cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rules regarding charity donations

I have been selling since 2001 which I believe makes me a long time seller.  Since then I have seen my profits going down either from raises in percentages of fees on sales, taxes on sales over $600 (is it even worth selling?)  and now ebay is going to automatically take out money for Charities!  This is outrageous.  If I want to give to a charity, I will do it myself.  I don't need ebay running my life.  Just when I think that selling on ebay can't get more outrageous, they come up with a new gimmick!  Does anyone else feel the same way?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: New rules regarding charity donations

1st; the $600 deal has been an IRS requirement (you are to report ALL additional income- then write off as needed if you can)

2nd; where did you read/hear that? (about charity?)

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Deep breath.  I think this is just a misunderstanding.  As @stainlessenginecovers said, the $600 is the minimum threshold by the IRS a Federal entity that requires Ebay and all other money processer by LAW to issue a 1099K if any seller hits that much money processed through them by the end of 2023.  

Ebay has no ability to Tax you on anything.  If you are charged a tax for something, it would be because your state has required Ebay BY LAW to do so.

For those that CHOOSE to donate to Charities, it is better having Ebay deduct it than going through the Giving Fund [the old program] which keeps a percentage of what you donate.  No one on Ebay has to donate to a Charity, but it is an option that all sellers have if they want to use it.  Not sure why that should be an issue.

Ebay has always deducted the amount a Seller has committed to donate to the Charity of their Choice and turn it over to the Giving Fund.  What changed or what do you think has changed that has you so upset?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/New-rules-regarding-charity-donations/m-p/34049598#M2293912

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Donations to charities are not mandatory, you either misunderstood or have been misinformed. Best of luck to you....

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You have always ONLY had to pay taxes on PROFITS, not revenue. Having a piece of paper makes no difference in your reporting requirements.

I'm beginning to think this complaint is just a dodge to justify tax avoidance in the past.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It seems you have misunderstandings about both these points.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Value Added has a explanation on the charity thing here:

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-for-charity-changes-trouble-seller-refunds/

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

HOW DO I NOT CONTRIBUTE TO CHARITY WHEN LISTING AN ITEM ON EBAY ? I JUST LISTED AN ITEM AND IT SEEMED AS THOUGH I WAS REQUIRED TO DO SO . DO I CONTRIBUTE AFTER THE SALE IS FINAL ? THANKS  PS THEY HAVE YA COMMIN & GOIN GRRRRRRR

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You go into your listing and at the very bottom is the Charity button. Use the edit function to turn off anything that might be on there by leaving everything blank. You can also change donations in bulk edit. Just choose your listings, and use the bulk edit to remove  or add your charity info. It's very easy. Hopefully the screenshots help. 

Charity.pngCharity 2.pngCharity 3.png

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply