cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay won't allow a listing

Trying to list a 1943 WW 2 How to Shoot the U.S. Army Rifle The Infantry Journal Manual 1st Ed and I get the following message.  There are several manuals just like it listed.  Any suggestions?

Military Manuals

It appears you are attempting to list a military manual that may be restricted for sale as technical data under the US Munitions list found at ITAR Part 121. Due to the highly regulated nature of these items, which can restrict even sales within the US, eBay has made the policy decision to prohibit these items altogether. Therefore, this item is not permitted and please do not attempt to relist. Please see eBay’s Military Items policy for more information.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Ebay won't allow a listing

@kbo5027 wrote:
Any suggestions?

Suggestion- don't try to sell it here. Pay attention to the policy prohibiting it and don't pay attention to what other sellers are doing- eBay will catch them eventually and sanction their accounts for the policy violations.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Ebay relies on reactive policing of it's policies. This means when someone reports a seller's item, Ebay reacts to it. Ebay rarely goes out of their way to police their own sellers and marketplace. 

More than likely, other sellers of the same item reported your listing. Thus, yours got policed. You can report the other sellers, since it's clearly against Ebay's policy to list these. 

But I would advise against relisting that item and selling it on Ebay. If you get reported enough and your items removed, Ebay will restrict your selling account. Bottom line: sell it elsewhere. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

It ain't gonna happen.

Don't even think of relisting a restricted item.

No no.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I am getting this message trying to list a playstation game!! 🤔🙄😂

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

likely what happened was a liberal reported it!! They do not like America anyway but there is nothing saying you cannot list a manual so ebay was rather way out of line for removing your listing !! Good luck

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@kbo5027 wrote:
Trying to list a 1943 WW 2 How to Shoot the U.S. Army Rifle The Infantry Journal Manual 1st Ed and I get the following message.  There are several manuals just like it listed.  Any suggestions?

Here are my suggestions:

1) don't list it again

2) don't be fooled by the fact that other sellers are "getting away" with listing it 

If you look at eBay's user agreement it says this: 

"we reserve the right to refuse, modify, or terminate all or part of our Services to anyone for any reason at our discretion."

This basically means that even if eBay wants to take your listing down and leave other listings up, they can. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

there is no policy against listing any military manual of any kind. It is a book for crying out loud !!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

That's the **bleep** truth..

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Someone is just jealous of your listing..

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@muskingum_relics wrote:

there is no policy against listing any military manual of any kind. It is a book for crying out loud !!

Really? I would have thought that "military manuals of any kind " would have fallen under the policy that bans "user manuals for military items":

The following items are not allowed:

Technical data as defined under Part 120 of the ITAR, including user manuals for military items

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/military-items-policy?id=4342

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Why does it even  matter to you (luckythewinner).you don't even have a listing..

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I suppose a how to sew cloth on a WW1 airplane wing is also a very guarded secret. Don't want the Red Barron to take to the skies again do we.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@nkpina2014 wrote:

Ebay relies on reactive policing of it's policies. This means when someone reports a seller's item, Ebay reacts to it. Ebay rarely goes out of their way to police their own sellers and marketplace. 

More than likely, other sellers of the same item reported your listing. Thus, yours got policed. You can report the other sellers, since it's clearly against Ebay's policy to list these. 

But I would advise against relisting that item and selling it on Ebay. If you get reported enough and your items removed, Ebay will restrict your selling account. Bottom line: sell it elsewhere. 

There are at least seven other active listings for the same book.  One listing was for $75.00.  As @nkpina2014 alluded to, more than likely, another seller of the same simple book you listed decided to eliminate your listing by reporting you.

Some sellers (top rated or not) will do anything they can get away with to eliminate the competition.  Reporting other competing sellers for frivolous violations is one of them.

Sorry it happened to you.  It's despicable.  Do listen to the good advisers and don't try to list it again.

Good luck!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply