cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steiners/ecommercebytes revive eBay harassment suit

From today's Boston Globe:

The revised lawsuit included a bevy of evidence that emerged during the sentencings, including an eBay Powerpoint presentation to the US Attorneys Office conceding that actions of its former employees were “clearly criminal” and that former chief executive Devin Wenig’s “tone was improper and unacceptable.” The presentation also said the company did not find evidence that Wenig “directed or knew that criminal acts would occur.”

Baugh, during his sentencing, admitted to concocting the plot, saying he was a former covert operative for the CIA and FBI, where he learned to lie about his work. Baugh apologized for his actions and said he was “completely out of control” due to alcohol abuse....

The revised lawsuit added Wendy Jones, eBay’s former senior vice president of operations and Baugh’s direct supervisor, as a defendant. Jones asked Baugh to deal with complaints about the Steiners’ website and comments on the site, according to the lawsuit, and her failure to properly oversee Baugh was a “proximate cause” of the harassment.

Message 1 of 228
latest reply
227 REPLIES 227

The entire thing reflects the immature BroCulture that seems to permeate the IT corpworld.  Do these people ever grow up?

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 228
latest reply

Cannot read the article without signing up but I did see the first part. This couple was terrorized and tortured? Are they just being dramatic like that national inquirer type site that hates Ebay.

Message 3 of 228
latest reply

"Cannot read the article without signing up but I did see the first part. This couple was terrorized and tortured? Are they just being dramatic like that national inquirer type site that hates Ebay."

A simple inquiry through your favorite search engine using just two words -- "Steiner" and "eBay" -- can tell you that this matter has been going on since August of 2019, when Mrs. Steiner first published an article in a newsletter created by her husband and her.  You may have heard of it:  eCommerceBytes.  All one word, capitalized as shown.    

Some former eBay executives have received prison sentences for their part(s) in the systematic retaliation against the Steiners.   What did the Steiners do?  They said "mean" things, "negative" things about eBay.  And then some bigshots at eBay took offense (very childishly) at an article published in a private newsletter and decided, "Hey, we'll show them !!!"  How did those eBay senior executives (HA!) "show" the Steiners?  They sent funeral wreaths to the Steiners' home.  They sent live cockroaches and spiders.  And more.  

As for this post and the link to a newspaper article dated today, March 2, 2023, some 3 1/2 years after Mrs. Steiner's article, I say this:  More Power to Mr. and Mrs. Steiner, now that they have identified yet another former eBay employee who took part in their systematic harassment.  Hope this Wendy Jones also pays for her part in it with money or time behind bars, if the Steiners can prove in court that she was negligent in supervising one of those [idiots].  

To quote the response from chapeau-noir:  "The entire thing reflects the immature BroCulture that seems to permeate the IT corpworld.  Do these people ever grow up?"

IMO, the key word there is "Bro."  And no, they will never grow up.  Not ever.  

Message 4 of 228
latest reply

Peter Pan syndrome.

Ina's blog has been going for over 20 years and covers a lot more than eBay.  They also actually tell the truth which I guess hurts some fee fees.  I don't bother with the 'comments' section which is mostly useless, but their publishing is why a couple of eBay's less...uh...considered policies were changed (like the 'no returns' language) - simply getting the word out.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 228
latest reply

Article quote: "The filing comes just days after eBay for the first time acknowledged that it is under criminal investigation in the case and has set aside $64 million to cover potential civil and criminal penalties."

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 228
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Corporate Terrorist

Message 8 of 228
latest reply

Wenig knew exactly what was going on. After the story broke it was strange he "resigned" with a 40 million dollar check in his back pocket. We will see if he is the 'Teflon Don" he thinks he is. The truth will come out.

Message 9 of 228
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Peter Pan syndrome.

Ina's blog has been going for over 20 years and covers a lot more than eBay. 

The top 6 posts on Ina's blog today include 5 stories about eBay, all negative.

luckythewinner_0-1677854523662.png

I'm not defending eBay's criminal behavior, but ecommercebytes is focused on eBay and is generally critical.

Message 10 of 228
latest reply

Wow.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 11 of 228
latest reply

"Baugh, during his sentencing, admitted to concocting the plot, saying he was a former covert operative for the CIA and FBI,"

Is this true? It explains a lot, since the 3 letter agencies keep proving their allegiance to China not the USA

Message 12 of 228
latest reply

Wish they put this type of effort into customer service.

Message 13 of 228
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Peter Pan syndrome.

Ina's blog has been going for over 20 years and covers a lot more than eBay. 

The top 6 posts on Ina's blog today include 5 stories about eBay, all negative.

luckythewinner_0-1677854523662.png

I'm not defending eBay's criminal behavior, but ecommercebytes is focused on eBay and is generally critical.

Being critical isn't a crime. All bringing it up does is prove that eBay's response to criticism is completely out of line, unreasonable, and frankly insane. 

Message 14 of 228
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Article quote: "The filing comes just days after eBay for the first time acknowledged that it is under criminal investigation in the case and has set aside $64 million to cover potential civil and criminal penalties."

@wastingtime101 - yep, that was tucked into eBay's most recent 10-K filing on page 105.

https://investors.ebayinc.com/financial-information/sec-filings/sec-filings-details/default.aspx?Fil...

2023-02-24_12-52-49.jpg

Also just yesterday I read something interesting from the DOJ (not specifically related to this case) about giving corporations incentive to clawback compensation (like severance packages) from bad executives in order to avoid paying fines.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/deputy-attorney-general-lisa-monaco-delivers-remarks-american-bar...

2023-03-02_13-30-07.jpg

Makes me wonder if Wenig's ~$57M golden parachute may be clawed back at some point, in addition to whatever civil damages or settlement may occur.

Also Wendy Jones (who somehow inexplicably was allowed to keep her job as SVP Global Operations until December 2020) received an ~$11M exit package and while I have not yet been able to confirm an amount, I believe ex-Communications Chief Steve Wymer also may have gotten some severance despite being fired for cause due to this involvement in the events - so those amounts could possibly be up for grabs as well while eBay negotiates with the US Attorney's Office on the matter.

Message 15 of 228
latest reply