cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Policy starting on 11.12.2023 Bad Buyer Experience why all this?

Dear eBay seller,

Starting from December 11, 2023, eBay will launch a new service standard policy i.e., Bad Buyer Experience (“BBE”) Rate. We request you to please visit the policy page for the detailed information.

The sellers whose BBE rate is much higher than the peer market average may be subject to a range of actions including, but not limited to, administratively ending or removing listings, adjusting selling limits, holding the payment, enforcing buying or selling restrictions, or suspending the relevant accounts.

Your account will be evaluated each Wednesday. Once the policy is launched, the sellers are requested to refer their Seller Dashboard to check the performance of their respective sellers account.

Thanks,

eBay

What is point of this new policies? If seller have more than 99% positive feedback why all this? If buyer love seller why some metric needed to decide for selling limits or restrictions.

By the way I am 10 years here, have last 3 months restriction because INR rate on USA and Canada because post was late in post strike last year. Even should be protected by policy in this cases ebay teammates in 90% dont even know to look tracking, I need to appeal 2-3 times and to explain where to click, they dont know their own policies, so why all this?

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: New Policy starting on 11.12.2023 Bad Buyer Experience why all this?

These policies do not say that they apply to Southeastern Asia sellers only. They were originally applied to Southeastern Asia sellers when they first started, but the INR policy that was implemented last July applies to sellers from other regions as well. The threads that were started here, on the eBay.com community about the INR policy, were from sellers in other regions who sold their items on eBay.com. Many of those sellers were not in Southeast Asia, by the strict definition. I remember a lot of sellers from India and Pakistan.

The policies, as written, do not specify what sellers they apply to. BUT, they are posted on eBay's website www.export.ebay.com, which is for international sellers as I described above. That's why it says "export" in the URL, because international sellers are exporting their items when they are sold. It's not just sellers who list on eBay.com or sell to the USA, though. The polices on that website sometimes mention sales to Europe, for example.

I really wish that eBay would make these policies more explicit, but that's probably a lost hope. They write their policies to protect eBay from liability. Not to make it easy for sellers, or protect sellers.

Message 76 of 93
latest reply

Yeah ur right, Contacted them again and this is the answer i got:

"The bad buyer experience rate indeed only applies to Southeast Asia. However, some sellers outside of Southeast Asia are randomly picked as a test to see if the new policy can applied to their area.
Upon checking on my resources, the bad buyer experience rate indeed only applies to Southeast Asia. However, some sellers outside of Southeast Asia are randomly picked as a test to see if the new policy can applied to their area.

The policy only applies to sellers who have received the notification on their messages, please check if you received one. If you have indeed received a notification, then the policy applies to your account.

The policy should apply to sellers who have received the message. Since this is the case, please refer to the link that we have given as a guide to the policy.

If it has been found that the bad buyer experience policy is not applicable on your site during the testing phase, eBay will revoke the policy on your area.

However, there is always the chance that your account will be removed from the testing if more than the allotted sellers are chosen on your area."

So yeah, seems applied to Southeast Asia, but also applied to some random people as well.
btw, I never had any problems with buyers and always was in good standing (above standart) with zero returns, INAD cases. So it seems like they really choose accounts randomly

Message 77 of 93
latest reply

Thanks for that information. That/those response(s) do seem to fit the facts that we have, at this point.

Randomly adding sellers from outside the intended region seems like a very haphazard and illogical way to proceed. There's no way that useful, actionable data could be acquired from such a haphazard approach. But, unfortunately, eBay has often made illogical decisions in the past, so I shouldn't expect anything else.

Message 78 of 93
latest reply

knowing ebay they can simply "change their mind" and at the last moment apply this rule to everyone or vice-versa: will aplly it to one single country or one ebay site (UK, DE, COM or other) only...  

Message 79 of 93
latest reply

The big issue is that they are going to start damaging our accounts for things that are beyond our control.

They also know these things are beyond our control and that its unreasonable to blzme us for them.

Thats why this is classified as unnecessarily adversarial and punitive behavior towards sellers.

Message 80 of 93
latest reply

The policy is deranged and should NOT exist at all. Whoever designed this psychotic policy is morally bankrupt at best.

Please explain to me the logic of punishing sellers based on the opinions of buyers. As it stands, anytime a buyer claims an item is not as described, ebay just takes their word for it and sellers have no way to defend themselves at all. 

I offer free 30 day returns, yet buyers still lie about the reasons for their returns anyway.

ebay is now stating they're going to punish sellers for having too many INR's, yet sellers have NO control over the garbage delivery estimates ebay feeds buyers. ebay ignores shipping policies entirely, that is a fact.

There is no logic to reprimanding sellers because your buyers are lying, deceitful thieves.

Your executives have nothing but contempt for humanity and it shows.

Message 81 of 93
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

The policy is deranged and should NOT exist at all. Whoever designed this psychotic policy is morally bankrupt at best.

Please explain to me the logic of punishing sellers based on the opinions of buyers. As it stands, anytime a buyer claims an item is not as described, ebay just takes their word for it and sellers have no way to defend themselves at all. 

I offer free 30 day returns, yet buyers still lie about the reasons for their returns anyway.

ebay is now stating they're going to punish sellers for having too many INR's, yet sellers have NO control over the garbage delivery estimates ebay feeds buyers. ebay ignores shipping policies entirely, that is a fact.

There is no logic to reprimanding sellers because your buyers are lying, deceitful thieves.

Your executives have nothing but contempt for humanity and it shows.

Clearly you didn't read through some parts of this thread.  I would say "deranged" was the Congressional Committee charged with The Safe Shopping Act and Informs Act which sought to fine any online unauthorized point of sale/exchange that had trademark terminology in offerings.  As was reported by numerous legal entities it would spell the end of eBay, Mercari, Etsy, Craigslist, FB Marketplace and others standing as a foundation by which other nations can derive from.

That legislation was shot down, it is back, I've watched the public sessions.  Contractors and not "rinky dinks" by any means representing many brands have testified before the Committee.  They cited that counterfeit products sold to consumers online rival in earnings that of the drug trade.  The INFORMS Act was deployed as a mechanism to hopefully cut down on defrauded consumers, according to the Committee its been ineffective and thus they seek to legislate into law a new altered Safe Shopping Act citing Counterfeiting and Consumer Fraud in respect to hard goods commerce.  Its is by no means the only area of fraud, there is Identity, eCommerce, Investment, Lotteries and Sweepstakes and others.  Annual figures are claimed to range in the 200 Billion dollar area at low estimate and some claim closer to one Trillion dur to what goes unreported and is escalating.  Now do you understand magnitude?

eCommerce Hard Goods sit at #2 according to Governments.

Now all that said, talk of protecting sellers from bad buyers ok?  Yes. Problem and its not only a problem at eBay or Amazon or Etsy.  Large Retail has stated 48 Billion Dollars of fraud perpetraited on them in 2023.  That's essentially 5 times eBay's total value as a company and doesn't take into account a global portion of online retailers and small businesses.  At said committee hearings it was said that two in three Americans had been "Taken" online purchasing merchandise through third party venues Amazon at the top of that list and mainly receiving counterfeit product as the largest impactor.

Manufacturers of products refuse to give points of sale the detailed data to spot counterfeit items and hire these external firms to do that work and give them the data.  Those firms have developed automated software that does just that and of course don't wish either give Amazon, eBay or others such data access, essentially puts them out of business yet they wont say that but its obvious.  Instead the manufacturers cite they dont want said data which is engineering data in the hands of third party venues for fear of misuse and trust.

With me?

Are you saying, "Well sure... Counterfeiting is a problem but its not like a RAGING problem!"

Wrong.  eBay itself in 2022 blocked and removed over 88 Million suspect listings from the site.  Amazon has even bigger problems.  Now we all know the lions share of counterfeiting takes place in China and according to this thread, this "BBE" program is targeted at Southeastern Asia.  It may well roll out to other domains but its LIKELY due to the fact that the US Government and many a nation around the globe want third party online commerce dead.

The FTC reported in 2022, 8.8 Billion Dollars of Internet fraud complaints filed, The FBI has it over 10 Billion, thats the USA only.  2023 will surely be higher again and again, this is whats reported which is surely far less than goes unreported.  Authorities and Governments expend money and resources in the pursuit of these problems and complaints not to mention the impacts on as a WHOLE (sellers/retailers/consumer) economically globally.

On one side of the fence there are third party venues attempting protect you're rights to sell anything online.  On the other side there is Global Governments, Consumer Protection entities, Retailers, Distributorships, Manufacturers and more...  Those entities basically think, "If third party commerce is eliminated or so highly regulated online Counterfeiting, consumer fraud and resources expended in the pursuit thereof are solved."

Government here in the USA wants get the revised Safe Shopping Act into law of the land and that become the basis for other nations to legislate from.  Once made law well, legislators love nothing better than to amend as getting law OFF the books is far far far more formidable to accomplish.  Then they can amend perhaps putting the Trademarks Terms portions back in and fining points of sale or perhaps even sellers.

What's Trademark Terms.  That means if use the word "Topps" for a sport cars, point of sale or you be fined and its not "Topps has to complain," no.  Its law, you cant use it or you break the law.  "Onsies" is a trademark term, "All Wheel Drive" is a trademark term from Subaru as an example.

eBay is not Draconian, eBay is in fact and has been in fact the protector of third party commerce for over 20 years.  eBay doesn't have the luxury that you do flying under the radar selling Kung Fu Panda Bluray DVD.  Surely the rights holder of said content would rather nobody be able sell pre-owned DVD's so they can sell new ones only and cite ancient legislation of First Sale Doctrine.  Even when you sell over at Mercari you do so at literally the luxury of eBay being the #1 defender of third party online commerce.  Mercari and Etsy etc have been able to BE having flown under the wings of what eBay has staved off for over 20 years.

Yes, Amazon's in the mix too.  But there is a difference, Amazon is a retailer and is agile enough to adjust even to this Trademark stuff as they already have arrangements with manufacturers.  They would need all third party product THEY ACCEPT to come in FBA and literally, they'd rule the third party eCommerce roost.  Sellers do what they say or they have no place to sell, just like that.  It's why law firms said Amazon be the big winner if the first incarnation of The Safe Shopping Act had come to be law of the land NOR did Amazon speak out against it.

So why preytel hasn't Mercari, Etsy, eBay made announcements to the user memberships?

I can think of a thousand reasons not to mention "Slapping the Tigers in the mouth."

But sellers here are generally quite DAFT, they dont pay attention to reporting sites be that retail associations, Forbes, other's or for that matter even those revolving around eCommerce of Amazon, eBay, Mercari and others...  No, they sit in a shell and blame eBay for anything they can possibly can wrongfully so.

That's the truth whether you choose believe it or not.  I do pay attention, I read everyday.  I dont read everyday based on my personal sales concerns.  I read everyday because I choose to be informed of things of interest to me which includes credible global news, not the tripe that ever so many Americans "Choose to believe" because it fits the narrative they prefer true or false, more often false.  Sheep ain't too bright and that why all it takes is a well trained Dog to move them where the Shepherds please they move.

Ya know I used one time think was cool see my Ex, a Politician charm the sox of anyone and then if she so choose chew em' up like a rabid dog tearing away at a dried Pigs ear.  She bait em' and shoot em' with words as she knew what she was talking about and 99.5% of the general public  (thats 1 in 100) would look like a complete idiot, angry as can be as she prove them wrong in statement, knowledge, mindset, the works.  Be in a room with 250 people and she'd put questions out, there'd always be a handful pipe up loudly...  That gifted her the handful that she needed, be sweet as can be speaking to them in front of that crowd.  They be so proud, happy, and matter of fact on their breadth of thought and statement.  As she ask questions she learn, maybe one of em' knows there stuff, 99.5% time, not at all.  Then she lead em' by question exactly where she want em' and chew em' up in front of the 245 people.  OH THEY GET ANGRY!

But those 245 other people LEARN SOMETHING as now she had audience and they pay attention to her hanging on every word.  Most of the time those handful she'd eat storm out of the room and she make joke of it.

We live in a reactionary culture my friend, and I mean that... "Friend."  Unlike my ex, I dont want anyone angry or despising me.  In fact it was in part why we split among other things.  I consider you a "Friend" and as a friend its important that ALL OF US in this community understand what's really going on and why a company be that Etsy, eBay, Amazon, on and on are not bringing the issues FORWARD to all of us.  It's because people are UNINFORMED not to mention how much damage be done period.  All you have to do friend is look at Social Media, it has become THE destructive power towards America perhaps the greatest nation even to be on this planet.  Yet via social media rip itself apart in ways no generation has ever saw, not even in the days of Mr. Abraham Lincoln and folks eat up like drunken arrogant beasts who all believe THEY ARE PRESIDENT or should be.  They can't discern truth from lie and refuse to take the time to even learn as that interrupts lifestyles and might not be what they care hear or believe.  I guess would could say that's always been the human condition be it spirituality, culturally or even science but the Internet has put all of it on steroids.

Government care less about you being some small seller, that makes you chaff.  Manufacturers care, retailers care as if folks are buying you're stuff ain't buying their new stuff.  I think any of us probably feel the same way if that stuff were our stuff? Yes?  But government does care about expending resources and consumers being taken.  Government does care that retailers are being taken.  Again, they think eliminating these "Freedom points of sale" or regulating them so heavily that many a problem is conquered.  Maybe they are right, maybe wrong, but I can tell you that losses of these types of freedoms dont stop there.  That's the history of the world.  So please, before stomping all over eBay for them having to react to things not of their doing take a moment of pause and understand whats at stake.

Message 82 of 93
latest reply

The metrics inside the policy revision are subjective not a hard measured.

Also, it includes many metrics affected by factors outside the seller control.

Some of these metrics are included in the buyer protection policy, example: arrived damaged: it happens and seller are expected to refund buyer and deal with their shipper for the damage. 

This revision needs more work to be something reliable clear of all personal opinions and is supported by a true review process by eBay CS not the current practice "every buyer claim is granted a refund " 

Message 83 of 93
latest reply

Well said !

Message 84 of 93
latest reply

@desertmodels_uae wrote:

The metrics inside the policy revision are subjective not a hard measured.

Also, it includes many metrics affected by factors outside the seller control.

Some of these metrics are included in the buyer protection policy, example: arrived damaged: it happens and seller are expected to refund buyer and deal with their shipper for the damage. 

This revision needs more work to be something reliable clear of all personal opinions and is supported by a true review process by eBay CS not the current practice "every buyer claim is granted a refund " 

You think this only at ebay?

News for ya', nope.  Examples, my lady bought this Bird House on a stand where the Amazon photo looked quite nice.  Made out of tin, rustic and what arrived was sheer garbage.  The seller wasn't helpful at all, I do mean at all.  So return through Amazon where they provided the label.  She's bought from QVC, didn't like what came, just didn't like it, nothing wrong with it.  They provide the label.  People return things to Walmart everyday because they don't like it or even just need the money back.  She's returned food to local grocery opened because she doesn't like it.  Is there a "Ratings board" for her to put why, if there were many people would just lie if that's what it takes get their money back.

All that aside, even if eBay didn't have such policies Credit Card processor will accept a chargeback and they can lie about the reason for the chargeback.  eBay and Ayden SHIELD YOU from that expense, if you had a merchant account the moment chargeback happens you're out $50 dollars.  That's $25 from you're bank to reserve funds which BETTER BE THERE or you'll get another charge against the account by them and $25 processing fee from you're merchant account provider.  If you choose dispute the chargeback thats another $25 FOR EVERY RESPONSE.  In other words, you write this, consumer then says this, you respond to that another $25.  If you dont respond and accept the chargeback or you loose the dispute  thats recorded and if it happens too much on ratio to competed sales without issues your fees go up.  Its called "The Discount Rate" say its 2.5%, goes up to 2.75% of EVERY transaction.  If you win the dispute you get back the money being held by you're bank, all those fee's you paid are not recoverable.

If something arrives damaged then that's why there is parcel insurance and that doesn't mean they'll pay out.  This is nothing new, was there before the World Wide Web even existed via traditional mail order catalog or magazines.  Again, folks blaming the wrong entities.  Want put blame then place it where it should be which are bad sellers who pack things poorly, bad shippers who handle parcels poorly and banks/financial institutions that run the card processing show.  Then again, when then Auto Repair shop fix the front end of you're car and ends up being a bad fix, falls apart I'm sure be happy as can be that the Bank card affords you to dispute that charge.  Right?

You think eBay sellers are the only sales victims to being defrauded by consumers? No. This past year the sized retailers are saying online that they've lost 48 BILLION DOLLARS to consumer transacting abuses.  That's five times what eBay's Net Worth is. But, that's separate problem. 

Two problems, bad sellers and bad buyers.  Notice, the word "eBay" or "Amazon" or "Mercari" etc are not in the prior sentence.  eBay would like EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION to be perfect and EVERY mechanism they've put in place towards protections strives to do that.  To force those who dont to try harder.

You want a REAL EASY solution to Bad sellers where even "moderate" decent sellers need up their game IN HUGE fashion, require every seller have a merchant account with Adyen (The Card Processor).  Now when send out that "Oops, its got a dent in it" or Book with creased pages because I never looked through the book properly costs $50 right from word go.

Boy howdy sellers be SCREAMING at eBay how unfair that is!!!!  But that's actually the STANDARD.  Every mom and pop shop accepting cards in their little Brick and Mortar store adhere to THAT standard.

Sellers tend think the consumer is always the bad guy/gal and that's simply untrue.  eBay in 2022 actively removed 88 Million questionable listings of prospect counterfeit goods.  That's just eBay searching, that's not what manufacturers even reported.

Ya know people are odd critters, some may go, "Ya know what, I got stolen from buying this fake thing and now I'm going to take someone there!  See how they like it!"

How in the world is that eBay's fault?

I would presume the reason that this "BBE" is said to be Southeastern Asia is due mainly to counterfeit products flooded unto the site, 88 million is a FLOOD.  But that doesn't all just come shipping in from China does it anymore than Fentanyl comes off tiny boats managing to find a port.  There are sellers right here inside the USA, Canada, UK on and on that BUY the stuff and resell it.  Imagine that, American's who buy products to resell that shouldn't be resold or stomp upon other entities rights caring less about anyone else more or less a consumer.

Ever downloaded a movie?  Borrow a DVD movie from a friend or family?  Someplace somebodies loosing money right?

Did you actually create everything you sell with you're own hands?

If you made a widget and I find 10 of your widgets at a yard sale preowned and sell them on here, well, you don't get a dime of that.  In fact, you now have ten people who are not gonna by your new widget at all.  Your out twice!  Furthermore, two of those widgets didn't work right so they called you to complain wanting new widgets.  You say, "Well I cant do that, you didn't buy them from me or any licensed entity selling them."  Ok, now they buy you're competitors widget telling all their friends never buy you're widgets ever!

Happens ALL THE TIME.

How is ANY OF THAT eBay's responsibility?

Well, you want eBay to remove every single widget that is not new and from an authorized seller of you're widgets!  But know what, people are creative, they still find way or try get you're widgets on here.  In fact, you're widget is so cool that its being counterfeited.  Buyers are calling you screaming you're widget is garbage because they bought the counterfeits and want their money back not to mention BLOWING UP in reviews of you're widget online and exploding their mouths on social media.  WHO DO YOU BLAME?

Blame eBay?

Blame the counterfeiters?

Blame Governments?

Blame authorities?

Blame banks?

Blame consumers?

Blame Social Media?

Blame the Internet?

Blame the guy three blocks away who you've no idea is selling the counterfeits too!

This is reality not fiction!

So there is no time since you've shopped online that you never returned anything?  That you never received something that wasn't like what thought it be?

Sure you know what you sent out and you know a customer is scamming you.  But then again, put yourself in eBay's head or the Credit Processors head, how do they know 110% sure you are being scammed and are not the scammer?

I know, its the new handy, 100% effective plug into the USB Port "Portable Lie Detector" where in order for a consumer get money back, return, make claim they must pass it and so must the seller!  Except even if that crazy gizmo were real, well I just have the wife answer.

eBay's authentication services for expensive items, graded cards on and on exist NOT DUE to Consumers and Manufacturers but due to sellers who peddle things some intentionally some because they are daft.

I dont sell sports cards, if I did then I best know enough about sports cards to be able to work at the company eBay has authenticating and grading them otherwise I've no business selling sports cards as collectibles.  That's my train of thought, just like I've got no business knocking on your door offering replace your roof at an astounding price having never done one before but know what, I managed to get 100 pallets of roof shingles at a yard sale for $50.

Message 85 of 93
latest reply

Hello all, 

Please visit this post for clarification on the Bad Buyer Experience policy. We hear your concerns, and we hope this clarification on the topic reduces any confusion.

Message 86 of 93
latest reply

@seller_news_team 

thanks for the info on the other thread...........It's nice to get a response to our problems........Keep up!!!!!

Message 87 of 93
latest reply

Yesturday Asia, today Europe, Tomorow USA, this is called discrimination different rules for different people

Message 88 of 93
latest reply

Not really.

It's about International sellers who sell INTO US & Canada with many INRs possibly due to drop shipping from US retail stores.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 89 of 93
latest reply

Yea i am in the powersports parts field. These inad type of policies are horrible for pretty much anybody on the ebay motors side.  But "for now" this is pretty much the only platform that supports engine/mechanical sales. hoping in the not so distant future there will be another one 😉

Message 90 of 93
latest reply