cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer left a false negative (confirmed)!

7F54EA2F-008D-40A9-81A5-5285239592B4.jpeg

 This is a follow-up from my previous post. I emailed eBay to have the negative feedback removed, but no luck as others said eBay is on the buyer's side. During this event, I contacted the buyer to request a picture of the incorrect item that was sent. Neither less to say I was right, he attempted to scam me! But luckily? I set the listing with no return accepted policy so he wouldn't be able to open an INAD against me. At this point, should I continue fighting to have the negative removed or move on and reply to the buyer's comment, which is calling out him as a scammer? 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Buyer left a false negative (confirmed)!

If the feedback doesn't meet any of the items that eBay lists as feedback violations, they won't remove it.  When a seller says a buyer is lying, it essentially turns into a he said/she said argument and eBay isn't going to get in the middle of it.  Even if you have pictures, they won't remove it.  They aren't taking sides, they just aren't going to take one side over the other.  They put in a response option for sellers so they can tell their side of the story and let future buyers decide who they believe.  

A well crafted non-emotional and non-accusitory response will make future buyers comfortable with you.  Calling the buyer a 'scammer' in your response will not help your case and will turn buyers off.  Just say the buyer mistakenly confused your order with a different order and move on.

Oh, and listing an item as "no returns" does not keep buyers from filing a INAD claim.  They can file a claim for anything that the MBG covers regardless of your return policy.  All a no return policy does is keeps the buyer from having to return an item after a claim is granted.  You still will be forced to refund the full amount, you just won't get the item back.  No returns does not mean no refunds.  

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

The pictures prove nothing..........you could have used your  "seller" watch picture in the listing, yet mailed the watch in "buyer" watch picture..........ebay has no way to tell......  If the buyer starts an INAD claim, you will lose. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

But luckily? I set the listing with no return accepted policy so he wouldn't be able to open an INAD against me

You are mistaken. "No returns" does not prevent an INAD.

I emailed eBay to have the negative feedback removed, but no luck as others said eBay is on the buyer's side

eBay has no idea whether you actually sent the watch you pictured in your listing. In fact, one of the reasons INADs exist is to prevent sellers from advertising one item and shipping another.

At this point, should I continue fighting to have the negative removed

IMHO there is no point in fighting to remove a negative that does not qualify for removal.

or move on and reply to the buyer's comment, which is calling out him as a scammer?

IMHO accusing buyers of being scammers does not reflect well on you as a seller.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Sorry for your dilemma. Your no return policy can be trumped by Ebay policy and anyone using a credit card. If you would have issued a return, received the item back you would have some recourse in adjusting the refund & fighting this battle. If you do nothing Ebay will step in and basically fighting the battle at that point will be useless. If you want to continue the "fight" with Ebay that's fine as I would use the Facebook Ebay business for discussion. The big question here, how would Ebay know if you sent the right or wrong item? It's a catch 22, unfortunately the whole situation is unfair. 

Have you viewed the feedback left for others from the buyer? Are they going negative with other sellers?

When you go negative on a buyer, your reply, that is not positive regardless of the situation. Sometimes it's better just to walk away than to call someone out. The more you sell, your feedback percentage will go up as this is what happens to low volume sellers, your feedback rating takes a nosedive.  My suggestion is to report the buyer to Ebay and move on. 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Why didn’t the buyer open a INDA in the first place instead of leaving the negative  without contacting me? 

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

as I said in the other post about this I think if you are trying to prevent bad feedback then its best to have free returns

I am a TRS+ seller and having 30 days free return smooths over all of the rough edges

I hate to say this but return abuse goes hand in hand with feedback abuse

you have to put up with a certain amount of abuse as a an ebay seller

switching to 30 day free returns has given me a real sense of piece of mind

I just dont get worked up anymore about a return

@dstyletique 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Here's your previous post:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-left-a-false-negative-feedback/td-p/33916884

Everything you were told then still applies.

-

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@dstyletique wrote:

Why didn’t the buyer open a INDA in the first place instead of leaving the negative  without contacting me? 

Maybe he just hasn't gotten around to the INAD yet, or does not think he can file one.  You would have to ask the buyer why the buyer did what he did. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@dstyletique wrote:

Possibly, because the buyer is inexperienced and actually believed that your No Returns policy is valid. 

Perhaps, because the buyer is experienced and knows that a seller with a No Returns policy will be hard to deal with, even though the policy is not enforceable, and decided that it wasn't worth the hassle for 30 bucks.

-

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@dstyletique wrote:

Maybe the buyer was as confused about what your no return policy means as you are.   It only applies to remorse returns.  The buyer is still free to file not as described and you can choose to have your watch returned for a refund or you can just refund and they keep the watch.

Personally, I can see why the buyer might think those watches aren't the same.  I can't see that blue color around the edge in your photo that shows in the second one.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

I took your advice and copied the same reply “buyer mistakenly confused your order with a different order and move on.”

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@lonebuck-books wrote:

If the feedback doesn't meet any of the items that eBay lists as feedback violations, they won't remove it.  When a seller says a buyer is lying, it essentially turns into a he said/she said argument and eBay isn't going to get in the middle of it.  Even if you have pictures, they won't remove it.  They aren't taking sides, they just aren't going to take one side over the other.  They put in a response option for sellers so they can tell their side of the story and let future buyers decide who they believe.  

A well crafted non-emotional and non-accusitory response will make future buyers comfortable with you.  Calling the buyer a 'scammer' in your response will not help your case and will turn buyers off.  Just say the buyer mistakenly confused your order with a different order and move on.

Oh, and listing an item as "no returns" does not keep buyers from filing a INAD claim.  They can file a claim for anything that the MBG covers regardless of your return policy.  All a no return policy does is keeps the buyer from having to return an item after a claim is granted.  You still will be forced to refund the full amount, you just won't get the item back.  No returns does not mean no refunds.  

Not quite. If a buyer opens a claim, the item still has to be returned, no returns policy or not. All a no returns policy means us you can decline remorse returns. INADs still need to be returned to get a refund. 

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Are you sure those are the same watches?  None of your photos show the white ring around the display or the blue ring.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@doc-holmes wrote:

@lonebuck-books wrote:

Not quite. If a buyer opens a claim, the item still has to be returned, no returns policy or not. All a no returns policy means us you can decline remorse returns. INADs still need to be returned to get a refund. 

Not quite.........if the seller doesn't answer the claim with the "return for refund" option checked, or the seller "lets ebay handle it".........the item doesn't have to be returned for the buyer to get a refund........  Letting ebay handle it, gives a refund to the buyer, lets him keep the item,  and gives a "without seller resolution" defect from ebay to the seller.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply