cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay's Managed Payments program.

Ebay is asking for information that even the online bank ING doesn't ask for.

Wary of sending electronic copy of ID because even the NSA has been hacked. There is zero assurance that Ebay will not be hacked and my ID not sold on the dark net. No mention from Ebay to retention policy of photo ID.  What if I move? Would have to give ID info again in the future?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: eBay's Managed Payments program.

@ptosistheseus 

If you don't plan on selling here anymore, you won't have to worry about it.

If you do plan on selling here, you'll have to sign up for Managed Payments providing a regular checking account and the last 4 of your SSN.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Thanks, but they also want the front and back color copy of my ID which is my AZ DL. That is what I'm worried about.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@ptosistheseus wrote:

Thanks, but they also want the front and back color copy of my ID which is my AZ DL. That is what I'm worried about.

if you are concerned about eBay's security policies and protocols surrounding document protection and retention, you will need to address that directly to eBay Customer Service.   This forum is not likely able to address those questions.  

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I doubt that Ebay would be forthcoming on any breach or ransomware information. Usually whenever there is a security breach, nothing is known by the public for months afterwards. It's SOP for most companies to hide any security breaches or ransomware for as long as they can.

Meanwhile the only 'protection' to the consumer is a free service that monitors any changes to the 3 credit bureaus.   Pretty much SOL if someone has your ID, sells it on the dark net and that person commits a crime under you stolen name.  Then, next time get pulled over on the highway for speeding : BAM! Warrant for your arrest in a different state that you've never visited in your life.

Digital Driver's Licenses: Unintended Consequences

Screw Ebay and it's **bleep** policy that ask for more than any online bank such as ING who do NOT ask for a digital copy of prehaps THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of documentation that a person possesses.   When I first got the email notice - I thought it was a phishing scam. I could not believe that an actual reputable company would be so cavalier with millions of people's security and liberty.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@ptosistheseus wrote:

I doubt that Ebay would be forthcoming on any breach or ransomware information. Usually whenever there is a security breach, nothing is known by the public for months afterwards. It's SOP for most companies to hide any security breaches or ransomware for as long as they can.

Meanwhile the only 'protection' to the consumer is a free service that monitors any changes to the 3 credit bureaus.   Pretty much SOL if someone has your ID, sells it on the dark net and that person commits a crime under you stolen name.  Then, next time get pulled over on the highway for speeding : BAM! Warrant for your arrest in a different state that you've never visited in your life.

Screw Ebay and it's **bleep** policy that ask for more than any online bank such as ING who do NOT ask for a digital copy of prehaps THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of documentation that a person possesses.   When I first got the email notice - I thought it was a phishing scam. I could not believe that an actual reputable company would be so cavalier with millions of people's security and liberty.

Companies are required by federal law to report data breaches.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@ptosistheseus 

Don't know if you have any listings now, but if you do.......... end them now.

Once the eBay MP ID request starts that generally puts the seller into MP.

If your info is not updated you will not be able to get paid.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@ptosistheseus wrote:

Based on this, it looks like your risk tolerance is not going to line up with maintaining an account on eBay.  

Good thing is that local purchases with cash are still a thing, so you are good to go. 

Best, 

RCA

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I've no intention of signing up for mangled payments.  Today ebay removed my listings, saving me the trouble. 😉  I had already listed them on another (trustworthy) site that accepts PayPal for sellers and buyers.  

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I have the same opinion as you, because ebay also needs to know who they are working with, such a request is necessary

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@books...forthememories wrote:

I've no intention of signing up for mangled payments.  Today ebay removed my listings, saving me the trouble. 😉  I had already listed them on another (trustworthy) site that accepts PayPal for sellers and buyers.  

@books...forthememories 

What makes Ebay Not "trustworthy"?  The 26 years they have been in existence with NO LOSS of financial information of any members due to a lack of security by Ebay!!!  Is that what you are basing your opinion on?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@ptosistheseus wrote:

As was brought to your attention by another poster is that Ebay is legally required to disclose such information.

It is also important to know that it is usually weeks, not months, for a site to report publicly that there has been a breach of the site, any site.  There is a reason for that.  The thieves that have hacked these sites do NOT send them a notification that they have hacked their account.  No notification is received, the companies have to DISCOVER the breach.  That isn't going to happen instantaneous to the hacking.  That will never happen.  It simply isn't like it is in the movies.

"I could not believe that an actual reputable company would be so cavalier with millions of people's security and liberty."  It is your opinion that anyone that asks for this information must also be "cavalier" with security?  What sense does that make?  And how do you make such a leap?

Would you feel better if Ebay publicly posted every security measure they take to keep your information safe and secure?

If the answer is yes, then all the hackers and thieves would be on your side too.  Because with all that info it will make their lives so much easier to STEAL the information.

As I stated to the other poster, I think that 26 years of Ebay protecting this type of information is a good indication that they are doing a good job.  Ebay has had financial information on many sellers for many years.  Now it is a bit more information for sure due to MP.  But there is no indication that Ebay is either "cavalier" or don't take security seriously.  The ACTUAL FACTS say exactly the opposite.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

All I did was add a bank account, did I mess up? I didn't see where they wanted ID.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@relaxintowealth wrote:

All I did was add a bank account, did I mess up? I didn't see where they wanted ID.

@relaxintowealth 

They don't require it on all sellers.  When they run into an issue with your initial information given, bank routing number, checking account number and SSN, then they ask for more information.  

I too never had to give them a copy of my ID.  Lots of us don't.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@relaxintowealth wrote:

@relaxintowealth 

I didn't have to upload an ID (yet), either... but I opted in over 2 years ago. So far, so good!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply