cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOOD NEWS FROM EBAY- SELLERS PROTECTION :)FINALLY

ebay HAS GIVEN FINALLY GOOD NEWS 

New abusive buyer protections and reporting feature update

We're implementing stronger measures against buyers who don't follow eBay's abusive buyer policy. We're introducing new measures to proactively find abusive buyers, prevent them from filing return requests, and in some cases suspend them. When we find that a buyer violated the policy, we will remove any feedback and defects, including opened cases in service metrics.

We've also made it easier for you to report buyers who violate eBay policies. Now when you report a buyer, you can more clearly describe what the buyer is doing to help us investigate potential policy violations and take actions to protect you.

Reduced search visibility for sellers who use a retailer to ship directly to buyers

Sellers who use retailers or marketplaces to ship directly to buyers are in violation of our drop shipping policy and will be lowered in search results, giving sellers who own their own inventory or drop ship from wholesalers greater search visibility.

We protect you in other ways, too

Additional protections include:

• Removal of negative feedback and defects when you've done your part (e.g., tracking shows on-time delivery) or when things happen that are beyond your control, such as weather or carrier delays.
  • Partial refunds in the returns flow for items returned opened or used when you offer free returns.

Learn more about the many ways we protect you on eBay.

Your track record matters

This summer, we will announce new seller protections that will be based on your track record and how we will protect you when you provide great service to buyers.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: GOOD NEWS FROM EBAY- SELLERS PROTECTION :)FINALLY

@sharingtheland wrote:

It's no different than when stores used to put bounced checks up on their wall to shame the people that had ripped them off.

I knew someone would say that.  grinning

It is illegal to write a check while knowing it will bounce.  Those names don't get posted because of one oops overdraft.   And I haven't seen a list of names taped to a register in years.

Saying that I'm a horrible buyer and/or BEWARE !!! in an online public space is a totally different situation.

Edit:  Anyway, it's a moot point.   Negative feedback for buyers is not going to be allowed here and, again, I don't know why people bring it up.

I agree with your last statement...it's a moot point because it's not going to happen.  But, if a person is a horrible buyer, they deserve to be publicly ridiculed so that maybe they will learn that what they're doing is unacceptable.  If I did something I was ashamed of, I wouldn't find it unreasonable for a person to point out my shameful act.  If it was something I wasn't ashamed of doing, then I wouldn't care if they pointed it out anyway.

Message 76 of 89
latest reply

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

1. Allow sellers to leave buyers feedback, and perhaps even show a buyer metric on how many returns the buyer has had, and give the seller the option to cancel if to many, without punishment.

This is not going to happen ever, never, ever.  I would not shop at any site, physical or ecommerce, that posted ratings about buyers.

I don't know why people keep bringing this up as some kind of viable policy.

2. allow sellers to set there own terms on returns. This is the way the world works.

Yep, a seller can do that on the seller's own site or in the seller's b&m store.  Oh sure, go tell Amazon, etsy or anywhere else that the seller demands to set her/his own terms or she/he won't sell there.  Try not to let the door hit ya on the way out.   

The way the world works?  Where ?

I wouldn't have a problem shopping somewhere that put scummy customers on blast.  It's no different than when stores used to put bounced checks up on their wall to shame the people that had ripped them off.

Lets not forget thats the way Ebay worked for years, you know, when it was successful. 

Message 77 of 89
latest reply

Pffftt, new policy, whatever. I just scammed by a buyer who returned a different item. Reported them and nothing. Ebay doesn't care, never did. I reported a few other buyers before, NOTHING HAPPENED TO THEM. I still see these same scammers buying stuff from other people. Ebay only wants our money. Ebay, put your policy where your mouth is, enforce it and show us. All this talk is cheap. I want RESULTS just like everyone else.
Message 78 of 89
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

So Ebay is hoping that Sellers miss all of this while drooling over all the "protections" that Ebay is giving lip service to.

With all due respect, most aren't going to be drooling over the protections.  I'm seeing more cynicism than not.  Your mileage may vary.

With all due respect, if you notice the key word which I just highlighted for you, I said that is what Ebay is HOPING for - not what they are getting in the way of responses.  What I am seeing is the least cared about Sellers Update ever as Sellers realize this is just a restatement of what Ebay is already supposed to be doing, yet isn't.  They also don't expect anything to change going forward.

This appears to be nothing but more Lip Service to try and convince Sellers that Ebay has their backs so they will start listing more and higher priced items as Ebay has become known as the place to only list what you are willing to lose.  Ebay has seen the continued results of treating their sellers with disdain and the last quarters results really showed Sellers feelings about Ebay.  GMV was DOWN as were revenues, period, as there were not any 10-15% sales where Ebay could show the Gross Sale and hide the discount down under marketing expenses so it appeared that they actually had growth when in reality they were losing money on most sales when they ran those promotions.

The lack of any responses overall shows just how little Sellers actually believe any of what is being said, especially since most if not all of this is supposedly already in place and has been for years.  Just another case of the right hand having no clue what the left hand is doing.

I stand corrected; hoping it is!    

Message 79 of 89
latest reply

I find it hilarious that the only penalty for drop shippers is that they are lower in the search results. Since drop shipping is not allowed on ebay, shouldn't the expected behaviour be "We delete all of their listings and stop them from violating ebay rules"?
Message 80 of 89
latest reply

@floridainjection wrote:
I find it hilarious that the only penalty for drop shippers is that they are lower in the search results. Since drop shipping is not allowed on ebay, shouldn't the expected behaviour be "We delete all of their listings and stop them from violating ebay rules"?

I noticed that too lol.  The logical assumption would be that if somethings "not allowed", ebay would actually remove it when they became aware of it.  Just another example of them saying one thing and doing something different.

Message 81 of 89
latest reply

I agree with your last statement...it's a moot point because it's not going to happen.  But, if a person is a horrible buyer, they deserve to be publicly ridiculed so that maybe they will learn that what they're doing is unacceptable.  If I did something I was ashamed of, I wouldn't find it unreasonable for a person to point out my shameful act.  If it was something I wasn't ashamed of doing, then I wouldn't care if they pointed it out anyway.

Scamming buyers don't care, in the faceless world of the internet, if they are publicly ridiculed on a site.  They just move on to a new arena.   Because...drumroll...scamming buyers aren't ashamed of being scamming buyers.

(Note:  I realize I'm painting all scamming buyers with a broad brush and I should not be judging an entire group or species based on the actions of a few...oh wait...a member of a group of scamming buyers would be a scamming buyer.  upside_down )

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 82 of 89
latest reply

I have a store by me right now that has a bulletin board right behind the register with bad checks pinned to it with the person's name written above in bold letters 🙂

Message 83 of 89
latest reply

@ifyouloveit wrote:
I have a store by me right now that has a bulletin board right behind the register with bad checks pinned to it with the person's name written above in bold letters 🙂

In another time and place, I knew a store like that, but that is not something usually seen anymore.

Message 84 of 89
latest reply

Hopefully, sellers will have some protection now from abusive or even unreasonable buyers.  The word has gotten out to the community about the many seller abuses and many hestitate now to sell their items.  It seems that the motto so often seen on ebay, "the buyer beware" has been molded into "seller be cautious"

Message 85 of 89
latest reply

@fire-elemental wrote:

Hopefully, sellers will have some protection now from abusive or even unreasonable buyers.  The word has gotten out to the community about the many seller abuses and many hestitate now to sell their items.  It seems that the motto so often seen on ebay, "the buyer beware" has been molded into "seller be cautious"

All of these policies have been on Ebay for a long time, just never enforced.  If you the fine print nothing is changing because Ebay has to determine that a buyer is being Abusive before they will do anything for you.  So the buyer can sit there and keep doing business as usual and Ebay will supposedly punish them for their abusive behavior and then they will consider covering the Seller.  Once again there is no definitive rules that they must follow so its going to be nothing but the same old game of everything is on a case by case basis and Ebay can still play favorites and have no rules that they must enforce.

All this Seller Update contained was more Lip Service about how Ebay is NOW going to really pay attention to our complaints and do something about it, but we are not going to disclose what it takes or how we are going to enforce it.  So for some reason we are supposed to believe they are going to take us seriously this time just as they have each of the previous times they made the same promise?

Message 86 of 89
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

There is no specific plan outlined and they used the word may... Will abusive buyers be given strikes again? Will Ebay block IPs from abusive buyers so they can't buy and create guest accounts?  One can buy an alternate IP for little money so it's not going to stop them.

How about outlining the specific consequences - sometimes that alone is a deterrent. Have the mail fraud and IC3 links posted for sellers to use in the case of fraud - or if investigated and buyer is found to be abusive - Ebay can file it themselves.

We had protection of a sort from abusive buyers - but there was never any set plan on what was to be done to them - it was left up to Ebay's discretion.

We're often told that they can't get into specifics - but they are pretty specific when giving us our rules and policies for selling here. Buyers should be held to the same standard. Buyers want to know that if they do decide to sell something here - they themselves will be protected.

Excellent Post!

Especially your last sentence: 

Buyers want to know that if they do decide to sell something here - they themselves will be protected.

Message 87 of 89
latest reply

@noodlevette wrote:

I have one return in my seller metric.  "Wrong item"  In reality the buyer picked the wrong seller to open the case against, even stated that and apologized when she closed the case, but it is still there counting against me.   

I am not supposed to worry because it is only "one".   

No, it should be NONE.  

She wasn't an abusive buyer, just confused.  I still have a bogus entry in my metrics as a result.  

This is not right or fair.  If it were me, I would escalate this further until it was resolved.

Message 88 of 89
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@uniwarehousewares wrote:

ebay HAS GIVEN FINALLY GOOD NEWS 

New abusive buyer protections and reporting feature update

We're implementing stronger measures against buyers who don't follow eBay's abusive buyer policy. We're introducing new measures to proactively find abusive buyers, prevent them from filing return requests, and in some cases suspend them. When we find that a buyer violated the policy, we will remove any feedback and defects, including opened cases in service metrics.

We've also made it easier for you to report buyers who violate eBay policies. Now when you report a buyer, you can more clearly describe what the buyer is doing to help us investigate potential policy violations and take actions to protect you.

Reduced search visibility for sellers who use a retailer to ship directly to buyers

Sellers who use retailers or marketplaces to ship directly to buyers are in violation of our drop shipping policy and will be lowered in search results, giving sellers who own their own inventory or drop ship from wholesalers greater search visibility.

We protect you in other ways, too

Additional protections include:

• Removal of negative feedback and defects when you've done your part (e.g., tracking shows on-time delivery) or when things happen that are beyond your control, such as weather or carrier delays.
  • Partial refunds in the returns flow for items returned opened or used when you offer free returns.

Learn more about the many ways we protect you on eBay.

Your track record matters

This summer, we will announce new seller protections that will be based on your track record and how we will protect you when you provide great service to buyers.

Good news?  I see nothing new.

All i see is a lot of Lip Service with nothing specific about how or what will be done or what Ebay will consider abusive buyer behavior.  Until these things are spelled out specifically this is nothing more and the normal we have your back Sellers lip service that we have been getting since Wenig took over as the CEO and stated that he was going to reconnect with the Small Sellers.  All Ebay has reconnected with since he became CEO was the inside of our wallets as Ebay continues to find more and more ways to empty it without producing any sales.

eBay has done the opposite for me, they found a way to disconnect from my wallet ....     But I was a Frequent Buyer here.

Poor Customer Support, Numerous & Frequent Technical Glitches, and Lack of Trust & Safety on the Site, are what made me close my wallet.  Hoping things change soon, as I did have a lot of fun shopping here for 9 years.

Message 89 of 89
latest reply