cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bogus return as wrong item sent, why doesn't eBay help sellers out with these?

I have a buyer who ordered two sets of Pair of Thieves socks from me.  He opened a return as "wrong item sent" and uploaded two photos.  Both photos match exactly what the listing shows, however, he destroyed the packaging.  So now I will not be able to resell these, they will have to be thrown  away.  Ebay says I have to have them ship it back, which is another $10, not including the $10 I used to ship them the item.  So I'm out $20, the socks, and I get an item not as described ding on my metric all because someone bought the wrong socks.  When a buyer uploads photos and they can be compared with the original listing, why doesn't eBay stand by the seller?   Even with free returns, it doesn't mean they can send back used items and choose the incorrect reason why.  Such a waste of money and resources for absolutly no reason.  My only recourse is to report them and block them.  It's super easy for an eBay rep to look at the return pictures and see that they are mistaken.  Other venues offer this service.  Why require a photo if nothing will be done about it?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Bogus return as wrong item sent, why doesn't eBay help sellers out with these?

Just went through this fake "wrong item sent" claim myself. 🙄

Report buyer, deduct 50% on return for the damaged unsellable item, show pics of returned item along with screenshot of listing to show the correct item was sent/returned, and you should get $6 credit towards return label.

It's still a loss and it still really sucks, but not as bad as refunding in full.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Bogus return as wrong item sent, why doesn't eBay help sellers out with these?

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Just went through this fake "wrong item sent" claim myself. 🙄

Report buyer, deduct 50% on return for the damaged unsellable item, show pics of returned item along with screenshot of listing to show the correct item was sent/returned, and you should get $6 credit towards return label.

Or, since it sounds like a 'low dollar' thing....the Seller does NOT have to pay 'return shipping' and simply 'refund'. 

Not great, but nothing can be done. 

@spreadlovelikefire wondering why ebay does nothing? Because they have NO WAY of knowing what you REALLY sent. 

It's a 'he said/she said' and buyers have a 30 Day MBG- so you lose. But, as suggested, refund 50% (if you can) or just refund and save the return shipping $$. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

It actually wasn't a low dollar item.  He ordered two sets, each set was $33.  So it's $66 for both sets.  

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

It's actually not a he said/she said when the buyer uploads photos into the return that match the listing. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@spreadlovelikefire wrote:

I have a buyer who ordered two sets of Pair of Thieves socks from me.  He opened a return as "wrong item sent" and uploaded two photos.  Both photos match exactly what the listing shows, however, he destroyed the packaging.  So now I will not be able to resell these, they will have to be thrown  away.  Ebay says I have to have them ship it back, which is another $10, not including the $10 I used to ship them the item.  So I'm out $20, the socks, and I get an item not as described ding on my metric all because someone bought the wrong socks.  When a buyer uploads photos and they can be compared with the original listing, why doesn't eBay stand by the seller?   Even with free returns, it doesn't mean they can send back used items and choose the incorrect reason why.  Such a waste of money and resources for absolutly no reason.  My only recourse is to report them and block them.  It's super easy for an eBay rep to look at the return pictures and see that they are mistaken.  Other venues offer this service.  Why require a photo if nothing will be done about it?

Confused as you have FREE returns anyway, so you would be paying 'return shipping' cost regardless of 'reason' of return. 

As far as 'packaging' I guess it would just depend on 'how destroyed' you are talking as I've seen many items hanging in stores that are 'obvious' returns with a bit of 'tape' putting the 'package back together'. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Per the pictures he uploaded, the packaging isn't salvageable.   Yes, I would be paying for the return anyway but I would be receiving items back that I could sell, not a pile of socks without packaging that have to be thrown away.  

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

It's actually not a he said/she said when the buyer uploads photos into the return that match the listing. 

Not that this is a wonderful thing- don't get me wrong- but doing 2 things;

Playing Devils advocate

Playing 'this is a site that has well over 1,000,000 transactions a day and cannot POSSIBLY 'look' at every situation- so it's 'automated' (as are all large sites) so........

If pictures were of the items 'open' and packaging 'trashed'...then it's NOT what was 'listed' and therefore 'not as described' (I know buyer did it, You know buyer did it, but NOBODY can prove it)

Anyway- you do 10's of $1000's a month...$66 is low; compared to those that sell $2000 Cameras, Laptops, $1200 phones and get a 'rock' as a return- $66 is low. No different than the 1% 'shrink' that any store would be held as a hero if they keep at 'below 1%' (theft, various damage etc.) 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

not a pile of socks without packaging that have to be thrown away.

Welllll... you could wear them yourself.

Or donate them to a homeless shelter.

Remember the amount you are out is your shipping and handling costs, plus eBay fees if not refunded.

Not the amount the buyer paid for the socks.

I wonder though, why if one pair of socks was not acceptable, would they open the other pair too?

I agree the scammer is looking for free socks.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Buyer isn't claiming that I sent him open socks, he is claiming I sent him the wrong item as he wanted solid black socks and he received striped socks as shown in the listing.  He tore open both packages and took pictures.  As if you couldn't tell prior to doing that, because you can see them in the photos.  $66 is a lot for my family.  I'm a disabled Veteran, $66 means food on the table for my family.  I don't sell cameras and laptops for a reason, so not sure why you are comparing that to this.  So just because I'm being screwed over by someone who is costing me $66, that isn't worth it to you because it's not a $1200 computer?  

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

An interesting survey of one seller's failed transactions over the past several years.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/RICARMICs-Self-insurance-cookie-jar-statistics-to-end-of...

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It was two large packages of socks that each contained 10-pair.  He opened both packages, tore up the packages to take pictures.  Not sure why he did this.  I can't donate them because I'm not sure if they have been worn, and I'm not in the market for wearing used socks.  I am out $20 for shipping both ways and $66 for both packages of socks.  If I deduct the 50%, he gets rewarded for doing this, I get to pay $56 to throw away some socks.  Sounds like a great deal!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

An interesting survey of one seller's failed transactions over the past several years.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/RICARMICs-Self-insurance-cookie-jar-statistics-to-end-of...

@reallynicestamps 

I agree! cookie jar for the win!! 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

It was two large packages of socks that each contained 10-pair.  He opened both packages, tore up the packages to take pictures.  Not sure why he did this.  I can't donate them because I'm not sure if they have been worn, and I'm not in the market for wearing used socks.  I am out $20 for shipping both ways and $66 for both packages of socks.  If I deduct the 50%, he gets rewarded for doing this, I get to pay $56 to throw away some socks.  Sounds like a great deal!

It's going to be really obvious if they were worn.

Anyway, I'm sorry this happened. I tried to resolve something like this through eBay's facebook 'help' and they were worse than useless, but you can still try.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

There's a sold listing for a 8 pair bundle that's black as you look at the package (also only has "black" in the title description). You have to make it down to picture 2 to see a side view of the stripes as well as read the item specifics to see they're multi-colored. Not sure if these are the ones you're talking about but did notice the seller was from your town/state. 

All that to say this . . . buyers are known for not reading all details as well as not examining all pictures. If this is the transaction you're referencing, the buyer probably saw "black" in description and first picture and bought. Not sure why he opened both packages.  Maybe he tossed them to his kid and the kid did it.  I've bought open packages of socks before.  There are us buyers out there that would buy them. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply