cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I determine if a sale is eligible for eBay-provided return labels?

I got scammed by someone who purchased a camera lens and wanted to return it.  I tried to purchase the return label through eBay but was not able to do so.  I called eBay and they said they don't know why the sale was not eligible for an eBay-provided return label.    This was a US buyer in Florida and I had no issues purchasing the initial label through eBay.

So I purchased a return label directly from UPS but the buyer claims it does not work.  Of course, it does: you can enter the tracking number on the UPS website and it says "awaiting shipment".  The issue is that eBay says it's up to him to determine if the label works or not.  If he says the label doesn't work then he keeps the lens and gets a full refund.

Obviously, this is a scam.  Well, it's obvious now...

So, how do I know if a sale is eligible for purchasing a return label through eBay so I can prevent this from happening again?

Furthermore, how do I refuse those kinds of transactions?  I can't find anything that seems remotely close to that option.

Thanks

Message 1 of 139
latest reply
138 REPLIES 138

Re: How do I determine if a sale is eligible for eBay-provided return labels?

Have you sent him a USPS label?  Might cost a bit more, but doubt he can claim that one doesn't work......

Message 91 of 139
latest reply

The scam here is that this guy has figured out how to prevent the seller from buying an eBay label.  There was no option to buy a label, as confirmed by eBay over the phone.  I was forced to purchase a label and upload an image.

Message 92 of 139
latest reply

It doesn't matter to eBay if it works.  It only matters to eBay if he says it works.  I can send him 100 valid labels and he's going to say none of them works.

USPS, FedEx, UPS, whatever.  It doesn't matter.  eBay relies on him to determine if it's valid.

Message 93 of 139
latest reply

@amesrg wrote:

The scam here is that this guy has figured out how to prevent the seller from buying an eBay label.  There was no option to buy a label, as confirmed by eBay over the phone.  I was forced to purchase a label and upload an image.

No. The buyer has no way to do that.

Have a nice day.

Message 94 of 139
latest reply

@amesrg wrote:

I understand that, but I’m saying the option in the return you picked may be why the eBay provided label wasn’t possible.  Did you pick the option that stated you would provide a label?  If so, that may be where the problem occurred.  I doubt a buyer has any way to prevent the eBay provided  label if the correct option was chosen to begin with.  If they could, I feel sure we would have read about that happening.

Message 95 of 139
latest reply

Here's what I was able to figure out after researching this for several days:

• If you provide a return label from a source other than eBay, eBay defers to the buyer to determine if it is a valid return label.
  • For domestic transactions where the weight and dimensions of the shipment are known, the seller has no way to know at the time of the sale if the sale is eligible for an eBay return label.
  • International transactions and items that do not specify weight and/or dimensions are not eligible for an eBay return label.

The consequence of the first two bullets is this: if a seller decides that your return labels are not valid then he is refunded and is allowed to keep the item.  It does not matter how much and/or what kind of proof of validity you provide from the carrier, eBay defers to the buyer.

This information is corroborated by eBay phone support, eBay email support and two separate people on the eBay for Business Facebook group.  There was one person on the Facebook group who said eBay will defer to the carrier but eBay would not do that for me, so obviously he was wrong.

Those are the facts, here's some opinion: eBay was extremely weasel-wordy when I was asking them some very simple questions (including the one that is the title of this thread).  I think they have some legal reason that they cannot force a buyer to accept a non-eBay return label, but I can't think of what it is and they don't want to admit it.  The reason they don't want to admit it is there's a huge opportunity for scammers who buy stuff in a way that prevents the seller from acquiring an eBay return label and then refuse the return labels that the seller provides.  They are refunded and get to keep the items.  I think eBay recognizes this loophole - that's why they're so cagey when pressed about it.

Seller beware.

Message 96 of 139
latest reply

"if a seller decides that your return labels are not valid"

supposed to be "if a buyer decides that your return labels are not valid"

Can't edit it...

Message 97 of 139
latest reply

This entire thread is highly suspicious and makes no sense and you seem to be having multiple issues that no one else seems to have experienced.

Probably need a blue to check it out since no one here can see what is going wrong.

Message 98 of 139
latest reply

Based on my experience with ebay, I would not be at all surprised if they delete the thread.

Message 99 of 139
latest reply

Why would they delete it? The boards are monitored by Khoros, not Ebay. Your problem is just another drop in the bucket to Ebay.As long as the posting guidelines are followed, theres no problem.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 100 of 139
latest reply

Ah OK.  Then maybe not.  I don't know who Khoros is or how they relate to eBay.

And by the way, if none of what I'm saying is correct then by all means get someone else involved.  I still have a couple days before my buyer is refunded.

But my comments above represent the information I have received from multiple sources at eBay.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Message 101 of 139
latest reply

As I said, Khoros monitors the boards, any name calling, threats, hate speech, baiting,etc will be deleted with a warning to the poster.I understand you picked your own post as the 'solution',and you certainly have the right to your own opinion in this label problem.Ive been selling here for twenty four years, and I disagree with you,and your reasons on why you couldnt print the label..dont know how others feel about it.Im sure they will join in eventually.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 102 of 139
latest reply

@amesrg wrote:
  •  items that do not specify weight and/or dimensions are not eligible for an eBay return label.

Can you verify the validity of the quoted statement kyle@ebay ? I was under the impression that listings void of weight/dimensions (sellers using flat rate shipping that left those fields blank) can still use eBay-generated return labels because eBay will bill based on category averages.

Is it an accurate assessment that the value of this transaction is what prevented the eBay-generated return label? Items valued at $750+ (includes item+tax+ship) require a signature and I don't think eBay-generated return labels include signature, regardless of item value.

-----

To @amesrg: here's the policy page on return shipping labels:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-for-sellers?id=4703

I didn't read this entire thread so if this was already addressed you can ignore it, but the question was posed a few times about carrier, insurance, etc.

eBay-generated return labels are USPS, exclusively. Doesn't matter the original outbound carrier. They are also uninsured, regardless of value. Sellers can enable RMA numbers which allows them to review returns and choose between eBay-generated return labels or their own return labels. I use this option because eBay-generated return labels aren't always the most cost effective, plus there's no insurance which I sometimes opt to add on high value items.

I believe you have to purchase your own label when signature is required. From the policy page, "When using your own carrier, make sure to upload the label and tracking details to the buyer’s return request. For items that have a total cost of $750 or more, signature confirmation is required. "

My advice: If the buyer is rejecting the UPS label, buy a prepaid USPS label with signature. Do it on pirateship.com because you'll get a lengthy window (about a month) to void the label if it's not used.

Show eBay that you're continuously trying and offering different options to the buyer. I'd send not only the PDF or JPG of the label, but also  the pirateship link that's generated (you'll see it after you purchase the label down near the bottom).

If the buyer rejects the USPS label as well, offer to send them funds for return shipping through PayPal, let them know you'll need their PayPal email and to know if they'll be purchasing the label online from UPS or USPS so you can send the right amount. Basically show eBay that you're trying anything and everything to take care of this.

If you do send the funds PayPal, use "goods and services" and bump up the amount to cover PayPal fees. In the end, if the buyer doesn't return, you can get those funds back.

It's high value. I would not give up. Try everything.

Continuing to contact CS isn't going to help if no further action is made on your part or the buyer's part. So take action. Good luck, man.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 103 of 139
latest reply

Thanks for the info but, indeed, all of those recommendations have been addressed within the 7 pages of this thread.

That's why I highlighted that summary as the answer.  It's the only useful info I've found, so hopefully it saves others the hassle of digging through 7 pages of irrelevant and/or incorrect information.

Unfortunately ebay says I am completely at the buyer's mercy.

Message 104 of 139
latest reply

Well, like I said, point me to someone who can prove me wrong and force my buyer to accept one of the perfectly valid labels I've provided.  Alternatively, point me to an ebay policy that says they will *not* refund a buyer when the buyer claims a label is invalid but the carrier says it is valid.  I have four ebay employees who say that is not the case and one who says it is.  But I can't find any official documentation.

So who knows who's correct.

All I know is, as of right now, ebay tells me my buyer will be refunded two days from now because he says all of my return labels are invalid.

If you have access to someone who can prevent that outcome then please pull that person into this thread. 

We can turn it into an eBay success story - the good guys win.

Message 105 of 139
latest reply