cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspended for selling Purple Heart Case (No medal) after eBay says it is ok to list....

I had a purple heart case listed, just the case listed and it was removed.  I called ebay and was told I could relist it if I reworded the title a little. I asked the rep to add type this down in the notes just in case it gets pulled again. I relisted and it lasted a few days and it got pulled again and I get suspended for it. Only one day, but its still a pain. So I call again, run in circles,  and get to a supervisor. Shes says I cant sell the case. I asked where it says this and she says its in here own top secret ebay rule book.  I asked her to read it to me, and it was different everytime. I had her telling me that I couldnt list the case because you cant sell any goverment related items on ebay.... . She couldnt see where the other rep had said i could relist it, of course.  Nothing she could do.

She claims there was no one else I could talk to. Is this true? Is there no way to talk to someone who speaks english and or has a clue about ebay? Is it better to call during normal work hours? 

Message 1 of 221
latest reply
220 REPLIES 220

Re: Suspended for selling Purple Heart Case (No medal) after eBay says it is ok to list....

@kaykeecorp wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

The whole real issue here is that the OP was told by CS that it was OK to relist this, which then resulted in a swift suspension. We've seen this same situation constantly on these boards, year after year, so there's little doubt in my mind that it happened.

The question is why eBay trains CSRs to lead their PAYING CUSTOMERS by the hand directly into serious account violations jeopardizing their livelihoods.

THANK YOU

____________________________________________________________________________________

I have had limited conversations with ebay CS, and imo, they are not trained properly.  They are reading off of scripts that I do not even think they understand.

Message 76 of 221
latest reply

Re: Suspended for selling Purple Heart Case (No medal) after eBay says it is ok to list....

emerald there aren't any names on the boxes its engraved on the back of the medals. There are 100s of thosands of medals out there in cardboard boxes in peoples basements a moment frozen in time only in the recepients mind once they are gone so is that moment...

Message 77 of 221
latest reply

They read off of scripts, after putting you on hold for 5-10 minutes so they can find the script. I dont think they can understand what they are reading as most seem unable to understand the english laungage. The best is when they they go off script...

Message 78 of 221
latest reply

Does the OP have the medal and the box or just the box.  I thought the latter, so that is where he got the name from - that it was engraved on the box as well as the medal.

Message 79 of 221
latest reply

The name is not on the box. It is used to date and verify authenticity. You can look up the name in a database.

Message 80 of 221
latest reply

emerald I have no clue mine are engraved due to being in a country that the engraving was cheap. I have 3 of them they are in a cardboard box with all my other military stuff on a shelf in the basement under the staircase. Haven't seen the light of day in probably 30 years. PH not engraved no provenance $100.00 to $150.00 engraved adds the provenance and puts it in the $200.00 to $250.00 range plenty of them for sale just not on ebay....

Message 81 of 221
latest reply

Older ones and ones from wartime have greater value. When they were issued , style of engraving, ause of injury, location of imprisonment, treatment during imprisonment , certificate, etc etc all have influence on cost, they can be worth considerably more. You can buy them on ebay, they list and sell frequently.  Alot do get pulled though

Message 82 of 221
latest reply

@3714508518 wrote:

Original title was: Rare WWII Purple Heart Case Id'ed POW LESTER E. HURT JR.

the name helps date it. Listing did not show medal or say it was included. I did not say the  medal was not included

(The new listing Title was: Rare Original WWII Purple Heart Case. Description was : Original and complete, has the lid and interior. Photos only showed the case, no medal was shown.)

After it was pulled,  CS said that if I dropped the POW LESTER E. HURT JR. , I could relist without problem. I was never told to put "medal not included," so it wasnt in the new listing. I also asked that this be put in the notes because i knew what would happen. This was a first tier CS rep so whoever said they dont do that is wrong. Trinton either doesnt know what he is talking about or didnt listen to the recording. The CS rep and the supervisor I spoke too never mentioned that it was removed because of the possibility of the medal being included. They said that you cant list the case.  That further shows Trinton doesnt know what happened or what he is talking about. The supervisor told me the listing was pulled because I was selling the case and that accessories such as cases are not allowed.... She told me she was reading ebay policy word for word (one only she could see) and I asked her to read it back 3 or four times and it was different evey time. At one point she said that I couldnt sell any government issued items. How is that a correct education!?! Who is Trinton? Seems like the head CS guy who does all the training?   Hes dug through my messages (which were there during both listings), searching for a way to may ebay seem right.  He is right , if you read my messages you might think that you would you may be to obtain the medal,  however I never said the medal was for sale, or that i would sell it.  But remember nothing about my messages was ever brought up, by any of the 3 CS reps.  His so called indications that "the medal was included" would been known both instances I called. 

So Trinton are you flat out lying or just uneducated in this matter?

Out of curiosity, why would you include the name of the recipient in the original listing title if you were merely intending to sell the case itself without the medal? To the best of my knowledge, neither my Vietnam Era Purple Heart nor my father's WWII one has our names anywhere on the case.  Perhaps that is the reason for eBay questioning whether or not the medal was included.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 83 of 221
latest reply

OP how much were you charging for just the box? I asked previously and you didn't answer. I'm curious. 

Message 84 of 221
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@3714508518 wrote:

Original title was: Rare WWII Purple Heart Case Id'ed POW LESTER E. HURT JR.

the name helps date it. Listing did not show medal or say it was included. I did not say the  medal was not included

(The new listing Title was: Rare Original WWII Purple Heart Case. Description was : Original and complete, has the lid and interior. Photos only showed the case, no medal was shown.)

After it was pulled,  CS said that if I dropped the POW LESTER E. HURT JR. , I could relist without problem. I was never told to put "medal not included," so it wasnt in the new listing. I also asked that this be put in the notes because i knew what would happen. This was a first tier CS rep so whoever said they dont do that is wrong. Trinton either doesnt know what he is talking about or didnt listen to the recording. The CS rep and the supervisor I spoke too never mentioned that it was removed because of the possibility of the medal being included. They said that you cant list the case.  That further shows Trinton doesnt know what happened or what he is talking about. The supervisor told me the listing was pulled because I was selling the case and that accessories such as cases are not allowed.... She told me she was reading ebay policy word for word (one only she could see) and I asked her to read it back 3 or four times and it was different evey time. At one point she said that I couldnt sell any government issued items. How is that a correct education!?! Who is Trinton? Seems like the head CS guy who does all the training?   Hes dug through my messages (which were there during both listings), searching for a way to may ebay seem right.  He is right , if you read my messages you might think that you would you may be to obtain the medal,  however I never said the medal was for sale, or that i would sell it.  But remember nothing about my messages was ever brought up, by any of the 3 CS reps.  His so called indications that "the medal was included" would been known both instances I called. 

So Trinton are you flat out lying or just uneducated in this matter?

Out of curiosity, why would you include the name of the recipient in the original listing title if you were merely intending to sell the case itself without the medal? To the best of my knowledge, neither my Vietnam Era Purple Heart nor my father's WWII one has our names anywhere on the case.  Perhaps that is the reason for eBay questioning whether or not the medal was included.

That confused me as well which is why I thought the name was also on the box.

Message 85 of 221
latest reply

I'm failing to see the logic of separating the medal from it's box. 

Message 86 of 221
latest reply

The name & POW status is used to date and verify authenticity. You can look it up and get all sorts of info. The name was an issue the first time the listing was removed. It was removed as instructed when relisted

Message 87 of 221
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@kaykeecorp wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

The whole real issue here is that the OP was told by CS that it was OK to relist this, which then resulted in a swift suspension. We've seen this same situation constantly on these boards, year after year, so there's little doubt in my mind that it happened.

The question is why eBay trains CSRs to lead their PAYING CUSTOMERS by the hand directly into serious account violations jeopardizing their livelihoods.

THANK YOU

____________________________________________________________________________________

I have had limited conversations with ebay CS, and imo, they are not trained properly.  They are reading off of scripts that I do not even think they understand.

Yet the results of all this non- training, non- English speaking, and script reading are all very, very unerringly consistent. How can this possibly be?

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 88 of 221
latest reply

Try putting a box in a picture frame. Not everyone keeps thhe medal hidden in the box.

Message 89 of 221
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I'm failing to see the logic of separating the medal from it's box. 

Ebay had it right when they did not allow certain boxes to be sold.

I have seen a heap of problems with the sale of brand name fine jewelry boxes like Tiffany.  People putting a piece of jewelry on a Tiffany box and very ambiguous description leading buyers to believe the jewelrt is as well.

I agee with ebay that out of respect to the receipient Purple Hearts or other medals do not belong here and because of their uniqueness neither do the cases they came in.

Message 90 of 221
latest reply