cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants a partial refund because he said that the phone has other damages that I didn’t know of.

So I’m really new to eBay and I sold my 2nd item which was an iPhone. The buyer had recently been telling me that he needs a partial refund because he had seen other damages on the phone that I didn’t know of. I said the description that the phone is “as is” so I really need help. I don’t want to get in really big trouble in eBay so any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Buyer wants a partial refund because he said that the phone has other damages that I didn’t know of.

There is no such thing as 'as is' on Ebay. If he opens a case for not as described, respond to it immediately, if Ebay steps in, they will refund him without having him return the phone, and you will get a defect too. You can decide then if you want to do a partial, or provide a return label for him to return the phone. Then refund after return.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I never give partial refunds on something like this.
Why would some money back make the phone work better?

They just don't want to pay full price. 
I have them send it back for a full refund, sometimes they will most times they won't.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

First off, "as is" means nothing on eBay, so you may as well forget about saying that.

Tell the buyer to open an item not as described case, then send him a label to return it.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

As is is meaningless. Everything sold is as is or else it's  as isn't. 

However, this is ridiculous. The buyer is a scammer. What don't  they understand? When you list a phone for parts/ not working you do not have to know what's  wrong with it,  why it isn't working or what it will take to fix it. Thus, for parts/not working. They can use parts of the phone to fix other phones.  Kinda like a parts car. You buy a non working car to have on hand for spare parts for your car.  Same principal.

The bad thing is eBay used to not honor returns  for parts or not working category if you called them after a case was opened. They would close it in the seller's favor. If they attempted to repair it then that was considered altering it and wouldn't let them return it.

They don't do that anymore. If fact they'll let the scammer keep it if you don't  provide a refund or a return label and refund when it's returned.

How much partial refund are they trying to extort from you? If it's  less than the shipping both ways give them the partial refund. If not then tell them you don't give partial refunds  and please return it for a full refund. Then pray you get the phone back in the same condition you sent it and not an empty box.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@avelam25 

Try this:  

Dear buyer, 

Sorry you are not pleased with your purchase.  Please return it for a full refund.

Sincerely, 
You

As they say "rinse and repeat as needed" ^^^^^^^^^^

You appear to be a "newish" seller, and IPhone sales are often problematic here.  You need not do anything else until the buyer files an eBay case, and you are under no obligation to tell them how to do it.  Looks like the typical "tree shaker", i.e. shaking you down to see what falls out as in a partial refund.  It is especially effective on new sellers who may live in fear of a negative review and will cave at the first sign of buyer dissatisfaction. 

Just curious.  To what city/state did you ship this product?  

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@bonjourami @fab_finds4u 

Sorry, to clarify, he has the phone fixed and wants to keep it but demands to have a partial refund because he “spent” a lot of money  to fix it and he thought it would go cheaper but I said everything that I know about the phone’s condition in the description. I asked no returns in the description as well and listed the phone as parts or repair.

@ittybitnot I sent it to Miami Florida

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@avelam25 wrote:

Sorry to clarify, he has the phone fixed and wants to keep it but demands to have a partial refund because he “spent” a lot of money and he thought it would go cheaper but I said everything that I know about the phone’s condition in the description.

That's HIS problem- not yours. Buyers don't have the right to 'buy something, have it fixed and then give the seller the bill'....which is exactly what they are doing.

You either ignore or tell them this:

"You can return it for a full refund but I don't pay for 'repairs' unless I am notified BEFORE they are done and have the opportunity to 'agree' first, therefore all you can do at this time is return it for full refund :but note that it does need to match the serial number that I recorded for it- Thanks"

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@bonjourami @fab_finds4u 

Sorry, to clarify, he has the phone fixed and wants to keep it but demands to have a partial refund because he “spent” a lot of money  to fix it and he thought it would go cheaper but I said everything that I know about the phone’s condition in the description. I asked no returns and listed the phone as parts or repair.

Is this by chance the address of a freight forwarder? If so the MBG does not apply once the item arrives at the FF. Guessing the buyer is international and they are phishing for a discount. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I sent it to Miami Florida

@avelam25 

As @dbfolks166mt suggests, Google the address and see if it is a freight forwarder/industrial park.  There are plenty of them in that area.  Should your buyer file a claim, you need to inform eBay that you have an issue with same.  They are not supposed to be able to file eBay claims, but eBay allows them to anyway, treats them like any other sale, and hopes you don't know any better.    

You can also see if your buyer is registered in another country.  If they have Zero feedback, enter the ID on this page, and it will show the country of registration because you will not be able to access the information otherwise: 

https://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/feedback-login.html

Should they file a claim, you need to contact eBay Customer Service PREFERABLY as soon as it happens via one of their social media portals, to hopefully avoid what typically happens next (fake tracking return scam).  Regular customer service that you get in a call back or chat, are not too useful, and will refund the buyer if they use a label you provide for a return and alter the address while still retaining the tracking barcode, or ship a cheap trinket to you or your local gas station to satisfy the return with a different label altogether. 

To contact a US CS agent that has the authority to help you use the blue message button on this page: 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

OR

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Do come back any time for additional information should you need it.  In the meantime, you can read about the typical activity that involves eBay + Iphone (or other high end item) + freight forwarder and see how this may play out if you are not prepared should the transaction go south.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-using-USPS-return-scam-Ebay-decided-case-in-buyers-favor...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Getting-screwed-over-for-months-as-a-seller-on-on-an-blatant/m...

The above links are just two.  This same scam goes back years here.  Know that you are not alone, and should they file an eBay claim, it can be dispensed with.  

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

IMG_0260.jpeg@ittybitnot

@dbfolks166mt  

I looked up his address and seems like it is an industrial park (shown in the picture). The item has already arrived there and USPS showed it was delivered BY an agent. Do I really have to report this as soon as possible?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I looked up his address and seems like it is an industrial park (shown in the picture). The item has already arrived there and USPS showed it was delivered BY an agent. Do I really have to report this as soon as possible?

This looks like a freight forwarder. Follow ittybitnot advice since he provided it before I was able to and I thank them for that. 

🙂

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

As-Is means something if your listing states that the item doesn't work/for parts only or it is untested and you don't know if it works or not. You just need to be clear in the listing.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@avelam25 wrote:

@bonjourami @fab_finds4u 

Sorry, to clarify, he has the phone fixed and wants to keep it but demands to have a partial refund because he “spent” a lot of money  to fix it and he thought it would go cheaper but I said everything that I know about the phone’s condition in the description. I asked no returns in the description as well and listed the phone as parts or repair.

Unless I am wrong this one should be an easy win for you.

Here is my recommendation:

* Keep ALL documentation, especially messages.
* Either tell the buyer to "please return item for a refund" OR keep radio silence.
 - Do NOT engage in any conversation with the buyer other than "return for refund" or stay completely quiet.
* Should the buyer open a case (or a return) I would then contact Facebook Ebay for business and let them know that this phone has been ALTERED! and if you need to accept the return or what do they suggest you do?

Because to my recollection, once an item has been ALTERED it becomes the buyer's and they have no further recourse against you. The fact the buyer fixed it (or had it fixed) means the buyer ALTERED the item and that makes it ineligible for a return! Yes, the buyer can still open a return but a review by a qualified agent should be sufficient to get the return closed in your favor. So keeping the messages (especially the one where the buyer tells you about fixing it) would be crucial, you may even indicate to the qualified agent that the buyer informed you they had the phone fixed in messages (and does this qualify as altering the item?).

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Unless I am wrong this one should be an easy win for you.

Here is my recommendation:

* Keep ALL documentation, especially messages.
* Either tell the buyer to "please return item for a refund" OR keep radio silence.
 - Do NOT engage in any conversation with the buyer other than "return for refund" or stay completely quiet.
* Should the buyer open a case (or a return) I would then contact Facebook Ebay for business and let them know that this phone has been ALTERED! and if you need to accept the return or what do they suggest you do?

This went through a freight forwarder and the buyer lost their MBG coverage when the item arrived at the FF in Miami. There is NO reason for the OP to offer a return and refund that is opening Pandora's box.

Because to my recollection, once an item has been ALTERED it becomes the buyer's and they have no further recourse against you. The fact the buyer fixed it (or had it fixed) means the buyer ALTERED the item and that makes it ineligible for a return! Yes, the buyer can still open a return but a review by a qualified agent should be sufficient to get the return closed in your favor. So keeping the messages (especially the one where the buyer tells you about fixing it) would be crucial, you may even indicate to the qualified agent that the buyer informed you they had the phone fixed in messages (and does this qualify as altering the item?).

Message 15 of 18
latest reply