cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Jeff,

I haven't seen the beta yet, so a few questions:

Is it true that , for store listings, the pop up strips out store categories? And , for older stores, links to custom store pages?

Much has been made about SEO and Google by ebay's management. Do the Google bots "see" the description, even if the buyer doesn't?

What else, if anything, is stripped out? Page borders, for example? Embedded videos? Pics in the description?

If ebay decides the beta test was positive, will this become the default view for ALL users, ir will it only become the default view for those who have downloaded the ebay mobile app?

Message 166 of 1,018
latest reply

Mobile sucks.

Period.

If I wanted a mobile experience I would be using ebay on a phone, but I use a laptop. The only thing mobile is good for is making quick price checks before I purchase an item, checking emails, accepting offers and maybe buying a cheap cable or something.

People that use a phone the most for the internet are the types that aren't huge into computers. Lot of first timers. People that couldn't set the timer on their VCR. People that work outside and use the phone to check sports scores and facebook on their break.

If you are buying a lot of 18 used Polycom SIP office phones for $400, you're on a desktop or laptop in an office. You want to know whats included and whats not. You want to know what version of software they are running. You don't want a tiny window with a picture you have to scroll back in forth. This is your job. You need to buy and set those up for the 15 new employees coming in next week. You're not buying an $8 cell phone case. You're having your time and the company's time wasted dealing with the "fluff" being added to the website.

Mobile and fixed should *NOT* be the same. Mobile should be light and quick, fixed should be detailed and informative.

I'm still glad paypal still has the "classic" view. All that huge spacing, white space and animations are annoying. Just give me my data so I can work.

Message 167 of 1,018
latest reply

@pvcliff wrote:

Just now went to show my husband this new madness and the listings I checked in collectibles, books and ethnicities all had their descriptions fully intact.  So maybe the screaming was actually heard!

The test is called an A/B Test, which means that some users will see the normal experience (they're the control group) and others will see the new experience (they're the test group). By running an A/B Test, we'll be able to see how the behaviors of the control and test groups operate during the same time period while looking at the same inventory.

Message 168 of 1,018
latest reply

Whether you see the new format depends on your cookies and whether you (the viewer) have been randomly selected.  When l log out and back in sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

Message 169 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@octochick wrote:

@jeff wrote:

Yes, we are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience. The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens.

This is the very opposite of simplification! How does making the buyer do more work make it a better experience? Then if they miss the very hard to see button all together and later find an issue that was fully disclosed in the description they never saw, whose fault is that? And how will that improve their buying experience?

Keep it simple for the buyers! That is the key!! And please stop experimenting with our listings that we pay for and for many of us pay our bills! We are not lab rats. 

It's a test. We'll see if having a consistent experience between the platforms has any impact or not. Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact th seller's standing.

And in what parallel universe will that happen. 

Message 170 of 1,018
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:
I gave you kudos - but has CS ( especially foreign) been informed and understand this test situation and the possibility of a resulting defect so sellers who may incur such a defect don't get even more frustrated.

Yes, all of the involved teams have been informed. And, any negative buyer feedback that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact your seller standing.

Message 171 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:
I gave you kudos - but has CS ( especially foreign) been informed and understand this test situation and the possibility of a resulting defect so sellers who may incur such a defect don't get even more frustrated.

Yes, all of the involved teams have been informed. And, any negative buyer feedback that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact your seller standing.

How will CS know who was in the test and when?

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 172 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@holidayshopper201 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Yes, we are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience. The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens.

From a buyer's point of view, I HATE IT! 

Buyers DO NOT like this experience.

As I've already posted, browsers have built in pop-up blockers for a reason - people HATE pop-ups!  Who at eBay thought this was a good idea? It's inefficient and inconvenient. And those are the kindest words I can use.

Please, please don't do this to the computer version of the site. 

Now, how do I opt-out??

As a buyer, you may be able to opt out by clearing your cookies or changing your browser or device. Users who are selected for the test are selected randomly, so by clearing your cookies or using a different browser or device, you'll be randomly assigned or not assigned to the test.

If you have feedback on the new design, you can click on the "tell us what you think" link beneath the item description button.

I've been meaning to spend less in general, and save more. Thanks for making that decision so much easier by making eBay that much more tedious to navigate.

Message 173 of 1,018
latest reply

@circa1901 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@octochick wrote:

@jeff wrote:

This is the very opposite of simplification! How does making the buyer do more work make it a better experience? Then if they miss the very hard to see button all together and later find an issue that was fully disclosed in the description they never saw, whose fault is that? And how will that improve their buying experience?

Keep it simple for the buyers! That is the key!! And please stop experimenting with our listings that we pay for and for many of us pay our bills! We are not lab rats. 

It's a test. We'll see if having a consistent experience between the platforms has any impact or not. Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact th seller's standing.

No doubt a buyer would have to post FB that said "I didn't read the description" in order for that to occur.

If the reason for a defect is something that is covered in the description, that's going to be very easy to resolve.

Message 174 of 1,018
latest reply

Jeff, 

The biggest issue I see from a seller's perspective is the conflicting messages ebay is sending.

1. Accurate, detailed descriptions are important for the sales process, so much so we've set up a system to penalize sellers if buyers open a dispute related to item descriptions. The INAD defect system requires a large investment of time and resources from both sellers and ebay.

vs.

2. Item descriptions get in the way of a smooth transaction, so ebay is now (considering) making those descriptions significantly more difficult access. This will lead to more INAD disputes.  

As a company you can't go forward with both messages.

Message 175 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@holidayshopper201 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

From a buyer's point of view, I HATE IT! 

Buyers DO NOT like this experience.

As I've already posted, browsers have built in pop-up blockers for a reason - people HATE pop-ups!  Who at eBay thought this was a good idea? It's inefficient and inconvenient. And those are the kindest words I can use.

Please, please don't do this to the computer version of the site. 

Now, how do I opt-out??

As a buyer, you may be able to opt out by clearing your cookies or changing your browser or device. Users who are selected for the test are selected randomly, so by clearing your cookies or using a different browser or device, you'll be randomly assigned or not assigned to the test.

If you have feedback on the new design, you can click on the "tell us what you think" link beneath the item description button.

I have used the "tell us what you think" link numerous times.

At what point does eBay ignore my complaints? 100 times? 200 times?  And would it even matter?  

Apparently, since I will never, ever shop using my phone, I am not the target market. If you're only looking at satisfaction with a consistent look for those who use both their phones and their computers, my opinion would appear to be meaningless.

Smiley Frustrated

Message 176 of 1,018
latest reply

@what-else wrote:

Whether you see the new format depends on your cookies and whether you (the viewer) have been randomly selected.  When l log out and back in sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

I understand what' you're saying.  Thanks for info.  But, oh, brother!  Smiley Frustrated

Message 177 of 1,018
latest reply

Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact th seller's standing.

I am a bit concerned about buyers who cannot even find the description during this TEST ....I always back out of those listings that say simply , "nice blue neclace, posted with my Iphone."  Others buyers reporting on the boards are backing out of these new "test listings" that have no description thinking that there isn't one. 

One result of this test is that I will likely not post anything for sale until it is over. 

Message 178 of 1,018
latest reply

@becksrelics wrote:

"Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact the seller's standing."

Ya know, might ebay take it one logical step further : Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact th seller's standing.

If a seller never ships the item, do you think that defect should be removed just because their buyer was part of the test?

Message 179 of 1,018
latest reply

@marthca938 wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

I spend so much time writing descriptions and taking great pictures. Loading them to the web, writing the HTML. I’m kind of heartbroken that the listing page looks so bad now.

I just listed 2 antiques for more than a hundred each – who the heck is going to continue buying that kind of piece when the listing page is so ugly and difficult to read?

I just clicked on a few of your listings and they looked great.   Could somebody click on one of mine and tell me if description is gone?

The test is from the buyer's perspective, not the seller's. Your listings may be part of the test for some of your shoppers, but not with all of them.

Message 180 of 1,018
latest reply