cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you list an item for buy it now $0.00?

Instead of throwing out items in the trash, can you give them away by listing them at $0.00?

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

I believe the minimum is 1 cent.

Would zero vs. one cent sway your decision?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 2 of 43
latest reply

Go for the gold! Grab life by the loins! List it for 1 cent.

ETA: Or how about donating rather than adding to our increasing landfill?

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 43
latest reply

Instead of throwing out items in the trash, can you give them away by listing them at $0.00?

I did a test and while you cannot use $0 as others mentioned you can list for $.01. However, I would not advise using free shipping. 

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

If all your stuff is media @scott-vf why not donate to the local library? They often accept media for their book sales.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 43
latest reply

IIRC, the minimum price for a fixed price listing is 99 cents, so if one cent doesn't work  you could try that.   

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

Maybe you're better starting an auction at 1c.  Never know what that junk is worth.  Of course, add shipping extra.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

How much would eBay's final value fee be on your one cent sale?

Who pays shipping?

Do you have no other outlet like Goodwill or other thrift stores? Advertise freebies in your local paper?

Put it out on the curb with a sign "FREE"? 

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Depends on how much the shipping cost will be. 

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

You can always donate it to the Goodwill or a Rescue Mission. 

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

You are right. Like they say, Another man's junk is another man's treasure. 

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

How much would eBay's final value fee be on your one cent sale?

Who pays shipping?

Do you have no other outlet like Goodwill or other thrift stores? Advertise freebies in your local paper?

Put it out on the curb with a sign "FREE"? 

Interesting thought here. Obviously eBay is going to charge the FVF on the total and if the buyer is paying retail shipping cost which is more than the actual in most cases that extra is going to cover the eBay fee. Now we get to the end of the year and seller sells 100 items at $.01 but buyers have paid over $600 in shipping costs so seller has potentially exceeded the 1099 reporting threshold and receives a 1099 so income needs to be reported on taxes. Not a major problem but if the buyer has receipts for any of the items they sold at a loss this has the potential to be a major write off that may help offset any other tax liabilities. Of course the IRS is going to limit the seller to the number of years they can do that before they classify them as a hobby seller. 

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

a new feature of the American roadside are what appear to be yard sales are actually freebie tables -  giving stuff away on the edge of the property.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@deltilogical wrote:

a new feature of the American roadside are what appear to be yard sales are actually freebie tables -  giving stuff away on the edge of the property.

That's a longstanding feature in the area where I live, especially for larger items like furniture or those big plastic Little Tykes tables, etc.  Once in a while the local Facebook or Nextdoor group will have a forlorn post regarding something that somebody left on their front lawn which got taken accidentally as a presumed giveaway!  The cultural norm is to have a sign which says "Free. Do not take the table." I think it evolved out of people who actually had yard sales, then put the leftovers out for free.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

I've been giving away stuff on FB marketplace.  Works great!

Message 15 of 43
latest reply