even buy into the deflection and obfuscation.

This argument is a red herring and is aimed at derailing the actual discussion of EBay CS misleading the OP so they were suspended as a result.

i see you boo wink

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 127 of 221
latest reply

Received your private message --- not sure why you felt a response needed to be off-board but makes no difference to me

It appears you have long ago decided that selling a hard-earned medal from a combat wounded veteran without their permission is OK --- and anyone, including eBay, who disagrees with that is being unreasonable

The Stolen Valor Act of 2005 was written to clarify which military recognitions were "special" --- a small group was set apart --- given protections from misuse

Now even though a Judge (in 2012) said it was our "Constitutional Right" to claim Hero Status when it was not earned the Congress & POTUS felt it was important enough to rewrite the Act to keep some protections in place

As it was written in 2013 the misuse of these medals was tied to monetary gain --- and unless you are selling this "box" with permission from the rightful owner --- the Wounded Warrior who earned it --- then you are gaining monetarily --- possibly not a violation of the law --- but clearly you are going against the intent on a technically

Bottom line --- you tried --- you got caught --- you were punished --- time to move on ...

Message 128 of 221
latest reply

I sent a message to you in inent of hoping you would prevent spreading false information. I also had also corrected you here on the board and figured you woldnt read it so I sent it to you. You can reword all you want, but  the the act clearly states claiming to to be a recepient of a purple heart (and other medals) for monetary reasons or other benefits is wrong. Thats about it.  It has absolutely  nothing to do with selling a medal.  You can refer to the the 2005 Stolen Valor Act all you want, but it was deemed unconstitutional and was squashed 6 to 3, and there are huge differences between it and 2013. They didnt really rewrite it, its more like they omitted eveything but the one important rule, feel free to go and read the actual act, it takes 30 seconds as it isnt very long.

And just think for a couple seconds... lets say you want to buy a purple heart, to use  to look cool. Are you going to buy the $250 to $800 one or the $10-$15 one that looks exactly the same? Ever wonder why there is a price difference?

You should and talk to some vets who have purple hearts (if they will), one even posted here. While some are proud, quite a few are not (still proud of their service and country though).

You are entitled to your opinion but this thread has nothing to do with being able to sell a medal or not.

Message 129 of 221
latest reply

I truly appreciate your efforts at educating this old man --- you are certainly convincing in your reasoning why you have been wronged

Unfortunately, some of us are just too dumb to be taught the nuances on how to skirt the rules by selling "empty boxes" and such --- since we all know a TRULY empty box has no value at all --- it is the item inside that carries the value

A value that was earned with the blood of a warrior --- a lot of whom I do know --- and everyone of them is proud of their sacrifice for the rest of us --- they are the **Real 1%**

Most likely, the ones you know who are ashamed got their "empty boxes" from folks like you ...

Message 130 of 221
latest reply

Why is it so hard for people to read?  OP said three times already that he was selling the case, NOT the medal. 

Message 131 of 221
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@3714508518

You were caught by a bot...

it saw the word "purple heart"

And that is a no-no.

A bot has no brain, 

A bot only reads words.

The human could see that it was just a box.

And they said sure just relist.

But the bots were on you like white on rice...

When a bot takes your item down,

No human can override a bot.

The decision of the bots are final..

Do not relist, ever...

A bot can close your account.

And there is not a human in the world

who can over ride the word of the bots.

Skynet is so totally already here!

Message 132 of 221
latest reply

Talk about reading into nothing that is there.  Trying to start some drama. 

Message 133 of 221
latest reply

once again, why do people comment when they don't bother to read the whole thread.  OP said he used it verify age as you CAN look up names on websits to confirm. 

Message 134 of 221
latest reply

Once again its not a medal, but you people will just not let that go.  it is a box and the famaily is aware.

Can you not get that there are millions that collect these and many more military items.  There are millions who repect what the item is are not just throwing it in a box to collect dust.  You get there are people out thre looking for these thigns for Military Museums?

Stop trying to shame this OP.  He just worded it incorrectily causing the issue.  half you people weren't even in the militry to say a WORD against this. 

SMH you all need to just stop and let the OP alone on that. 

Message 135 of 221
latest reply