cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOOD TIL CANCELED A VERY BAD IDEA

I have never posted a thread before until now. This idea has to be one of EBAY's worst ever.

we constantly are running 7 and 10 days auctions and re-listing them. Simply because of the

fact that people see an item, put it in their watch list, and we always get lots of action the last

24-48 hours before it ends. And if they miss it, sometimes they come back to the new listing

when we start it back up. WOW, this is a really dumb idea.....do you hear me EBAY??

Please send some feedback, whether you agree or not....I'm talking to sellers like me.

Thank you!        P.S.         I could live with -one-  other option like 10 day or 15 day.

Message 1 of 165
latest reply
164 REPLIES 164

Re: GOOD TIL CANCELED A VERY BAD IDEA

Dying, or self destructing? But that's OK. The CEO is well protected.

Message 76 of 165
latest reply

Absolutely. I really think they are trying to get rid of the little guys. 12% fee on collectables is bad enough, but now if you end an item on day 29, you will be really telling any buyer a LIE. Ebay sends a message that the item is no longer available. My God! Now you cannot even rotate stock without a lie, instead of being able to tell the real reason.

Message 77 of 165
latest reply

I am doing the same thing, dropping the list price on all my items to get rid of them. I'm about done with eBay. I called customer service a little over a month ago when I noticed all of my listing automatically switched over to GTC and the csr acted like they had no idea how that happened. 

Message 78 of 165
latest reply

Please call eBay customer service and tell them you are not happy----they are getting plenty of negative feedback, and the more they get, the more likely they will be to reconsider this bad idea.  I called yesterday and had a long talk with the rep, and she told me that they have been getting a lot of complaints.  The more we all let them know how dissatisfied we are, the more likely they are to change. 

Message 79 of 165
latest reply

You are so right--- eBay is a shadow of its original edgy, auction-only,  exciting self. 

And this foolish decision makes it even less interesting. 

But my question, which I have asked in other posts, and has gone unanswered, is where else to sell online with a good buying audience???

Message 80 of 165
latest reply

I'm considering where else to list after sticking with eBay for 20 years...

Message 81 of 165
latest reply

I am sorry to report that to date it has been extremely poor and no we do not like GTC. With 9,400 listings, 135,000 in inventory, we are having our worst non vacation month ever. I do not recall ever seeing it so slow and to be honest this is scaring the **bleep** out of me. 

I have no other option but to do things differently. I have a family to feed and I refuse t be part of a slow death.

Message 82 of 165
latest reply

Terrible idea and they didn't even warn me in advance.  I have always used the 30 day fixed price and renewed the items if and when I wanted.  Today I noticed 6 of my items had been renewed and the duration was changed to Good Til Canceled.  I thought I had made a mistake when re-listing, so I ended the listings and tried to re-list using the 30 day fixed but it's no longer available!  Ebay is trying to make it harder for sellers to avoid listing/insertion fees by having them renew automatically.  Now you have to end/cancel your listing early to avoid the auto renew and the fees associated with renewing.  I would imagine this is a nightmare for high volume sellers? 

I have always taken advantage of the free listing offers Ebay sends me.  Most months I have 50-100 items listed and I renew every 30 days based on the number of free listings I have available. My cost of doing business on Ebay (as a small seller) will no longer be profitable If all of my listings automatically renew.  Ebay has gotten so greedy!  I will probably quit selling on Ebay and just keep my account open to make purchases.  I have found it's more profitable to sell on Etsy anyway.  I have included a copy of the update below.

Here’s the update:

Hey eBay sellers, this is Harry, VP of Seller Experience at eBay. As you read in the 2019 Early Seller Update, we are moving all Fixed Price listings to Good ‘Til Cancelled (GTC). As a reminder, this change does not apply to auctions. We’re making this change because we have seen that GTC listings offer more sales opportunities than any other fixed price duration. Over time, GTC listings keep and grow watchers, sales history, and SEO authority as they maintain the same item ID and URL for the life of the listing. We believe all of the above improves the ability for buyers to discover items on eBay, which thereby improves the likelihood of a sale.

We’re aware of concerns some of you may have around managing GTC listings. Today in the Seller Hub Active listings page, you can see the start date of each of your listings. You can also sort by the start date to see, for example, your oldest listing at the top. With the start date, you can determine how long a listing has been active – but, currently, this requires you to do some math. By the end of March, we’ll do the math for you and will show you the number of days each listing has been active. Today, sellers can also sort active listings by end date or time left. For GTC listings, end date indicates the next date of renewal, and time left indicates the time left until renewal. Just as you do today, you can start, end, or relist your items at any time you choose.

All sellers may also take advantage of the out-of-stock feature, which allows you to effectively pause the availability of the item to buyers by setting the listing quantity to zero. This comes in handy if you want to keep all the benefits mentioned above (same item ID and URL, watchers, sales history and SEO benefits) while either your item is out-of-stock or you need a vacation. When you are ready to sell the item again, simply update the quantity back to a positive number. You can also use our bulk editing tools to update multiple listings at once.

