cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Oct 11th @ 1pm PT - Structured Data

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join us on Wed Oct 11 @ 1 pm PT for a Community chat on the topic of Structured Data. eBay experts will be on hand to answer any question you might have. 

See you then! grin

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: Community Chat, Oct 11th @ 1pm PT - Structured Data

It would have been nice in the beginning of this chat if we knew you were only interested in those items you call "structured." I need biggg help with other items.

Texy

Message 61 of 85
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tealt wrote:

@long_live_the_seller wrote:

To kick off today's chat, I'd love to start with a question for our sellers.

As eBay guides the marketplace through the changes we make to policy and product, what are some of things you as sellers would like to have to help transition your business?

(i.e. A downloadable report in Seller Hub that helps me identify all of the listings that need to be revised.)

When I create a listing, I’d like to know, in the listing process, how many items are currently showing on a “product page” for the item.

Hi tealt, 

Thanks for the input. Can you provide a little more insight into why you feel this feature would be helpful? 

Thanks

Tara

Message 62 of 85
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I had a Halloween item to list. Yankee Candle holder made in 2011

Collectibles > Holiday & Seasonal > Halloween > Current (1991-Now) > Candles & Candleholders

I had the MPN, but there is no place in that category for MPNs ...I did put it in the title, but that didn't get it picked up.

There is a Product page for the item

https://www.ebay.com/p/yankee-candle-boney-bunch-witch-led-globe-halloween-tea-light-holder-2011/140...

That item is in 2 categories from what I can tell......the Halloween one above and Home Decor>candleholders...... and using the MPN in that category gives them the page.

There are 3 others (and have been more at times) that can't get on the Product page because they are listed on what, logically, would seem to be the more correct category.

I submitted this to your people with the suggestion that the Halloween category, since it is post 1991, should have a space for UPCs..... since they may be available to sellers. I was told to list in both categories.

This is no small category.......and a popular one.....why wouldn't it have UPC/MPN options?

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.  I will make sure the team is aware that we can extend the use of this product page to additional categories.  Over time, as we are able to compare item attributes and product identifiers, product pages should automatically merchandise like items in the categories where they are present.

In the meantime, you can submit product suggestions or issues to

dl-ebay-catalogsubmission@ebay.com

Thank you.

Frankly, I can't tell if you understand the issue or not........  Problem is that the CATEGORY has no way to accept the UPC's and MPNS identifiers.

Over time, as we are able to compare item attributes and product identifiers, product pages should automatically merchandise like items in the categories where they are present.

They ain't going to do it.......if sellers can't submit the information.  The longer this goes on in how many categories, the more the catelog is going to be messed up.  Sellers are going to have AGAIN revise listings when and if the category submission info is updated.  Let's use some common sense here.........

Message 63 of 85
latest reply

Does sizes not in the menu for Plus Petites, etc considered "Structured"?

Message 64 of 85
latest reply

Have you considered pulling the entries for UPC, MPN, and such out of the hand entered item specifics and just make them part of every listing page, required when required, optional when optional?

I can't tell you how many different ways I see MPN used when I do a sell similar.  MPN, Man#, PartNo, Manufacturer#, etc, etc.

If you want (useful) structured data you need to have structured input.... just my 2 cents.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 65 of 85
latest reply

Hi, Alan!

When listing clothing, I'm moving from including a list of garment measurements in the body of my description to using Item Specifics, creating new, specific measurements as needed. Since then, I have gotten some buyer questions asking for measurements. Even though they are in the Item Specifics, some customers seem to not be used to looking in that area for them. I'm continuing to put garment measurement in Item Specifics, but am now also directing them to Item Specifics in the body of my listing for measurement. Point being, at some customers are not looking to Item Specifics for measurements. Hopefully, they will ge used to that. Any thoughts?

Regarding preset Item Specifics, I'd like the option to remove or edit some that do not apply to my particular item. For example, I'm listing sweaters right now. One of the Item Specifics is "Sleeve". Some sweaters have raglan sleeves or an extended shoulder line so the "Sleeve" box would not include accurate information in these cases. So, I create my own specific box entitiled "Middle of Neck to End of Sleeve". But I can't remove "Sleeve" as it is static. Also, the "Theme" Category is one I never use and would like to be able to remove or edit it. Same holds true for some of the other Item Specifics.

Thank you.

Message 66 of 85
latest reply

@texanna1 wrote:

It would have been nice in the beginning of this chat if we knew you were only interested in those items you call "structured." I need biggg help with other items.

Texy

Check the first post by Alan.. It clearly says that the chat is about Structured Data

Message 67 of 85
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

It would be helpful I could download a CSV of the Listings or Orders that are currently being viewed, and only include the listings that meet any filter criteria entered.

Thanks for your suggestion dtexley3. We will share you suggestion with the Seller Hub team. 

Tara

Message 68 of 85
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Has any progress been made in the cookbook category?  I believe new listing are still defaulting there?

We are regular looking at suggestions that have been made.  If you have submitted a request to

dl-ebay-catalogsubmission@ebay.com 

but have yet to see adjustments, we may not have had a chance to review your feedback.  If you have greater detail on the change you would like to be made in the cookbook category, feel free to document it here so that I can take it back to the team.

Thank you.

With all respect, many many many sellers have reported issues with teh cookbook category here, on other threads and directly to the catalog link above.  This should not be a new issue being raised, it is a VERY old issue that has yet to be dealt with by Ebay.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 69 of 85
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

If I am using the correct UPC shouldn't that allow my items to be properly put in the catalog or in those "grouped, best picked pages?"

Today I was looking for one of my items and I had the correct UPC in the item and yet, when I searched for the item (a Vera Bradley product) many items came up, and the majority of them did not even match.

That best pick thing had a small wallet, tote bags, purses and accessories.  The only thing in common was the color.  Is that how it is suppose to work?  Why not just those that matched the UPC?

There are a number of ways that we may merchandise a product.  In fashion, if there are a limited number of products listed with the same UPC, we may choose to highlight similar products--perhaps those that buyers have also looked at while searching for Vera Bradley products.

Thank you.

Message 70 of 85
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

When we say structured data, we are looking for commonly used item attributes and the product's GTIN (UPC, ISBN, EAN).

For a list of category requirements, visit ebay.com/requiredidentifiers

Thanks for the link to that page.

Be sure to add your item's brand, manufacturer part number (MPN), and global trade item number (GTIN)—along with item specifics such as size and color

I have never seen a GTN on my clothing/purses/totes

Is that a number that is found on  some items but not others?

I also put sizes in the item specifics ..is that good enough for structured data?

And what about color?  Do I put the color  that the company calls it ls it  (colbalt blue)  or should I use a generic color .  What happens to florals or plaids?  Is multi=color good enough?

@golfingaddict wrote:

When we say structured data, we are looking for commonly used item attributes and the product's GTIN (UPC, ISBN, EAN).

For a list of category requirements, visit ebay.com/requiredidentifiers

Thanks for the link to that page.

Be sure to add your item's brand, manufacturer part number (MPN), and global trade item number (GTIN)—along with item specifics such as size and color

I have never seen a GTN on my clothing/purses/totes

Is that a number that is found on  some items but not others?

I also put sizes in the item specifics ..is that good enough for structured data?

And what about color?  Do I put the color  that the company calls it ls it  (colbalt blue)  or should I use a generic color .  What happens to florals or plaids?  Is multi=color good enough?

Message 71 of 85
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks dhbookds for bringing this item to our attention. We will relay to the catalog team. In the future, if you come across an item that is inaccrately represented in the catalog you can submit feedback to dl-ebay-catalogsubmission@ebay.com. 

Thanks,

Tara

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of these types of errors and you want us to report them one by one?  As stated in the looooong thread on the catelog/UPC issues, eBay needs to invest in one of the existing, maintained UPC databases to seed the catelog.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 72 of 85
latest reply

ebay requires listings in Jewelry Making , beads, findings, etc to be listed with UPC's.

UPC's don't exist for literally billions of these items.

Will listings without UPC's be deleted when the policy is fully implemented?

BonnieJo

Message 73 of 85
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@tealt wrote:

To kick off today's chat, I'd love to start with a question for our sellers.

As eBay guides the marketplace through the changes we make to policy and product, what are some of things you as sellers would like to have to help transition your business?

(i.e. A downloadable report in Seller Hub that helps me identify all of the listings that need to be revised.)

When I create a listing, I’d like to know, in the listing process, how many items are currently showing on a “product page” for the item.

Hi tealt, 

Thanks for the input. Can you provide a little more insight into why you feel this feature would be helpful? 

Thanks

Tara

Because if there are already more than 4-5 items on the product page, I’ll stop listing that item and do another one.

I tried to buy something this morning using the current iteration of a product page with 11 items, and gave up—too much confusion and a cluttered layout.  I’ll wait a few months until the product pages get better.  I hope.

Message 74 of 85
latest reply

I saw that but had no clue what "Structured Data" was. I have UPC's on everything. Should I have just left when my issues are with sizes, etc?
Message 75 of 85
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: