cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending a listing and awarding highest bidder when bid is passed Buy Now price?

Hi. I'm relatively new to eBay so I made an inadvertent boo-boo.

I listed a game to sell at "Buy Now" for twenty bucks. I also had an auction starting at five bucks, because I knew there was no way someone would pay 20 in the buy now.

...I've never been so wrong in my life. The bids have doubled the Buy Now price. I could be greedy and keep it open, but when someone is bid warring another customer and they offer double the price? And that 20 extra bucks could go out the window for me if someone thinks to click the buy now button and essentially rob me blind, and the high bidder? Uhh...what's the moral/ethical opinion for me ending it now and making 40, rather than waiting and seeing some sniper who wants to watch the world burn by doing Buy Now for 20 at the last minute?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

(Thanks for the swift reply. I pulled the sale and awarded the game to the top bidder. Didn't know BIN disappeared when the bids surpass the BIN, like I said I'm new. But good to know that now, considering I have stuff still posted that have a BIN between 30-50, so I'll know if a bid passes the BIN price, I don't have to end it.)

You misunderstand, once a bid is placed on an auction (regardless of the amount of the bid)

the BIN is disabled.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The BIN disappears when the bidding starts. No one can BIN for $20. I do not see anything you have that has bids up to $40 ? Go back a relook at your listing.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the swift reply. I pulled the sale and awarded the game to the top bidder. Didn't know BIN disappeared when the bids surpass the BIN, like I said I'm new. But good to know that now, considering I have stuff still posted that have a BIN between 30-50, so I'll know if a bid passes the BIN price, I don't have to end it.

And for why it's worth, I may have gotten the hort end anyway. I didn't think to look at the top bidder till after I closed it out. They're a recent 2020 sign up with no sales, purchases or rating. So I think I may have taken a troll to the knee. Or someone putzing around and didn't know they'd be the highest bidder as a joke or w/e.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

(Thanks for the swift reply. I pulled the sale and awarded the game to the top bidder. Didn't know BIN disappeared when the bids surpass the BIN, like I said I'm new. But good to know that now, considering I have stuff still posted that have a BIN between 30-50, so I'll know if a bid passes the BIN price, I don't have to end it.)

You misunderstand, once a bid is placed on an auction (regardless of the amount of the bid)

the BIN is disabled.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The BIN is disabled in most categories.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Oooof.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

In which ones are they not, per se?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

One category is Clothing,  don't have time to research the others.  Sorry.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

The BIN is disabled in most categories.

The 4 categories in which the BIN option remains available until the bidding reaches 50% of the BIN price are:

1. Parts & Accessories (eBay Motors)
2. Tickets
3. Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
4. Cell Phones & PDAs

Many years ago eBay tried to drop the experiment with "sticky BINs" but the programming failed and they never got it fixed.  The first 10 or 20 posts in this thread tell the sad tale:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Auction-Listings/Longer-Lasting-Buy-It-Now-Now-in-more-categor...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-buy-now?id=4109

Message 9 of 9
latest reply