We’re also aware of concerns about the 30 day auto-renewal period not syncing with monthly billing cycles. We’re looking into this. Thank you for your patience.

We always want to create the best experience we possibly can for our sellers. That’s why your feedback is so important to us. We look forward to continuing our partnership with you to improve your sales velocity and build a better marketplace.

Message 83 of 165
latest reply

I TOTALLY AGREE!!  This is BAD - I too find that many will purchase in the last few days of a listing when the Buy It Now is 7 days - but when its good until cancelled sometimes others don't ever find the listing or if they do there is no "urgency to purchase"  MARKETING 101 is creating an urgency for the purchase or over time you will loose the listing.  STAND UP SELLERS - We don't have to take this, options are a must EBAY!

If this does not change I will be cancelling my store and seek other avenues to fundraise for our nonprofit.  Else I will be forced to simply post everything as an Auction and accept offers.

Yep just another money ploy without asking your clients what they want.  SHAME ON YOU!  (And I too have NEVER posted on community before - outraged!)

Message 84 of 165
latest reply

Yes they Got me with the fees. I called to get credit 30 days they started relisting my items . alot of them i did not want relisted , SO now you have to END the LISTING before your 30 days or MORE FEES.            It's very simple: money grab for ebay, Say you list on May 1. On May 31, unless you act in time, you will be charged a (re)listing fee. Now say you are a casual seller and use the 50 free listings each month. If you use up your free listings before May 31, it means ching ching ching ching ching for ebay, and boohoo for sellers. To avoid this, you are supposed to cancel or pause your listing. I like the idea of set and forget, but I've been used to the natural reminder of  turning over the calendar. 

Message 85 of 165
latest reply

1. GTC is only for FIXED PRICE.

2. GTC uses the same transaction number for the life of the listing so watchers who were watching it will STILL be watching it so if they miss the end of the auction and it is still unsold, they can find it and buy (or make an offer).

I'm fine with GTC but yeah your 15 day option sounds pretty good.

Message 86 of 165
latest reply

This new policy would have been so much easier to accept if the GTC option counted against your available listing just once and renewed for 3 months. No math countdowns , no cancellations required to avoid unwanted fees.  OR... eBay could subtract 3 listing credits for each Buy-it-Now listing . Again, No 30 math countdowns , no cancellations required. EBay gets the longevity it wants on google search and I do not have to babysit  my extra free incentive listings used to give my each month. Because that is where the problem lies.     GTC is not a concern for the casual sellers < 50 items monthly  or the mega sellers anchor/Enterprise.stores. It is the smaller sellers who have selected a store subscription rate the worked for their business model but also used the extra incentive listings offered each month to boost their inventory. I have a starter store, that contracts me 100 listings each month. I usually have 200- 400 items  using eBay incentives.  I will no longer be using those incentives and my store will only have 100 listings if  I decide to return to eBay for now I have taken down all of my listings. With so many seller talking about canceling listings at 209 days I do not see this GTC plan achieving its Goal for longevity on Google. 

Message 87 of 165
latest reply

Hi, I totally agree with you ,I used to run only 7 day fixed price listings. With the Good till Canceled the visual ability of my listings will get buried among thousands of other Case knife listings. In the past after relisting a knife it sold a lot of times the next day. Ebay does not understand that in this day and time people do not and will not search thru a lot of listings to find what they want, old saying everything is in the eye of the beholder. Now I am forced to compete directly with folks that have stores and a huge selection of knives. I am a tiny hobby seller that enjoys selling knifes at a descent price. By the way as soon as ALL states get on board with paying sales taxes to them, sales on E bay will take another blow. Sears sunk so can Ebay with this stupid idea of Good till Canceled policy. I will not pay Ebay a dime after the 30 days is up.
Message 88 of 165
latest reply

Totally agree!  Who in their infinite wisdom at Ebay thought this was going to help sellers or at least tell sellers it would help to  "increase their sales" should have their head (or their ethics) examined.  What a joke on sellers..again.  They could at least be honest and tell sellers the truth...it is great for Ebay"s bottom line..sellers?... not so much.  Bad Idea, bad idea, bad idea!  Now they get a $1.00 for Gallery Plus, too.  Ebay are you listening to sellers?  Hello, hello, can you hear us yet?

Message 89 of 165
latest reply

@treschic53 wrote:

You are so right--- eBay is a shadow of its original edgy, auction-only,  exciting self. 

And this foolish decision makes it even less interesting. 

But my question, which I have asked in other posts, and has gone unanswered, is where else to sell online with a good buying audience???

We cannot mention the names of these platforms here.  I have had a bonanza of a good time floating down the river to an Artsy community of sellers who vend crafts and vintage items. I stocked on clothes for my trip by going down the ruby brick lane and marked my way with posh items. 

Message 90 of 165
latest reply