cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPRING SELLER UPDATE has arrived

I just read the important news over on 

ecommercebytes

Many changes - new store tiers - stricter return policies - lots more.

Your thoughts??

Message 1 of 215
latest reply
214 REPLIES 214

Re: SPRING SELLER UPDATE has arrived

We have been doing the 30 day returns for a while now.   Most cases get fixed in no time anyway.  Its not that bad its been ok.   But there are some that wait until the very last second to do the return.  Its hard not to get frustrated.   The ones that do wait until the jast second we just block and dont deal with anymore.   Best regards

Message 76 of 215
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@daneiacwrote:

will non-store sellers still get 50 free listings?

Yes.

But the new "Starter" level of Store subscription costs just $5 per month if you sign up for a full year, and it includes 100 free insertions plus access to tools like vacation settings and Markdown Manager.  

It doesn't include a coupon for eBay-branded shiping supplies, but that's not the great deal that it used to be since they dropped most of the box sizes and switched to ugly designs.

This starter store is actually quite tempting as a 2nd store.  I could maintain one store as TRSP and the other for just TRS heavy items.    I don't care about the quarterly shipping coupon.  I've given away 2 already.  A couple of people even turned me down when I offered it to them directly 😃

I'm just not sure I can keep track of that many IDs. 

- Suzanne -
Message 77 of 215
latest reply

@ted_200wrote:

Why would you use catalog for used, vintage or OOAK for the catalog?  If anyone else used the picture, it would be a SNAD in the making.  Does the catalog drive visibility in some way that I am not aware of?

Because the CEO just said "product based shopping" is going to be the only way to shop here? 

Smiley Sad

Message 78 of 215
latest reply

@scga912wrote:   This starter store is actually quite tempting as a 2nd store.  I could maintain one store as TRSP and the other for just TRS heavy items.    ... 

And also at the other end of the shipping spectrum, for sellers who want to ship items that can be mailed as letters or flats (AKA Large envelopes), which don't include tracking and thus undermine their eligibilty for TRS status.

Keeping track of multiple selling IDs isn't as complicated as it sounds.  I have 4, for various categories of stuff, though they're never all active at the same time.

Message 79 of 215
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@scga912wrote:   This starter store is actually quite tempting as a 2nd store.  I could maintain one store as TRSP and the other for just TRS heavy items.    ... 

And also at the other end of the shipping spectrum, for sellers who want to ship items that can be mailed as letters or flats (AKA Large envelopes), which don't include tracking and thus undermine their eligibilty for TRS status.

Keeping track of multiple selling IDs isn't as complicated as it sounds.  I have 4, for various categories of stuff, though they're never all active at the same time.

You're schmarter and betterer than me.  3 might send me over the edge  hahaha

- Suzanne -
Message 80 of 215
latest reply

Regarding the rollout of the catalog:

-How complete is this catalog? What is Ebay's data source.

-If a standardized item (with a UPC, GTIN, etc) is not found in their catalog, will we be able to add to the catalog?

-If so, how will Ebay prevent the casserole of garbage and duplicated catalog listings that The River seems to be plagued by? 

-To what extent will sellers be able to edit catalog entries? This could be an issue where one seller incorrectly changes a catalog entry, it is published, and now all sellers have the potential for SNAD.

Message 81 of 215
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

@lgustafwrote:

I'm a shoe and apparel seller. Does this mean that I will have to pay for return shipping on an item that simply doesn't fit? If so, I will just let my TRS Status expire. Any discount I get in commissions will be more than eaten up by coming out of pocket in shipping on returns.   

No. 30 day free returns is only a requirement for TRS-plus. 

I'm TRS-Plus ... and I have been offering 60-day returns - buyer pays return shipping since 5/25/17.

Before that I offered 30-day returns - buyer pays shipping.

Not once since I have been a member (on my selling ID, since 2011) have I ever had a return, nor have any of my buyers ever opened SNADs or any other cases.   I have also never had to make any partial refunds.   Everyone who has left me feedback has had wonderful things to say about their experiences.   This can be verified by eBay who most likely knows all of our IDs (I only have this one and my selling ID). 

The costume jewelry I sell now is still pretty much the same as what I sold years ago.   I sell jewelry sets Auction Style beginning at $6.99 that sell for that or a dollar ot 2 more.  My shipping is almost always $2.92 for 6 ounces.   I ship everything in a nice gold foil gift box purchased here on eBay (100 boxes at a time).   I buy brown bubble mailers, bubble wrap and scotch tape at Sam's Club.   I never raise the price of shipping to include any of my costs.  

Nothing much has changed over the years except now I no longer sell high $ jewelry, or gold or silver, like I did when eBay was a great place to buy.  Those times back then were when I NEVER worried that someone might open a case and then return a rock to me.   I never even heard of that until I started reading here.  And now I read about it here almost every week.

I don't sell on eBay to pay bills, thankfully. 

