cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is killing small business with extra fees and misguided Metrics to squeeze out more money

It is complete madness here on ebay. Ebay has removed the level playing field years ago and finds ways to continue to squeeze every possible cent out of every type of seller here. What i find completely unacceptable is the punitive 5% add-on and 1% add-on fees for international sales based on misguided metrics. Anything over 2% defect rate will automatically trigger 6% punitive (extra fees)  add-on fees on future sales. How is this even acceptable? Defect metrics of less than 4% is unattainable in ecommerce.  This is out of sellers control. Defect rate metrics include Late shipment deliveries by the shipping carrier is out of sellers control. Buyer remorse thru false claims of SNAID is triggered and set in place to punish sellers. Damaged items thru shipping carrier regardless of the best packaging also triggers these punitive add-ons. My recent fees have jumped out to 16% and will continue to do so for the next several months (from what i see at least the next 3 months) on future sales. What kind of madness is this? What ebay is succeeding is killing small businesses, killing margins. The end results is sellers leaving, using multitude of other selling platforms with lesser fees and lesser punitive policies. Clearly ebay doesn't mind it.  Please tell me how this is acceptable......

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Ebay is killing small business with extra fees and misguided Metrics to squeeze out more money

Every site has parameters for their Sellers.  Meet or exceed them - life is fine.  Fall below, there are consequences.

What issues caused you to be below standard?  What is your plan to reverse that?  It can be hard to do. 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 39
latest reply

the ebay plan is working just as its supposed to.it seperates the wheat from the chaf

Dr Phil had a good point the other day

what seprates the winners form the losers is that winners are willing to do thing that losers will not do.

that brings to mind forced returns.

you will find yourself at the bottom of the pack the more you put up a fuss

try to go with the flow instead of against the grain

I say "what have you go to lose"

keep on ebayin!

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Raise item prices

The 6% punitive add on fees are expected to be passed onto the buyer to pay.

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

The growth in the listing volume on eBay has far outpaced the growth in buying volume. From eBay's perspective, I think they feel they have the luxury of being able to selectively trim the number of sellers by discouraging those who do not meet their standards to either adapt or leave. 

The end results is sellers leaving, using multitude of other selling platforms with lesser fees and lesser punitive policies. Clearly ebay doesn't mind it. Please tell me how this is acceptable.

If there are "multitudes" of other selling platforms with lower fees and less punitive policies, why would it matter what eBay is doing? How can eBay possibly be "killing small business" if those small businesses have multitudes of better alternatives?

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

clearly you missed the point. These are out of my control " This is out of sellers control. Defect rate metrics include Late shipment deliveries by the shipping carrier is out of sellers control. Buyer remorse thru false claims of SNAID is triggered and set in place to punish sellers. Damaged items thru shipping carrier regardless of the best packaging also triggers these punitive add-ons. My recent fees have jumped out to 16% and will continue to do so for the next several months (from what i see at least the next 3 months) on future sales."

Tell what is your plan to fix this? 

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Please tell me your plan to deal with the following punitive metrics which I have no control of:

1)  Defect rate metrics include Late shipment deliveries by the shipping carrier is out of sellers control.

2). Buyer remorse thru false claims of SNAID is triggered and set in place to punish sellers.

3). Damaged items thru shipping carrier regardless of the best packaging also triggers these punitive add-ons. 

2 % or less marks you as triggers to add extra 6% fees.

What is your plan to address this?

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

If it is out of seller's control........why aren't more sellers affected? 

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

"Defect rate metrics include Late shipment deliveries by the shipping carrier is out of sellers control. "

You do not receive defects for late delivery on eBay, you only receive defects if you don't ship within your stated handling time.

"Damaged items thru shipping carrier regardless of the best packaging also triggers these punitive add-ons."

You do not receive defects on eBay for items damaged in transit.

"Buyer remorse thru false claims of SNAID is triggered and set in place to punish sellers. What is your plan to address this?"

Since buyers know all they have to do is say the item isn't as described to get free returns, I started offering free returns. The false claims decreased by about 90%.

"Ebay is killing small business with extra fees and misguided Metrics to squeeze out more money"

All sellers on eBay are held to metrics standards, regardless of the size of their business.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

"Damaged items thru shipping carrier regardless of the best packaging also triggers these punitive add-ons."

You do not receive defects on eBay for items damaged in transit.

You are wrong. It shows as a defect metric in my stats

"Buyer remorse thru false claims of SNAID is triggered and set in place to punish sellers. What is your plan to address this?"

Since buyers know all they have to do is say the item isn't as described to get free returns, I started offering free returns. The false claims decreased by about 90%.

So your margins are paper thin, 90% tells me it's rampant issue, complicit  and your ok with SNAID regardless. 

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

@chernobly41 wrote:

You do not receive defects on eBay for items damaged in transit.

You are wrong. It shows as a defect metric in my stats

So your margins are paper thin, 90% tells me it's rampant issue, complicit  and your ok with SNAID regardless. 

Um, no - sorry, that's not how percentages work. 

Let's say I have 10 returns in a year. 10 of those returns are false SNAD claims - that's 100% false SNAD claims.

I change my return policy.

A year passes.

This year I have 10 returns. 1 of those returns is a false SNAD claim. That's a 90% decrease in false SNAD claims.

If you received a defect for an item that was damaged in transit, I would be interested in seeing the actual documentation.

If you received a defect for an item that was shipped on time, but delivered late by USPS, I would be interested in seeing the actual documentation. 

If you just came here to vent, and don't want any feedback or suggestions on how you could improve your business, that's fantastic. Please just let everyone know, preferably sooner rather than later.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Ok,  I've had enough of reading complaint after complaint about the TOS here.

You've been an ebay member for fourteen years.  How many shares of ebay stock do you own?

The common theme of wise investors is to invest in what you believe in.  Thank you for supporting my ebay stock investment for fourteen years.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

I am here with legitimate concerns. Those defects are in my stats. That is fact. I am here for constructive dialogue. I am a business owner.  I find these forums go off the rails without discussing real concerns. I want one of the moderators PM me please with my concerns.

thank-you

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

INR and SNADs cause metric issues.  And only if you did not resolve and e-Bay had to step in.  Are you not addressing these claims as they arise?

What will you do to get your account back to above standard?  It is very hard to do once you are there and you've clearly had multiple issues.  1 claim does not put you there.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@chernobly41 wrote:

What is your plan to address this?

My plan works for my business.

luckythewinner_0-1633022648776.png

You will need to come up with a plan for your own business - but that plan will require you to make changes to how you operate on eBay.

However, every suggestion that has been made on this board has been met with insults, ridicule and ad-hominem attacks - so I do not see much chance of that happening. 

Message 15 of 39
latest reply