cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you going with 30 day buyer pays return or no returns?

I will probably stay with 30 day buyer pays returns for two months.  Then I am tempted to try no returns and see what happens.  I really wish they would keep 14 day returns.

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Are you going with 30 day buyer pays return or no returns?

@tamaralea wrote:

I will probably stay with 30 day buyer pays returns for two months.  Then I am tempted to try no returns and see what happens.  I really wish they would keep 14 day returns.

I'm continuing with 30 day buyer pays returns. I won't go with no returns because that basically means if there's any perceived issue, I don't want the item back. I would rather decide on a case by case basis to refund without a return if it's not worth my trouble to get the item back and relist it.

As for the free returns... I see that opening the doors to major abuse. If we offer free returns, how many buyers will pick up a bunch of items from our store to look at them all in person and then decide which ones to send back. IMO, if I'm making you pay to send it back if you don't like it, you'll probably consider your purchase carefully before you hit "buy it now".

Cheers, C.

Message 16 of 49
latest reply

When people are buying an item with just a picture, and cannot really feel it ,taste it, try it on, turn the power on, etc, they do not feel too confident buying when a seller has no returns on the listing. Technology needs to advance with all the sensory experiences and /or virtual reality for people to trust a no return option, even then, they probably want to know they can return it. Factor in your current return rates on your specific items, and do the math. Then decide what to do for the free ship back.

Message 17 of 49
latest reply

I am concerned for some folks who sell items that people just want to rent and send back. That is the form of return abuse this might increase. But, that being said, most people do not buy to rent they buy to own.

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

30 days...buyer pays
...and no GD
I have a solid rep...9000+, 100%, 5's across the board.
"Fast Shipping" is in about 1/2 my feedback...GD is a GIVEN.
Message 19 of 49
latest reply

Wow 6 years of free returns we are just starting to try that out.  Not sure how it will work but I think it depends on what you sell.

Message 20 of 49
latest reply

I sell in mostly collectibles and I offer 30 day and free returns. On collectibles, no one has tried to return anything. On jewelry, they do. I had one girl who bought a Rhodonite pendant from me at Valentine's Day. I had a big sale on jewelry as I needed to move some before eBay would up my limits. So I put a ton on sale, most of it barely covering shipping.

She bought the pendant for $2.49 and free shipping. In other words, I paid her to take it. She left glowing feedback. 2 months later (I used to offer the 60 day returns, no more!), I get a message come in at 1:00 AM, all it says was, "I didn't know it was so small."

Had no clue who this was until I dug through my sold items. Almost 60 days to the minute, she wrote me. Yep, she was on the 'rent this item until the guarantee is up and return it" plan.

I always have all measurements in my ads so I asked her if she read that it was 1" x 1". She said NO. I told her there was nothing I could do (why would I want too?), she said she hated it and was giving it away. Good for her, it was a lovely pendant.

I have sold a lot of kids Disney and Barbie clothes, mostly for toddlers. None of those items have ever been returned. Part of me is expecting it at some point, but so far, nothing. It's bad with jewelry buyers though. They are on the rent and return plan. I am getting out of jewelry.

After thinking it over, a lot, I decided to stick with my 30 day free returns because the percentage of people who try this with me is low. I believe it is better to be trusted by the buyers than put up barriers that suggest you do not want their business. Plenty of them will move to the next listing that does offer returns and 30 days. I play the odds, and so far it is working fine.

We are in a huge, competitive market that is only getting harder to stay afloat in. I don't think we should let buyers and eBay scare us into a defensive position. Most people I sell to have been fine. I don't want to penalize those people for the few who are thieves. The thieves and con artists are everywhere, not just online. Brick and Mortar stores would go under if they refused returns and had poor guarantees. eBay covers the buyers anyway, so why not offer up what helps a sale?

I keep all negative things off my ads, and try to be very welcoming. I don't sell something that I worry someone will give me issues over. If I wouldn't buy it, I don't sell it. If it is something highly collectible but in not the best shape, I photograph and describe every issue. It may loose me a sale, but that's what it should do. Better to loose a sale upfront than deal with afterwards.

It must be a nightmare in clothing. If they are anything like the jewelry buyers, my heart goes out to you. I would still offer free returns though, I think you lose more sales from good buyers when they see you do not back up what you sell. If you buy something, don't you want to know it is guaranteed to work and be as described and you can return it if it is not correct?
I sure do, although I am not someone who returns things unless they are seriously messed up.

One thought. Women shoppers are the hardest customers to deal with. Costco actually changed what kind of clothes it sells in it's huge warehouse stores. Used to be heavy women's clothing, they have scaled it back and have more men's clothing. The reason? The were sick of women returning things. Men do not do it nearly as much. I am concentrating on items men buy, much easier. Most of my scammers have been women too. It used to be that online shopping was mostly women, that is no longer true. Men are shopping in greater numbers than ever before, especially with all the shows that promote collecting and reselling. You know the shows.
Message 21 of 49
latest reply

I currently offering 14 day returns with no restocking fee. I am very unhappy about ebay forcing me to offer 30 days. I am condifering going with no returns or 30 day buyer pays PLUS 10% restocking fee. Seriously, does ebay think 30 day returns will create more sales? LOL! I did twice as much business years ago when I offered 3 day returns. Ebay forced me to offer 14 day returns and my sales have decreased every year since.  Ebay has no clue how to bring buyers to the site.

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

I will stay with 30 day, buyer pays return shipping.  Unfortunately I will lose my TRS+ badge.  When I tried 60 day free returns, I started getting many returns saying things like "bought by mistake" whereas before I usually only had returns when something was damaged in shipping which I am going to pay anyway.

Also, I am considering going from 1 to 2 day handling time since I am going to lose my TRS+ status anyway.  I live on the east coast, so if something sells at 2:59 AM my time while I'm sleeping, I have to ship it out that day before 5 pm my time anyway.  I am beating myself up for no real reason...

DJ

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

I've always had a stated no returns policy - that doesn't mean I won't accept a return especially if I made an error in the listing.  I get very few return requests, but  I just want the choice of accepting a return or issuing a full or partial refund without the item being returned.  

Message 24 of 49
latest reply

I plan to stick with 30 days/buyer pays.  I rarely get SNAD cases and my return rate is a little over 1% so it isn't necessarily an issue, but frankly I'm tired of toeing the line every time the brain trust decides to create another hoop for sellers to jump through.  Making the return process completely buyer-centric is the last straw for me and I'm convinced it's going to create some pretty terrible buyers. 

Since I'm going to lose the TRS+ badge anyway, I'm also going to increase my handling time to 3 days.  Knowing full well I'll probably still ship within one business day but that will be for my customers and not eBay.  The 10% FVF discount is negligible and the commercial plus rate for printing shipping labels here is nothing to write home about either.  Theoretically the downgrade may end up being more money out of my pocket but the stress relief from meeting "on time" tracking uploads, scans, and delivery will more than make up for it.

Even if I was 100% certain nothing would change, this time I refuse to obey. 

Joe

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

I'm sticking with 30 day returns, and I won't do free returns. I only went to 30 days when they required it to keep the TRS+ discount. IMO, 14 days is enough time to figure out if the item will work for you.

If ebay wants to offer free returns, they can do it on their dime, not mine.

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

As a seller of used items, I have used,  "No returns," and will continue.  I know I have to take a return if someone claims SNAD, but that is not very often, and it is one barrier against people looking to buy used items to exchange parts and send me back the left-over junk.  Having a "no returns" policy absolutely should remain an option for sellers!  One business model does not fit all.

Message 27 of 49
latest reply

I'll be moving to 30 days with seller paying return shipping.  Getting burned just once as a seller will change that. 

Someone upstream questioned why a seller is not confident in the product they are selling.  It is not lack of confidence in the product.  It is lack of confidence in the quality of some dishonest buyers/scammers that use the site. 

Message 28 of 49
latest reply

You hit that on the nail when it comes to jewelry and clothing. Due to fit issues and in clothing - there are many more returns even with detailed and photographic measurments. Most buyers don't read or think they may be smaller than they actually are. Since clothing differs in size due to cut, style ect... buying clothing online is risky and always has been. The majority of my middle school / high school clothing came from Sears catalog - and yet back then there were few items that needed to be returned. 

Many clothing sellers that I see on the FB groups have had increased returns due to offering free returns - a seller may have more confidence in me but it also allows them to buy multiple items and then pick and choose what they want to keep and send the rest back on my dime. There is currently an e-commerce site who's main gimmick is that - but don't think the buyers are paying Ebay prices for that service!

Message 29 of 49
latest reply

I've been at 14-days for 2 years and have debated on "no returns" or "30-days buyer pays".   When I was TRS prior to that, I had to offer 30-days returns.   My return rate since I started selling is 0.05% out of roughly 3000 transactions, so I could choose either policy, but if accepting returns instills buyer confidence, then I'll just keep it.   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 30 of 49
latest reply