cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's been a while coming, but today I raise my shipping prices.

I've eaten 3 USPS price increases, but with the extra ebay fee on top of them I'm going to increase my shipping price by 25%. Simplest way to fix that. Since this particular ID sells in 10 day auctions we are coming up on the new fee implementation as they close. I'll update all new listings and start updating my existing listings without bids starting with the ones furthest from closing.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Thanks for the heads-up.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I got tired of updating flat rates, so I finally switched most listings to calculated to avoid the hassle.  Wastingtime would recommend shipping/business policies, so you might consider that.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Yea, I love it when I get a complaint from a buyer ... "You charge too much for shipping ..."

I have to explain that I DO NOT charge anything for shipping.

The Post Office does, I just have to collect it and pass it on to them.

And that I agree, they do charge US too much.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I have used Calculated for years, so I don't have to deal with updates for USPS twice yearly changes. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for the update...but I'm not entirely sure why you needed to explain it to the community.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

We only use Calculated shipping for almost all our listings (except a few with free shipping, for various reasons).  Never had a problem unless we entered the weight or size wrong at listing.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Well, it initiated a discussion that maybe some newbies can learn from. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@chariot_badges wrote:

Yea, I love it when I get a complaint from a buyer ... "You charge too much for shipping ..."

I get "Why don't you just put a stamp on it instead of charging me $4?" often. 😞

I've also been standing in line at the Post Office waiting to drop packages off (thankfully rarely have to actually go there) and seen many a person literally start crying when they find out that some light gift that is in a huge box is super expensive to ship.   Example, one woman had a stuffed teddy bear she put in a 2'x2'x2' box and were quoted $268.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

Thanks for the update...but I'm not entirely sure why you needed to explain it to the community.

I not entirely sure why you would question why someone would bring up something ebay related for discussion on a ebay discussion board

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Wouldn't it be simpler to use Calculated Shipping and have the price change automatically?

It also allows for destination pricing.

If you find the 12.35% fee on domestic shipping burdensome, you could add a Handling Fee. The buyer does not, I believe, see that as a line item.

Do US sellers not have the option of Calculated Shipping?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

"I've eaten 3 USPS price increases, but with the extra ebay fee on top of them I'm going to increase my shipping price by 25%. Simplest way to fix that. Since this particular ID sells in 10 day auctions we are coming up on the new fee implementation as they close."

I'm kind of surprised nobody has questioned those highlighted words in your post.  

When what the OP refers to as the "extra ebay fee", or "new fee implementation", was announced a week or so ago, there were a few hair-on-fire posts here, virtually screaming and yelling about eBay's "greed."  

Effective on sales beginning on March 15, 2024, eBay's 30 cent per-order fee

-- the fee that is charged at the same time as the Final Value percentage fee (FVF) -- will be raised to 40 cents per-order.  
Unless the total amount paid by the buyer in the transaction is $10.00 or less. 

On those transactions, the per-order fee will remain at only 30 cents.  

Lots of sellers then commented they simply plan to raise their prices by 10 cents or 15, 20, 25 cents. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I've also been standing in line at the Post Office waiting to drop packages off (thankfully rarely have to actually go there) and seen many a person literally start crying when they find out that some light gift that is in a huge box is super expensive to ship.   Example, one woman had a stuffed teddy bear she put in a 2'x2'x2' box

and were quoted $268.

Not sure where she was shipping it from/to but at the post office paying full retail that would not surprise me. Like you I am on the east coast and even using Pirate Ship I get a quote of $254 for the discounted rate for a 2' x 2' x 2' box weighing 3 pounds going from VA to CA. UPS is less than half of that but still pretty high cost. 

What I find even more amazing in this world of everything online that people still stand inline at the post office and pay full retail for shipping. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1709350213615.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1709350235476.pngdbfolks166mt_2-1709350254104.png

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I noticed you utilize the eBay Standard Envelope for most of your shipping. While I am not familiar with the ESE I know the rates are based on the weight and to some extent the size of the package. If you use the ESE does it not calculate shipping based on the dims and weight of the item whether it is 1, 2 or 3 ounces? Are these rates increasing with each USPS  postal fee increase? 

dbfolks166mt_3-1709351219496.png

Can you globally  simply add a handling fee to your items to cover the eBay fees, packing materials and provide a buffer for postage increases? 

Like postage stamps with the ESE the shipping zones of the seller and buyer are irrelevant at least domestically. It does appear you are utilizing calculated shipping and the EIS program for international sales. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

LoL some fun discussion here. Yes I'm incorporating the new ebay fee into my shipping so I can continue to start most of my auctions at 99 cents. No I don't care what the actual shipping cost is.  Yes I know I can just add a handling fee, but I don't. I just moved from $1 per with a cap of $4 to 1.25 with a cap of $5. Most of my coins actually sell for 99 cents so after shipping and fees I was making .70-72 (not including envelope, label, 2x2, baggie, paper, toner and item cost!) Not going to drop that any lower.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply