cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New return policy

I am an Ebay seller and have been for a few years now. As a policy, I do not accept returns BUT in the last few months Ebay is FORCING me to accept returns & give full refunds including shipping. That process leaves me in the RED. I can't recoup the shipping that I am out of pocket both ways! How are other people managing this?

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

New return policy

All sellers have to honor the MBG because the bottom line is no returns does not mean "no refunds" 

It would just be wise to start accepting returns and to provide the return label as well.  That way if a buyer is not being honest and doesn't ship the item back to you, they won't get a refund.  This is the way it is, like it or not.  Have a great day.  Keep selling. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

New return policy

Not sure how long eBay's Money Back Guarantee has been in effect, but it is not new by any means.

If/when a buyer opens an item not as described case, the seller is required to send him a prepaid return label and to refund in full upon receipt of that return.  

Your no returns policy has no standing in the face of the MBG.  I am puzzled by the fact that a seller with your experience hasn't encountered this before now.  Have you not had any NAD cases before this? 

As to how others are managing this, I have not sold for awhile so I'll leave it up to current sellers to come along  and offer tips and ideas.  Probably some build any potential expenses like this into the price of the items they sell.  

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

By not selling here anymore. The changes last year were the last straw. I still have to check my account regularly because ebay will not close it. No reason. I owe nothing, they owe me nothing, no bad reports, etc. but they will not close it. I am selling more at much higher prices without all the glitches and scam issues elsewhere.  

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

You do not have a choice but to accept returns when the buyer opens a INAD (item not as described) claim. Ebay has a money back guarantee and will refund on your behalf if you refuse a return. 

I just accept the return and then when the item is returned, issue a refund and then relist. It's all any seller can do.  If you refuse the return, the buyer is refunded and they get to keep the item. 

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

All sellers have to honor the MBG because the bottom line is no returns does not mean "no refunds" 

It would just be wise to start accepting returns and to provide the return label as well.  That way if a buyer is not being honest and doesn't ship the item back to you, they won't get a refund.  This is the way it is, like it or not.  Have a great day.  Keep selling. 

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

There's a term for how sellers recoup the cost of returns............Cookie jar insurance...

Figure the returns costs and then allocate a per item cost...............i.e. returns cost you $100  a year.......you sell 400 items a year.........add 25c to the price of each item..........

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

In business, you don't look at each/every transaction. Average it across all transactions, monthly or annual basis. Then you either just 

1.) Raise prices to cover

2.) Do the 'cookie jar' savings as noted by dhbooks

3.) Just eat it as cost of doing business (This is retail, B&M stores have shrink (loss) and do inventory once a year to determine that loss (1% of $100k a year in sales equals $1000 = $82 a month, $21 a week) 

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

I definitely relate.  One return basically wipes out about 2 months worth that I do on here.  But as the others, the ebay buyer MBG requires you to do that under any and all circumstances.  As was said, "no returns" doesn't mean "no refunds".  Unfortunately as some suggest, you really can't raise prices a lot of times because competitors don't.  I've remarked several times that I can sell some items at cost and still have 40 competitors selling cheaper (mainly not knowing what their fees is - buyers are only going to see  prices asked).  All you can do is determine what you are going to do - either find greener pastures or cope.

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

Hi @nderick1 ,

Unfortunately the "No returns accepted" setting does not mean a Seller can force a Buyer to keep an item.  eBay has the INAD (Item not as described) claim process that forces a Seller to pay the return shipping ... they have had that for years.  If it were my site I would get rid of that "No returns accepted" setting.

I use Free Returns on all of my listings meaning I agree to pay the return shipping if an item is returned through eBay.  That setting also gives a Seller the ability to withhold the Buyer's original shipping (if it was a false INAD or Remorse return) and up to 50% of the item cost if it is returned in a different condition then how it was sold, like the broke it, forgot to include everything, it was NIB and they opened it, etc).

The Free Returns also automatically blocks or removes less then Positive Feedback from the Buyer.

The Seller would need to Report the Buyer if they abuse the return process.

Selling on eBay or other internet sites is Retail sales and Returns are part of doing business.  If your business model can not accept an occasional return then you need to increase prices to cover an occasional return.

Regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

@nderick1 wrote:

How are other people managing this?

First, your policy of accepting no returns is meaningless when selling on Ebay.  Why Ebay cons sellers into thinking that is a valid option is beyond me.  Second, I tend to avoid selling clothing.  When selling clothing online, buyers, and Ebay, expect no question returns for any reason.  We are all Nordstrom as no question returns on clothing predate the internet.  Your business model needs to anticipate that fact.  Third, I mostly sell items where my cost is so low that it  almost always makes more business sense to simply abandon the item than to pay for a return.  Over the past 10 years I can only recall a single return request that I paid for, a small first class package item that I promptly resold.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

I have had very few cases of unhappy customers by listing things honestly showing an & all flaws. If I missed something, I am happy to refund but if the item is exactly as described, then I have a problem.

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

I abandoned the 'no returns' years ago when I realised it was more trouble than it was worth.  I do 30-day buyer pays returns - I feel it helps with trust value to stand behind my products.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

So, where are you selling now?

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

Very helpful, thank you!

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

New return policy

@nderick1 

Give good descriptions, photo and describe any defects.

One of your butterfly images show a broken tip, but there's nothing said in the description about it.

Have a great day.
Message 15 of 44
latest reply