I sell because .... when my dad was alive back the late 90's, we were thinking of maybe one day opening up a small Thrift Store.   After he passed away in 2002 I was devastated and didn't want to do anything.   My brain was paralyzed for many sad years.   Then someone encouraged me to sell everything on eBay and for the first time starting in 2011, I started to live again because eBay made me very happy.  My buyers were (and still are) wonderful.  I made lots of eBay friends.  

If I decide to keep my TRS badge and elect to offer 30 day FREE RETURNS, and all of a sudden I start getting SNADs or requests to return items .... most likely that will be the end of eBay for me.

I wish everyone the very best.  

Message 82 of 215
latest reply

Regarding the rollout of the catalog:

-How complete is this catalog? What is Ebay's data source.

It's cobbled together from multiple sources, including crowd-sourced data entered by eBay sellers themselves.  It's very incomplete.

-If a standardized item (with a UPC, GTIN, etc) is not found in their catalog, will we be able to add to the catalog?

Apparently so.  eBay sellers have been adding products to it in my category since Day 1 (only special sellers, I guess, because I've never seen any way for ME to add to it... although they're now saying all sellers will be able to), so there's a lot of duplication, and a lot of entries that aren't for any "product" at all... "Pile of 50 Coins", "Random 1 Oz. Silver Bullion Bar", "American Gold Eagle, Date Our Choice" etc.

-If so, how will Ebay prevent the casserole of garbage and duplicated catalog listings that The River seems to be plagued by? 

They won't.  They will make a bigger casserole than Amazon!

-To what extent will sellers be able to edit catalog entries? This could be an issue where one seller incorrectly changes a catalog entry, it is published, and now all sellers have the potential for SNAD.

None, I suspect.  Just make another entry.  In my category there are 3 or more entries for the same exact item... some more complete than others, and at least 2 of them are likely assigned to the WRONG CATEGORY, which cannot be changed either. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 83 of 215
latest reply

The costume jewelry I sell now is still pretty much the same as what I sold years ago.

Wow.  Creating catalog pages for that stuff for eBay sounds like lifetime job security... I hope they're paying well!

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 84 of 215
latest reply

Well whaddaya know?  The threads leading up to this prove the sky actually was falling...

Joe

Message 85 of 215
latest reply

So with all of these major shifts in how we do business on eBay coming this year and early in 2019 one has to wonder how many sellers will be shifted right off the site and perhaps into bankruptcy as their listings disappear into the blue nowhere, where nobody will see them, and the Buy Boxes are dominated by 99¢ Buy It Now with Free Shipping items.  

I'm still trying to get my head around the eBay will reprice your item to what eBay thinks it will sell for mentioned on ecommercebytes a week or so ago.  How the heck is that going to work?

Message 86 of 215
latest reply

Simplified Returns

Streamlined return policy options, and a 30-day free returns requirement for Top Rated Plus benefits.

• Starting in May 2018, we will reduce the number of returns policies.
  • Starting June 1, 2018, Top Rated sellers will be required to offer 30-day free returns to be eligible to receive the Top Rated Plus discount and badge. Some category exceptions apply.

This is a deal breaker.    Top Rate Seller Status is no longer something I can afford to be part of.   One, (1) return can eat up 4-5 sales when you factor in the orignal and return shipping cost and not to mention you will also be giving back the purchase price.   

eBay is painting themselves and sellers into into a corner.   I am assuming this includes returns for  "any" reason.   In summary, your fees (the cost of doing business here ) has now tripled,  you will be losing money almost as fast as it will be coming in.

For those sellers who want to remain Top Rated Sellers you will even more need to pick out carefully your items  to sell.   No more items that  are costly to ship, (first class shipping only.)   eBay will soon see the buyer's choice of product  will dwelled down to peanuts.   Peanuts only for sale.   With the sharp increase in shipping cost, this is a bad decision. 

Free return promote reckless disregard for making informed decisions when buying----it always will be on the seller's dime, so who cares. 

Message 87 of 215
latest reply

@tweetystwadeswrote:

@fern*woodwrote:

@fern*woodwrote:

30 day free returns required for TRS.slight_frown

I should have typed TRSP. 

I'm assuming we can still be TRS without offering free returns and retain the meager shipping discount?

I am wondering the same thing. The TRSP isn't worth anything anymore, not going to lose money to try and maintain.  

I've been a TRS for a long time, but never was willing to do what was necessary to be TRSP.  I for sure will not be, now.

Message 88 of 215
latest reply

My thoughts? Adapt to EBAY new format or dont it wont matter to me or EBAY. Sales here are slim to none lately so it doesnt make much difference. Meanwhile other sites where I sell are very active I sell at least one item a day.  I cant even list everything I want to sell here the cost is too prohibitive to pay monthly for items that just dont sell. The traffic just isnt here anymore.  I maintain free listings here and thats it and limited inventory and leave the serious selling to other sites.  I am praying for ebay miracle reversal of fortune but I am not counting on it. Neither should you.

Message 89 of 215
latest reply

No one makes enough margin to cover free returns after the recent usps shipping rate increase. I'm offering returns. I won't in the future.
Message 90 of 215
latest reply