cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery Boxes ** Grab Bags ** - How specific do you need to be?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sellers are required to identify the content of mystery boxes grab bags but obviously the point is that it's a mystery. How specific do we need to be?

Is it in compliance with eBay policy to say "tools and accessories" or do we have to be more specific like "drill bits, clamps, assorted hammers and wrenches, various tape rolls, etc"?

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Mystery Boxes - How specific do you need to be?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques- Yes, that's what happened here.

I knew mystery boxes were not allowed in the past, but I thought that policy changed after I heard the podcast. When I looked up the policy to make sure my listings would comply I did so thinking these bundles were allowed and that affected the way I interpreted the policy.

I'm glad I asked before putting a marketing plan and these bundles together.

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

Listening to the podcast, I would have come to the same conclusion you did. The stuff about "breaking boxes" for cards and then mystery boxes runs together, so it was very easy to think he was saying we changed the rules for both types of things....but a careful reading of the transcript, plus the current rules, makes it pretty clear that grab bags are still grab bags, and still hemmed in by rules.

Also, a quick look at current ebay listings suggests that not everyone follows those rules LOL

It would be interesting to know if they are working on changing the rules for grab bags....
Message 32 of 42
latest reply

Which makes it super annoying to have your listing opportunities suspended for 3 days like I did. grrrrr.
Message 33 of 42
latest reply

Search for Mysteries box or mystery box under sold listings and you'll see how many are selling.
Message 34 of 42
latest reply

I feel like the Original Poster had the same question I did. It sounds like I can revise my listing if I follow these rules below. Is it ok to use the word Mystery in a grab bag listing?

When listing grab bag listings, sellers need to let buyers know what items are included in the box. Multiple quantities of duplicate items do not need to be disclosed, but sellers must state that at least 1 of each item mentioned is included. For your example using parts and accessories, sellers need to list each unique wrench, clamp, drill bit, hammer, etc. and include any relevant information to that item, such as brand, size, material, etc. Basically, the things that would normally be used to describe an item in a listing would still need to be included in a grab bag. The only things that don't need to be described are the quality, total number (if there are duplicates of the same item), and condition of the items. Everything else should be described in the listing description.
Message 35 of 42
latest reply

First, forget "mystery box" and go with "grab bag."

Second (and no this is not complicated) you need to spell out the types of things they can expect to find.  A grab bag is a mystery but not a total mystery.  No the seller can't sell a box of packing popcorn without disclosing that the category of the grab bag is "shipping/packaging supplies ONLY."

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

I fell for the PCH mystery box once.  It was $20 plus inflated shipping.  I got a bunch of plastic kitchen utensils.  Dud.

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

city satins
I'm pretty sure you had no bids because your items were too expensive. The people who are willing to buy these items are looking for bargains, down and dirty. People who shop that level of luxury fashion usually know what they want.

My first box was removed, but I think update it to relist. I sell a lot of toys online as well as brick and mortar. The mystery boxes are great for action figures, blind bags toys that aren't popular and you only have 1 or 2 in stock.

Plenty of people are interested in buying them. I wish eBay would create much more clear guidelines under a section labeled Mystery/Grab bag items. Much like the previous poster I wish I had gotten more specific feedback on why my item was removed. I think I know where I went wrong, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to fix it, relist it, have it removed again and get suspended again.
Message 38 of 42
latest reply

Toys seem like a good category for that.

The problem I see with all of it is that buyers want a chance to get a deal on a hot item.  Sellers want to dump their lemon inventory.  The trick is to somehow combine the two so that both buyer and seller end up happy.

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

This is how I rewrote my listing and description.  I think I'm following all the guidelines.

First, my apologies for all my replies showing up in the same spot.  I was replying to the wrong area.    Like I said, before I repost anything.  I want a better idea on how to list it.

Title:  Boys (ages 7-10) MYSTERIES BOX NEW sealed toys plush 25 ITEMS FREESHIP

Included are 25 Brand New items, either with tags attached or New in Package.  There are exactly 25 items.  There are no more than 2 duplicate items.

Mini 4th of July Handclapper

2016 Star Wars Action Figure

Playmobil action figure

Krazy Straws

Nightlight

Mini Notebook

10 inch pen

Lite up sticker

Wood Decorating Kit

squeezy grape ball

fidget spinner

Hot Wheels Vehicle

fake insect

Light up clown nose

Sleefs bracelet

light up bracelet

Patriotic themed Pen

Emoji bracelet

Skylanders Booster pack

6 page Sandy Lion sticker book

4 sheet pack Sandy Lion stickers

2 sheet pack Hasbro/designware stickers.

The following characters are found on at least one item

Transformers

Justice League

Spiderman

Star Wars

Wonder Woman

Skylanders

Marvel Avengers

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

Looks good to me only change "Mystery Box" to "Grab Bag."

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

Describe your items and don't mislead your customers or you will have cases opened against you.

Message 42 of 42
latest reply