cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge back for cancelled order

Within minutes of a sale, I allowed a buyer to cancel an order due my small delay in shipping.  EBay then issued a charge back to me and ask for my credit card information,  even though I never received any money?  Seems it would have too easy just to cancel the whole transaction?  What's going on?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You need a backup payment method to refund.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/setting-changing-payment-method-fees-selling...

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I think you need to let the "process" complete itself.

The refund is in 'real-time', whereas the sale is still in the 2-3 day processing cycle (assuming you are past the held funds cycle). So, you have to cover the refund until the funds become "available" and are credited to your account.

I thought they usually just debited your attached funding source (bank account)

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@tck210 wrote:

What's going on?

The original payment and the cancellation are processed as separate transactions. You front the money for the buyer's refund and when the original payment clears you're reimbursed so it all balances out to zero in the end. But yeah, you have to cover the costs upfront.

To be clear, there is no chargeback involved. A "chargeback" is when a buyer disputes a payment with their financial institution. It's a very different beast.

Your situation is eBay asking you for a payment method to cover seller fees.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. 

That was my thought also.  I have current funds on hold (for other items) that could be tapped.    I guess will all wash out in the end.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thanks, but that seems a seperate issue.  As I have current funds on hold that could be debited.  (for a payment I never received)

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@tck210 wrote:

Thanks, but that seems a seperate issue.  As I have current funds on hold that could be debited.  (for a payment I never received)

Your fees and other selling costs are automatically deducted from your sales proceeds. However, you’ll need to set up a valid payment method to cover your selling costs in case your sales proceeds are insufficient. A valid payment method includes a debit or credit card, or a linked payout bank account.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

If you sell something for a 50 dollars and the buyer pays and then you cancel,  ebay will refund the entire amount including the fees charged EXCEPT for the 30 cents.  So if you do not have those 30 cents in the account from other sales, ebay needs to get that money from your backup source.   That is why you need to have a credit card on file.   A full refund is NEVER a full refund because of those 30 cents.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* 

The $0.30 is credited back to the seller on cancellations and buyer remorse returns. eBay keeps it it on not as described returns.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

looking at your profile and reading the odd issue, I have to wonder if this is a new scam?

You should have your account information already established with eBay in order to sell, receive funds, & buy. I don't understand why the request for your C.C.?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply