cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

We would actually have to have sales to get feedback, I say SCROLLING from my phone. 

Message 151 of 1,018
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Yes, we are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience. The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens.

How long is this test going to last? 

Will it be the new norm shortly? 

What is really surprising is that they are conducting this test now.  You would think something like this would have been done at a more convenient time...  like the end of last year, during the busy holiday shopping season.

Seriously.  Why couldn't the doorknob who was to have this idea been among the 2400?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 152 of 1,018
latest reply

Smart phones offer the convenience of mobility, but the disadvantage of a small screen.

PCs are tethered to one location, but have the advantage of a large screen.

So eBay is going to provide PC owners with the disadvantages of a smart phone's small screen?

Next beta test from eBay:

In order to be consistent and simplify the user experience, the ebay app will only work when the smart phone user is sitting at his office desk. 

ebay: Providing smart phone users with the disadvantage of the PC....now THAT'S consistency!

Message 153 of 1,018
latest reply

I gave you kudos - but has CS ( especially foreign) been informed and understand this test situation and the possibility of a resulting defect so sellers who may incur such a defect don't get even more frustrated.
Message 154 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

It's a test. We'll see if having a consistent experience between the platforms has any impact or not. Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact th seller's standing.

Translation?:  We don't care how many people complain about it, if our mobile buyers like it we're gonna keep it this way. 

Too bad, so sad for your computer users? Sheesh.

can't believe this nonsense hasn't been scrapped yet.

Message 155 of 1,018
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
If the coupon was to save a couple of hundred what's the issue?

Really no different than the Cadillac keychain I sold for $10 last night.  It was free to me (found it in a leather attache case I bought at Goodwill a few months ago.).

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 156 of 1,018
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Yes, we are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience. The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens.

How long is this test going to last? 

Will it be the new norm shortly? 

We'll test until we can get some statistically significant results. With our sampling rate, that should take less than two weeks.

Message 157 of 1,018
latest reply

any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact the seller's standing.

I'm sure everyone here feels greatly comforted by those words. 

Message 158 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@octochick wrote:

@jeff wrote:

This is the very opposite of simplification! How does making the buyer do more work make it a better experience? Then if they miss the very hard to see button all together and later find an issue that was fully disclosed in the description they never saw, whose fault is that? And how will that improve their buying experience?

Keep it simple for the buyers! That is the key!! And please stop experimenting with our listings that we pay for and for many of us pay our bills! We are not lab rats. 

It's a test. We'll see if having a consistent experience between the platforms has any impact or not. Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact th seller's standing.

It's a test with our businesses and paychecks on the line. Yesterday when I opened one of my listings to see what the commotion was all about, I was not happy with what I saw. What made it worse, was when I opened the description box and then closed it and my listing page closed with it. Already an error at my expense.

Message 159 of 1,018
latest reply

@holidayshopper201 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

From a buyer's point of view, I HATE IT! 

Buyers DO NOT like this experience.

As I've already posted, browsers have built in pop-up blockers for a reason - people HATE pop-ups!  Who at eBay thought this was a good idea? It's inefficient and inconvenient. And those are the kindest words I can use.

Please, please don't do this to the computer version of the site. 

Now, how do I opt-out??

As a buyer, you may be able to opt out by clearing your cookies or changing your browser or device. Users who are selected for the test are selected randomly, so by clearing your cookies or using a different browser or device, you'll be randomly assigned or not assigned to the test.

If you have feedback on the new design, you can click on the "tell us what you think" link beneath the item description button.

Message 160 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@octochick wrote:

@jeff wrote:

This is the very opposite of simplification! How does making the buyer do more work make it a better experience? Then if they miss the very hard to see button all together and later find an issue that was fully disclosed in the description they never saw, whose fault is that? And how will that improve their buying experience?

Keep it simple for the buyers! That is the key!! And please stop experimenting with our listings that we pay for and for many of us pay our bills! We are not lab rats. 

No doubt a buyer would have to post FB that said "I didn't read the description" in order for that to occur.

Message 161 of 1,018
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

You mean the same app that show Free Shipping on listings with shipping charged? The app that does't show any relevant info until you click stupid buttons? The app that has BID/BIN without requiring the user to even CLICK on description or to show more photos?

That app?

In 40+ years of programming everything you can imagine any way possible, this change is the one that would put me over the top where I would recommend firing the entire IT staff from the top down and starting fresh.

I'm not aware of the Free Shipping issue you're describing. I know there was an issue last week that we corrected. Is that the issue you're describing. Is it still happening to anyone?

Message 162 of 1,018
latest reply

What is really surprising is that they are conducting this test now.  You would think something like this would have been done at a more convenient time...  like the end of last year, during the busy holiday shopping season.

The traditional time for screwing around with things.

Message 163 of 1,018
latest reply

"Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact the seller's standing."

Ya know, might ebay take it one logical step further : Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact th seller's standing.

Message 164 of 1,018
latest reply

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

I spend so much time writing descriptions and taking great pictures. Loading them to the web, writing the HTML. I’m kind of heartbroken that the listing page looks so bad now.

I just listed 2 antiques for more than a hundred each – who the heck is going to continue buying that kind of piece when the listing page is so ugly and difficult to read?

I just clicked on a few of your listings and they looked great.   Could somebody click on one of mine and tell me if description is gone?

Message 165 of 1,018
latest reply