cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is killing small business with extra fees and misguided Metrics to squeeze out more money

It is complete madness here on ebay. Ebay has removed the level playing field years ago and finds ways to continue to squeeze every possible cent out of every type of seller here. What i find completely unacceptable is the punitive 5% add-on and 1% add-on fees for international sales based on misguided metrics. Anything over 2% defect rate will automatically trigger 6% punitive (extra fees)  add-on fees on future sales. How is this even acceptable? Defect metrics of less than 4% is unattainable in ecommerce.  This is out of sellers control. Defect rate metrics include Late shipment deliveries by the shipping carrier is out of sellers control. Buyer remorse thru false claims of SNAID is triggered and set in place to punish sellers. Damaged items thru shipping carrier regardless of the best packaging also triggers these punitive add-ons. My recent fees have jumped out to 16% and will continue to do so for the next several months (from what i see at least the next 3 months) on future sales. What kind of madness is this? What ebay is succeeding is killing small businesses, killing margins. The end results is sellers leaving, using multitude of other selling platforms with lesser fees and lesser punitive policies. Clearly ebay doesn't mind it.  Please tell me how this is acceptable......

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay is killing small business with extra fees and misguided Metrics to squeeze out more money

azh-71
Thrill-Seeker

LOL.  Move to Amazon.  The return window there is only like 4 months.  That will make you forget about the metrics right quick.

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Re: Ebay is killing small business with extra fees and misguided Metrics to squeeze out more money

Not to mention the managed payments. You sell one item one day and another the next they take the fee and the shipping out of the first sale.  So by the time you get paid it ainit **bleep** .You have to sell on a Monday or a Tuesday to get paid by Thursday and Friday. Anything sold after Tuesday you wont get paid till the following Tuesday. Rally makes it hard to get by. But they take their fees immediately. Let some complain about an item and they immediately put a hold on your account.  The seller is just a host to feed off of.

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 

in MP you are paying 12.55% + $0.30 on the $55.00 total amount paid by the buyer.

Non MP was 10% to eBay (now 10.2%) and another %age to PP

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

@buyselljack2016

OK, but Still, 10.2% of the Item Sale Price + Shipping + Tax is likely going to be 14-15% of the Actual Item Price not including PayPal Fees - Add in the 5% penalty and you are looking at overall fees in the 22-24% Range on average --- Absolutely Insane....Oh Yeah and then ebay wants you to Pay Another 5-10% in Promoted Listing Fees --- Un-Freaking-Believable --- All for less than they gave you a year ago, which was less than they gave you the year before that, and so on and so on ---

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

And yet literally thousands of sellers operate with no added defect rate fees

“Ebay makes these rules just to make more money for themselves” is just as weak a claim as refusing to take demonstrably sound advice from “someone with no sales or purchases.”

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

Seriously? My fees only run around 12%

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

Lololololol

My favorite complaint

We ALL liked the immediacy of PayPal; that doesn’t make MP evil

Hyperbole, anyone?

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Changing from no returns to free returns doesn't change the fact that we don't want returns when buyers lie. Whether they use SNAD or return for free, it's still fraud. Bait and switch schemes have happened to me for 2 years. I'm to the point that I list anything with working parts as "for parts or repair" so they have no leg to stand on when they lie and say it's broke. Ebay is just costing us money by giving us the illusion that when they "step in and help" that they might actually side with the seller. So we are forced into returns and refunds regardless of our return policy. It's guilty until proven innocent every single time, and I've not met anyone who won an ebay appeal. Customer service is all remote foreigners who cannot type a complete coherent sentence, and are just condescending pandering idiots. Unless you are doing a volume of 400+ sales a month, they don't give a **bleep** about you.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply