cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPRING SELLER UPDATE has arrived

I just read the important news over on 

ecommercebytes

Many changes - new store tiers - stricter return policies - lots more.

Your thoughts??

Message 1 of 215
latest reply
214 REPLIES 214

Re: SPRING SELLER UPDATE has arrived

I'm interested in which sites you are having daily sales from?  I have tried a few and have had no luck 😞

Message 196 of 215
latest reply

but you can issue partial refund
Message 197 of 215
latest reply

some sellers count on few returns,but not so on EBAY

Message 198 of 215
latest reply

The new ebay UA is out also.

Of course, anyone else who sends out an updated UA highlights the changes. Does ebay? Nooooooooooooooooooooo

What the hell does this mean? what are they talking about? Associate how what by what process? Good grief!
Message 200 of 215
latest reply

Man, I haven't sold in a year or two. Ebay just wore me out with the constant changes. I was happy as heck the day a CL buyer came and bought the last of my packing supplies. But I got the new user agreement today and came here to see what it was about. Thank the good heavens I got out when I did. 

I have to say, two days ago, I purchased a $500 Italian clock. I had the devil of a time tracking down the one I wanted. I found one on Ebay.co.uk and finally found another for about $50 more via an Italian website. I paid the extra $50 just for the sheer joy of not having the aggravation of dealing with anything Ebay.

I wish you all much luck dealing with this, but viewing it from the other side of the telescope now, I just feel sooo darn much better it's all behind me!

Message 201 of 215
latest reply

Straw that broke the back. 10% is not worth hassle of TRS anymore. All 600 of my listings will be changed to no returns. Let it fall where it will. EBay was quiet for several years. Dropping the hammer on sellers and spinning it that they are helping us.

Message 202 of 215
latest reply

It seems in trying to solve one problem, ebay creates two more.

They didn't solve any problem, and created more.

The problem was (and still is), eBay can't tell if the SNAD claim was really a SNAD item, or if it's a remorse return where the buyer is claiming SNAD to get Free Return Shipping or over-ride No Returns (maybe why they linked it to Free Returns), or if it's just an outright scam (rental, return a rock, cannibalize it for a needed part, etc.).

Now, there's a new problem.  eBay can't tell if the seller withholding part of the refund is because it's open-box return, it's now used, it's just a scam, or whatever else (and if that's actually true, or not actually true).  

When eBay took away the ability for sellers to neg. buyers who engaged in fraud, eBay gave those buyers cover.  That certainly was not helpful in reducing fraud. 

Now, you have a situation where eBay has no idea what happened going in BOTH directions.  And now, sellers who engage in fraud are going to be given cover too... just enroll in Free Returns, and eBay will scrub the neg. for the seller.  That is even more unhelpful for reducing fraud. 

There won't be any red donuts for anyone involved!  Sweep that fraud under the rug, if no one can see it, it didn't happen, right?  Less red donuts for sellers = better sellers.  This will improve eBay's reputation immensely.

Or will it?

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 203 of 215
latest reply

I completely agree.  Remember I said TRY--I didn't say it was successful.

As a seller, I had pretty much settled in with my fraud exposure but I'm certainly not willing to do the same as a buyer too. 

Message 204 of 215
latest reply

@fern*woodwrote:

@ted_200

Thanks Ted for those links, and I also verified this on the update board.  What are others feelings on this?

I'm a seller, but personally, I've seen too many other sellers willing to take the low road when the option is available.   It seems in trying to solve one problem, ebay creates two more.

I will think twice about buying from a seller offering free returns, since they are allowed to pay a partial refund even on SNADs.    I was told the MBG hasn't changed, but this loophole seems to gut that policy in my opinion.   Sure a buyer can appeal to ebay, and hope they refund the difference, but that's not what I want to deal with if I receive a not as described item. 

This was the response I received:

"if you offer a free return, you can issue a partial refund if the item is returned used or damaged for either a remorse or 'item not as described' return."

eBay seller protections

Starting June 1, 2018, when you offer free returns, you'll have greater control to manage your business, and you can decide to issue partial refunds to buyers. For example, if a buyer uses or damages an item and returns it, you can decide to issue a partial refund and we'll take it from there. If a buyer escalates a case, we'll take care of it for you so you can focus on your business. Plus, we'll protect your reputation from any negative feedback.

There really is no Seller protection, yeah you can (decide) to issue a partial, but if you do we are going to punished you:

2018 Spring Seller Update:  New seller metrics

When you sell an item and the buyer notifies you that they have not received their item, or that it was not as described, your seller performance standard rating may be affected if you do not resolve the buyer request in a timely manner. Starting in June 2018, we will provide you with additional visibility into the status of your buyers’ after-sale requests in Seller Hub, which will help you identify any listings that aren’t meeting buyer expectations. The metrics will also show how often you receive these requests compared to sellers of similar items and circumstances. Low rates of after-sale requests can help improve your listings visibility.

Sellers are in a lose, lose, lose position.   Sellers will feel the pain one way or the other if they do not give back 100% of the original purchase price, refund 100 % of original shipping, if you offer free shipping, and pay 100% of return shipping.   

Even those Sellers who give up their TRS+ status ------by not offering Free Returns, they too will be punished for standing their ground on buyers false claims of SNADS.  So once again sellers are in a lose, lose, lose postion.   

(These are the facts and sellers need to really understand just how this will impact their selling abilities/ livelyhood.)  In my opinion, it is just too one-sided. 

Message 205 of 215
latest reply

Really don't think visibility is going to matter  anymore after they switch to the "buy box" product based site , if your not the lowest price on most items, your visibility is going to be low anyway

Message 206 of 215
latest reply

@fern*woodwrote:

30 day free returns required for TRS.slight_frown

TRS+, not TRS

"

• When you offer free returns you’ll be able to offer a partial refund if a returned item has been used or damaged, and eBay will protect you."

But at least they are addressing the problem of when a buyer sends back a rock instead of the $2000 widget

Message 207 of 215
latest reply

@baantiqueswrote:

@fern*woodwrote:

30 day free returns required for TRS.slight_frown

TRS+, not TRS

"

• When you offer free returns you’ll be able to offer a partial refund if a returned item has been used or damaged, and eBay will protect you."

But at least they are addressing the problem of when a buyer sends back a rock instead of the $2000 widget

Feels more like ebay is playing whack a mole to me.  For every seller it protects (in your example the seller would still be out $1000.)  they now throw honest buyers under the bus with dishonest sellers sending a partial when it wasn't justified.  I won't be so trusting to buy now when a seller offers free returns.  This new rule guts the MBG protection.

I've never returned an item for remorse, but I have needed the MBG and don't wish that to be a battle if I need to return.

Message 208 of 215
latest reply

There are a lot of questions asked on the Spring Update discussion boards that never got an answer.

Those members have concerns and fears that deserve to be addressed.

Shame on eBay for abandoning those boards without having the decency to respond to those members.  

Message 209 of 215
latest reply

You weren't really expecting questions to be answered were you?

Message 210 of 215
latest reply