cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay breaks federal laws with taking ACH payments out of account.

ebay is breaking federal laws taking ACH payments out of bank account with out permission, and just when ever they want. I spoke with the bank today and they said its illegal. On top of that they said to contact the attorney general in California over it, and send them proof.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: eBay breaks federal laws with taking ACH payments out of account.

You agreed to eBay's terms when you attached your bank account and also when you elected to sell on eBay.

Please keep us updated on progress with your AG.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

seems that when I set up my Managed Payments that withdrawing from my checking account was something that I agreed to. YMMV

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@sew_it_seams 

Not illegal as you gave them permission to do so. Go back and read the contract you agreed to when you gave them your bank account information. You gave them power of attorney to deposit and withdrawal funds at any time.

lisa5768
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You agreed to it. 

No fed law broken (if it were, you do NOT contact the State AG- you would have to go Federal)..

but, either way- 

State AG (or Fed AG) will do nothing. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You gave them permission when you signed up for Managed Payments and listed the items.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

When you see the AG make sure have them read the user agreement that you agreed to and How fees and selling costs are charged 
IMG_1321.jpeg

IMG_1318.jpeg

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@sew_it_seams wrote:

ebay is breaking federal laws taking ACH payments out of bank account with out permission, and just when ever they want.

What do you mean whenever they want?

Have they debited your account without cause?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

"ebay is breaking federal laws taking ACH payments out of bank account with out permission, and just when ever they want. I spoke with the bank today and they said its illegal. On top of that they said to contact the attorney general in California over it, and send them proof."

I am constantly amazed at the people who post here in eBay's Community groups about So Many Things done by eBay Are Illegal.  Or, in the minds of those people, Should Be Illegal.

They almost never cite a federal or state law or regulation.  Or when they do, they are way, waaaay off base. 

There was one guy a couple years ago who said that it was illegal for eBay to collect state sales taxes  and he had found a law that says so:  The Sixteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. 

That's the one that established the federal income taxes.  It says: "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."  It was enacted in February of 1931.

As if any corporation in the United States of the size of eBay doesn't have a legal department, or pay a sizable monthly retainer to a separate law firm, so that they can get professional and reliable legal advice when they need it, before they start doing things "with out" their customers' (in eBay's case, sellers') "permission, and just when ever they want."  

I am also confused as to why a seller who is located in Indiana would be advised to contact the California Attorney General.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply