cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery Boxes ** Grab Bags ** - How specific do you need to be?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sellers are required to identify the content of mystery boxes grab bags but obviously the point is that it's a mystery. How specific do we need to be?

Is it in compliance with eBay policy to say "tools and accessories" or do we have to be more specific like "drill bits, clamps, assorted hammers and wrenches, various tape rolls, etc"?

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Mystery Boxes - How specific do you need to be?

@Anonymous wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, I'm happy to clarify! Mystery item listings aren't allowed. This includes the following:

• Listings that are described as a "mystery item"
  • Listings that don't identify the contents, number, quality, or condition of the items for sale

These listings often confuse people about what is actually for sale, which may result in negative feedback or claims being filed. Sellers can list most items as long as they identify what is for sale and don't describe the listing as a "mystery item."

I was not talking about a "mystery item". I was talking about a "mystery box". For example, a seller could have a mystery box of cosmetics, state that it includes (list of brands) and (list of types of products) without revealing exactly what's inside leaving an element of surprise for the buyer. It looks like this IS permitted but eBay is calling it a "grab bag" in the policy and a "mystery box" on the podcast?

As others have mentioned in this thread, 'grab bag' listings are allowed if the seller:

• Identify all contents; the number, quality, or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified
  • Don't single out anything that "may" be included with significant monetary or collectible value

I'm aware and linked that policy in my OP. If the distinction is in calling it a grab bag vs a mystery box then please revise the term "mystery box" in my OP to "grab bag" and advise on the example provided and how specific one needs to be. I would still like an answer to that original question.

I've reviewed this help page and I'm not seeing the terms grab bag and mystery box used interchangeably. If you can point out the parts of the help page that are not clear then I'll be happy to pass along the feedback. Thanks! 

I suppose my interpretation was incorrect. This is how it read to me, with my interpretation added in red font.

Grab bags / mystery boxes can be listed as long as you follow these rules:

• Identify all contents; the number, quality, or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified
  • Don't single out anything that "may" be included with significant monetary or collectible value

Not allowedNot allowed

Examples of listings and products that are not allowed:

• Mystery items / grab bags where contents aren't identified

brian@ebay 

Hi @Anonymous, sorry for the confusion. Mystery items and mystery boxes mean the same thing. If it's a mystery to the buyer what items are in the box, then it's not allowed.

When listing grab bag listings, sellers need to let buyers know what items are included in the box. Multiple quantities of duplicate items do not need to be disclosed, but sellers must state that at least 1 of each item mentioned is included. For your example using parts and accessories, sellers need to list each unique wrench, clamp, drill bit, hammer, etc. and include any relevant information to that item, such as brand, size, material, etc. Basically, the things that would normally be used to describe an item in a listing would still need to be included in a grab bag. The only things that don't need to be described are the quality, total number (if there are duplicates of the same item), and condition of the items. Everything else should be described in the listing description.

Brian,
Community Team

View Best Answer in original post

Message 23 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

According to the policy that you linked …. "Mystery" boxes are not allowed … "Grab Bag" lots are:

Grab bags can be listed as long as you follow these rules:

Not allowedNot allowed

Examples of listings and products that are not allowed:

• Mystery items where contents aren't identified
penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

I would be more specific to avoid returns.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

From the latest eBay podcast:

Similarly, mystery boxes aren't new, but if you look at a lot of the social activity around eBay, there's influencers who love getting mystery boxes off of eBay and then actually videotaping themselves showcasing what they get. It's a really interesting engaging way to approach a mystery box and it's just sort of people liking the gamification of what they might get from someone else. Again, these categories are constantly evolving because there a reflection of the culture. Our job is to try to stay on top of that and to listen to our sellers and listen to our buyers and understand like how that is evolving and how eBay can be a support and multiplier of that.

Mystery boxes are allowed as long as you identify the contents. Per my first post I want to know how specific we need to be with identification of contents.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it would be good if eBay could clarify this since the policy is vague. They may want to update the policy page as well since they appear to use grab bag and mystery box interchangeably instead of using both terms all the time.

brian@ebay 

@Anonymous 

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Similarly, mystery boxes aren't new, but if you look at a lot of the social activity around eBay, there's influencers who love getting mystery boxes off of eBay and then actually videotaping themselves showcasing what they get. It's a really interesting engaging way to approach a mystery box and it's just sort of people liking the gamification of what they might get from someone else. Again, these categories are constantly evolving because there a reflection of the culture. Our job is to try to stay on top of that and to listen to our sellers and listen to our buyers and understand like how that is evolving and how eBay can be a support and multiplier of that.

Mystery boxes are allowed as long as you identify the contents. Per my first post I want to know how specific we need to be with identification of contents.

Identifying the contents sort of takes the mystery out of a mystery box, doesn't it?

So just what would the purpose be in selling a mystery box if the contents are already known?

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Well that's clear as mud.  eBay policy says you have to identify items in a "mystery" box - thus effectively prohibiting mystery boxes - then has a podcast showing how exciting mystery boxes are?

As for how specific you need to be, apparently only eBay knows, and they aren't telling.  Or if they tell, they may not be telling true.  You are on your own as far as interpretation.

PS:  IMO it's not worth the risk.  Mystery Boxes may work at flea markets, church bazaars, etc., but not so much on eBay.

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Sellers are required to identify the content of mystery boxes, but obviously the point is that it's a mystery. How specific do we need to be?

Is it in compliance with eBay policy to say "tools and accessories" or do we have to be more specific like "drill bits, clamps, assorted hammers and wrenches, various tape rolls, etc"?

I think an important point to make is that on eBay, any buyer can return any item to any seller at any time through use of a "Not As Described" dispute. 

So your question should not just be "Is it compliant?" but also "What are the chances that the buyer will be unhappy and return it?" ... Oh, and removing the good items out of the box before doing so 🙂

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

They need a option for mystery boxes.  I personally like the concept. Never sold anything like that and never plan to. But I do enjoy buying some from occasion.  Of course it has never been profitable or never has the contents been worth more then I have paid. But I guess its the child in us that enjoys the idea of buying a mystery box. For me its more of a entertainment then it is a actual purchase of goods.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:
Well that's clear as mud.  eBay policy says you have to identify items in a "mystery" box - thus effectively prohibiting mystery boxes - then has a podcast showing how exciting mystery boxes are?

That may get reconsidered real fast as soon as one or more "influencers" post videos showing them opening up mystery boxes that are full of just plain junk. If anything, watching them criticize the worthless stuff they're pulling out of the "mystery box" would probably be a lot more entertaining then watching someone gush over neat things, and wondering whether the "exciting" video was simply clickbait advertising for eBay; it would be obvious that the negative video is not. Smiley Wink

I'd say that if the stuff won't sell without being packaged up as a "mystery" box, then donate it instead, and widen your search for items that people will definitely want to buy. If you're afraid that people won't buy it if they know what it is, then maybe it's not worth selling.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@muttlymob wrote:

That may get reconsidered real fast as soon as one or more "influencers" post videos showing them opening up mystery boxes that are full of just plain junk. If anything, watching them criticize the worthless stuff they're pulling out of the "mystery box" would probably be a lot more entertaining then watching someone gush over neat things, and wondering whether the "exciting" video was simply clickbait advertising for eBay; it would be obvious that the negative video is not. Smiley Wink

I'd say that if the stuff won't sell without being packaged up as a "mystery" box, then donate it instead, and widen your search for items that people will definitely want to buy. If you're afraid that people won't buy it if they know what it is, then maybe it's not worth selling.

I've seen videos where the buyer has gotten trash, open bags of candy, broken items, smelly items... The one buyer has opened the mystery boxes repeatedly, as a part of a larger business (can't remember which) and the employer pays for the box... I know I've seen some expensive boxes being opened. I've toyed with the idea of making a loaded box and selling it cheaply … but everyone's taste is different and what I consider a great box of rare items someone else may find it a bunch of worthless junk that they have no interest in....

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Ebay has often been the place to list your junk just before you throw it out on the off chance some sucker will buy it, but at least you had to describe it so buyers know what they are getting. With this mystery box nonsense, you don’t even have to do that. What buyer would throw money away like this?

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Per my first post I want to know how specific we need to be with identification of contents.

This is how specific you need to be:

One pound Nature's Best Bird Seed

One Deluxe Squirrel Away Bird Feeder

One electrified Squirrel Zapper baffle

One double suet cage

Two packages suet cakes

Cost: $25

So, you don't need to specify what's in the bird seed, or what color the bird feeder is, or the diameter of the squirrel baffle, or the color of the suet cage or the ingredients of the suet cakes. Then I can be surprised when I buy it.

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

@creekcoyote wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Identifying the contents sort of takes the mystery out of a mystery box, doesn't it?

So just what would the purpose be in selling a mystery box if the contents are already known?

Why do you think anyone would want to buy a random box of "stuff" and not know what it is? My garage is filled with random stuff, I don't need to be purchasing it.

Cheers, C.

Message 15 of 42
latest reply